FOOD glorious FOOD (Read 132871 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 10:38:36 am
Great,

taken a day off work and all the day is fit for is updating the ipod and stuffing my face whlist hearing the rain beat in the windows.

So, that means buying lots of food i usually dont have time to go to a "real shop", but today I do.

Let's have a list of good food emoporiums throughout the land :please: and associated recipies (will be a bit sheffield biased from me, but i live there!):

DELI: Sapore opposite Big Tree pub in woodseats. Very cheap, small but particulary good choice of olives and salami. Cheap olive oils and awesome pesto. Takes a good while to get served, worth it....sarnies really tasty, odd soft bread.
Hard to park on main road, small shop, I think its cash only.

1st recipe: need: as much pasta as you want, 2 red chillis per person (deseeded), a lot of just steamed brocolli, i large blob of sapore green pesto, a large pile of sapore parmesan cheese, some provencal anchovies (herby more than just salty). Method: cook the pasta (steam brocolli over it too), drain, heat up chillis in olive oil in the pan, add all the stuff...... mix it up so the cheese makes it all melty / gooey..... serve..... bloody luvly ;D

BUTCHER:
On Abbey Lane, Woodseats end. Was a grumpy old git that opened for 5 hours once in a blue moon that sold water injected crap to old dears........ NOT now!! new owner, local meats........ really cheap, and...... he makes his own bacon! It is sooooooo good. I have long been searching for the bacon that *i had as kid*. You know, the stuff that doesnt just piss out white foam whan you cook it and that actually tastes of something. Well, for about 1/3 of the price of the shite you get in a supermarket it's all there: back, smoked, streaky...... nice. Try it in a BLT with the mayo 50:50 mustard - nice kick!

Next recipe: Steak and Ale pie:

Buy: 1 pack of puff pastry (unless you're some cooking god - cos it's bloody hard to make!), 1 kg of cooking steak - currently on offer at above butchers - a large bag of mushrooms, 1 bottle of bombardier beer  - you'll need it all to cook with..... so buy more than 1. 4 red onions. a big load of parsley

Fry off all the meat in batches to get it well sealed. Then the onions..... chuck some garlic in it and a big slodge of english mustard; 3 or 4 teaspoons at least.... add meat back... pour in all the beer... add the mushrooms reduce by about 1/3, add parsley, add 2 teaspoons of flour coated butter to thicken... season more  than you think...... pour into large oven dish... roll out the puff, drape over (seal with water).
Suddenly realise you've made enough for 6! Invite mates over, cook for 1 hr(ish) to get it all puffy, serve with british potatoes and green beans in butter.

- dont try a 3 hour limestone bouldering session at 9 the next morning though.... i felt a "bit heavy" after all that!

Right anyone, got a good recipe or food shop you'd like to share??

:please:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 01:56:59 pm
BUTCHER:
On Abbey Lane, Woodseats end. Was a grumpy old git that opened for 5 hours once in a blue moon that sold water injected crap to old dears........ NOT now!! new owner, local meats........ really cheap, and...... he makes his own bacon! It is sooooooo good. I have long been searching for the bacon that *i had as kid*. You know, the stuff that doesnt just piss out white foam whan you cook it and that actually tastes of something. Well, for about 1/3 of the price of the shite you get in a supermarket it's all there: back, smoked, streaky...... nice. Try it in a BLT with the mayo 50:50 mustard - nice kick!

Good shout doc, might pay a visit today, I love real bacon.

The other butcher in Woodseats is ok too, but the essential Woodseats listing you've not mentioned is Baldock the fishmonger. Fantastic selection of fish with friendly, helpful service. He supplies many local restaurants and have yet to have anything less than excellent from him.

Also noticed a farm shop in Totley the other day which I might try out, and Underground mentioned a really good one in Dronfield too.

Of course, the Chatsworth Farm Shop deserves a mention for it's awesome wild-boar sausages, and other meaty goodness from the estates animals.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#2 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 01:59:23 pm
Excellent thread. Although I have nothing to contribute I have thanks to pay.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:12:46 pm
 Might have to check out that butchers too.
 I'm with you Bubba on the Chatsworth tip. Not cheap but really good for locally reared meat/veg and locally caught game.
 On a more wholesale note, Lembas, just off Chesterfield road is a must for anyone who mixes their own meusli and eats dried fruit and nuts. Do your dried food shopping for the year in one hit, at a fraction of the cost.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:17:10 pm
i have a (fucking) good recipe with calamari. whats the word for calamari?
this stuff, i mean

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#5 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:21:31 pm
A few inclusions, Liverpool-wise:

Churchill's Foor Emporium, Tuebrook. I once interviewed the owner of this establishment when I was working for Liverpool City Council Press Office. He was a nice chap, a bit cheesy and nationalist, but by god does that man know quality produce. Their meats are excellent.

http://www.churchillsfoodemporium.co.uk/

A place on Bold Street, towards the top end called Matas (not sure of spelling). All manner of beans, nuts, seeds, and Arabic food. Very good value and friendly staff.

If you have never really popped your head around the Hope Street corner, then do so. Walk in the direction of the London Carriage Works, cross over and then shortly after on your left is a rather nice series of food shops, selling all manner of organic and exotic products. A little pricey in some instances, but extremely varied and interesting.

If you're looking for great Vege/Vegan food, head to the Egg Cafe just off Renshaw Street (ask locals for directions, they're sure to know). The Green Fish Cafe is similarly good and is located on the opposite side of the Renshaw turnoff for the Egg Cafe (again, ask locals). An old chap plays a harp on Sundays (possibly other days too) and he is sublime. Great vibes in both places.

If I can briefly point you towards possibly the best organic food store in the world... You'll have to head over to Wirral, but it really is worth the trip.
A place called Church Farm (not as small as it sounds!). The owner is an ex-firefighter and has recieved numerous organic food awards. I've recently heard that he's up for a very prestigious award (maybe an OBE or something).

http://www.churchfarm.org.uk/

Can be pricey, but with such an immense amount of products, you're sure to find something amazing. Also do a lot of themed farm tours, like the Haunted Hay Ride for Halloween.

Sure I have missed plenty others...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:23:54 pm
i have a (fucking) good recipe with calamari. whats the word for calamari?

Squid

Calamari in the UK is usually used to describe deep fried squid rings.

What's your recipe? After eating glorious squid in Ibiza I tried to grill my own but it came out rubbery and tasteless. Hard stuff to cook properly.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:34:59 pm
Mmmm squid. So nice if done properly.
Like you Bubba, my one attempt to cook was a bit of a disaster. Tried a salt and chilli recipe, but went a bit buck wild with the old sel, not good.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:46:20 pm
The game and cheese stall in Durham indoor market.  Stocks a constantly changing, selection of UK and foreign cheeses served as god intended (unrefrigerated, wrapped in waxed paper).  Occassionally you see a heavily-ripened delight even the serving lady has forgotten about: some halucinogenic brown / blue, chestnut-leaf wrapped, spanish stuff being a recent fantastic find (???? de Picos) . 

Next door there's a newsagents that sells bottles from the Durham Brewery - including the Great British Beer Festival (2005) winner Evensong, and Temptation: an Imperial Russian Stout that's incredibly pleasant and drinkable.... but 10% ABV!   

Recipe:
Buy cheese and oatcakes from market (avoiding the slightly samey local cheeses that are just a bit like chedder....).  Put cheese on oatcakes.  Serve with Durham Brewery Beers (perhaps the light, golden Cloister bitter, or maybe the St Cuthbert IPA).

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 02:50:16 pm
ok, sooo...

first: i think the best way to cook squids is to just use an iron plate. then olive oil and thats all.

anyway, the recipe.
clean the squids.
separate the head from the tentacles.
boil some cabbage.
make some broth (veggie).
using a mixer, mix toghether (not too thin), the boiled cabbage, the tentacles, garlic, curry, pepper, parsley.
stuff the squids heads with the mix (not too pressed), and close the top with a toothpick, putting together the edges.
in a large pan, put olive oil, garlic, red onions and let them cook until the onions get light brown, then add tomatoes and let cook.
when the salsa is good, put the quids in, cover and cook at low fire, adding the broth in casa it gets dry. cook for 20ish minutes.

enjoy.

Red

• addict
#10 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 03:07:26 pm
This maybe a little off thread but I would like to expose a criminal baker living Hathersage way. After driving for a good way to climb at Burbage North I felt inclined to tuck into a local pasty. Now, as a Cornish bird born n bred, I like to tinker with the idea of comparing pasty quality throughout the land. I am more often than not surprised at the high quality of proper pasty production throughout the North.

But after my *shocking* :o experience of witnessing a cooking crime of such unfathomable porportions I feel that this baking misdeed must be documented for the benefit of all avid pasty lovers out there.

My "pasty", costing more than a steep £2, consisted of dry, one-cm thick, UNbelievably salty pastry, filled with what could be no more than a spoonful of third-rate mince meat. No veg. No gravy. Absolutely no points on the pasty taste tally.  :boohoo:

Ginsters is a dirty word in my household. But compared to this, Ginsters is caviar and champage. 

Pasty lovers... beware

account_inactive

• forum hero
#11 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 03:20:34 pm
MMMMMM Ginsters

Red

• addict
#12 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 03:22:12 pm
 :spank:

account_inactive

• forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 03:58:22 pm
BUTCHER:

Good shout doc, might pay a visit today, I love real bacon.

I have just been to said shop and can confirm the loveliness of this bacon :)

It's not organic but it's tasty as fuck. Nice rec. fatdoc :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#15 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 04:21:40 pm
ta.....
 i was saving the fishmongers for another day.....

his turbot is known throughout the land!! (really, loads of foodies from derbys and chesterfield go there);

recipe:

1 bloody huge (and expensive) turbot..... in one bloody big flat but sided pan... just enough light stock / chablis (50:50) to half cover.... season well..... chop a small bucket full of fresh tarragon over it..... into searing oven.. 20 mins or so...... chuck a load of butter over it..... serve straight from pan by cutting it as a flat fish fillet.... bit messy BUT the presentation is mega!!!

best fish in the world (IMO), doest need to be any more complex than this!!! :thumbsup:

- i'm gonna try and get some squid to try reipe above soon. getting whole ones is a bit a of a mare though...... was the sheff castle market fish stall like these days???

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 04:23:40 pm

- I got some squid from Tesco but I'm sure Baldock will do them?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 04:26:13 pm
Should anyone ever find reason to end up in Aviemore, the butcher on the high street is superb, their venison sausages are excellent.

Best cullinary delights I have discoverd recently is the new Cadbury's Biscuit bars. All your favourite cadbury's chocolates, in biscuit bar form.

A have a great recipe for tuna omlettes if anyone fancies the idea.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#18 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 04:33:09 pm

Spill the knowledge - sounds like ideal post-climbing recovery food... and that much protein could be dangerous without proper instruction .

Dolly

• forum hero
#19 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 05:18:31 pm
Baldock's is indeed quality and .. he will suggest recipes as well if you ask for tips on how to cook/serve something.
Has anyone tried the stuffed toms at Sapore as well ? - the ones with chilli and tuna ?
Spicy but excellent.

I agree that Sapore's olives are good, but would suggest that the highest accolade in that much contested category "Best olives in Woodseats" should go to Kito's for the green served in basil infused olive oil

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
#20 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 06:21:52 pm

Also noticed a farm shop in Totley the other day which I might try out

Unfortunately rather disappointing, I'm afraid. The meat on the counter generally looks a bit tired and past its best.  :thumbsdown:

They do a good range of home cooked freezer food for when you're desperate though, and some rather good cakes.

Bragazzis, now - great food but what ridiculous prices!!!  :greed:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 06:26:39 pm

Cheers, I won't bother then.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#22 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 09, 2006, 08:04:57 pm
yeah those stuffed chilli bombs are wicked.... you eat fish then dolly???m not a total fool then :P

i'm gonna have to sturnly disagree about the olives.

the garlic stuffed ones from the deli are tooooo die for.... and cheap!! i take my own jars down, cos the containers they have do not meet my needs.
Kitos is a fine place...... lets extend the thread to restaurant recommendations within 1 hr of a quality bouldering venue.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#23 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 10, 2006, 08:00:52 am

Spill the knowledge - sounds like ideal post-climbing recovery food... and that much protein could be dangerous without proper instruction .

:) Not as bad as it sounds! Crucial bit is getting proportions right. 4 or 5 eggs to 1 can tuna is about right for two people, unless you are a horse.

Pretty simple really. Crucial bit is draining the tuna well and flaking it really finely into a pyrex jug (that no kitchen should be without) and adding the eggs, beating the mixture vigorously and leave it to stand for the egg to soak into the tuna before doing the rest. You then chop up the veggies of your choice; garlic and onion are essential, mushrooms (sliced and diced) and peppers or anything else you fancy optional. Tomatoes are good, but can kill the flavour, also better to add them later. Fry them lightly in a the pan, then carefully add to the egg/tuna mixture, and mix it all up, getting everything nicely coated in the egg. Add seasoning (and tomates now if you want) to taste; salt, ground black pepper and a bit of crushed mixed herbs are what I usually go for. Lightly oil the pan and warm it up, then proceed for usual omletting. If you are crap at flipping, like me, place a plate over the top of the pan, invert it, then slide the omlette back into the pan. This is probably a good ideaanyway, as it is a bit heavier than the usual omlette. If you still want more flavour /protein, add some cheese (stilton is great) to the top and fold it in half before serving; with a green salad is nice.

Proportions may be modified to suit if you desire; can go for a bit less tuna.

Red

• addict
#24 Re: FOOD glorious FOOD
October 10, 2006, 01:05:40 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal