UKBouldering.com

Michael Reardon on grit onsighting mission (Read 37007 times)

Tommy

• junky
Michael Reardon on grit onsighting mission
September 26, 2006, 10:46:45 am
According to his Si O'Connor-esque website www.freesoloist.com Mr Reardon has been on an onsight soloing mission this summer on the grit. Whateva...

Stanage Without Oxygen - OS solo
Warm Love - OS solo  :o
Neon Dust - OS solo

It's almost funny (as are the pictures)  :-\

What's also quite funny is the pic at the bottom of Si's 8a profile vs. Reardon's pic at the bottom of his "About" page.  :guilty:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
What an absolutely sickening character.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Fucking genious, pass me the shotgun, I don't know who to do first me or him

http://img.ukclimbing.com/i/38499.jpg
http://www.freesoloist.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/blood3.jpg
Compare and contrast

Favourite climbing area: Anywhere in Ireland

"Warmlove" (E6 7a) with a sheep carcass as a crashpad - Stanage, England Hmmm, who'd say a thing like that?   :-\

http://www.freesoloist.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/GalleryGapOneArm.jpg
http://img.ukclimbing.com/i/45962.jpg
Compare and contrast

Neon Sunset indeed :whistle:

Don't forget kids, "Life's short - play hard"  :wank:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Hey, you beat Mick posting this as a news item  :lol:

Watching Return2Sender, I got some suspicions that this guy was a bit smarter and not quite the complete cock he pretends to be. Those suspicions are fading a bit now...

Tommy

• junky
I know - It's hilarious isn't it??! It's made my day for sure.  :P

Thanks for posting up the images - I'm a bit too dumb to work it out. I don't think I would have taken much notice of it all if it wasn't for the rediculous idea of stating that he OS'd WL, ND and SWO in the middle of the summer! And he's a totally normal standard climber. I think he should have set his aims a little lower  :lol:

Monolith

• forum hero
And judging by the information from his 'about me' section, it looks like he might well be making a 'blockbuster' about himself. Maybe we could get some odds on that, could be worth a dabble.

AndiT

• forum abuser
To describe the Grit in mere words is unconscionable.

:agree: :wank:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
" For the uninitiated, the Burren is a primitive area bigger than The Grit of England, with MORE rock of even BETTER quality. "
You what !?

Monolith

• forum hero
This tosser can't be for real. Has anyone else been experiencing elevated blood pressure over the last hour from this tool?
Predictably enough, his videos are set to pentatonic masturbation efforts.

Tommy

• junky
He's the US version of Si O' - there's a lot of people who can't stand him over there and doubt pretty much everything he's done. The one person who has stuck by is Bachar who claims he's the "real deal."

Personally I've bouldered with him once in the UK (during his trip this summer) and he is a bit of a wally. I was asking him about the routes that he'd soloed on his trips to Ireland and England but he was really cagey about what he'd done only saying "oh, I just soloed a bunch of stuff.... Man... that Grit IS rough!" Then he spouts all over his website about his sends once he gets back. Hmmm.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
" For the uninitiated, the Burren is a primitive area bigger than The Grit of England, with MORE rock of even BETTER quality. "
You what !?

Well it's partially true, the area is bigger, with more rock, if you count the cliffs of Moher. Wish he had gone soloing there.

He must be taking the piss.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
What bigger in terms of length of proper crag than all the grit crags in the Peak, Yorkshire, North Pennines and Northumberland combined?? Stanage alone is nearly 5miles long! Peak grit has six hefty guidebooks worth of routes. :shrug:

grimer

• forum hero
Rock and Ice mag got me to hook up with him to do a feature on his grit rampage in the summer. Due out soon!!!

AndiT

• forum abuser
I've heard about this, should be a treat!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 I'm intrigued. What was your take on him, or would that spoil article for me?

SA Chris

• forum hero
What bigger in terms of length of proper crag than all the grit crags in the Peak, Yorkshire, North Pennines and Northumberland combined?? Stanage alone is nearly 5miles long! Peak grit has six hefty guidebooks worth of routes. :shrug:

Based on surface area of rock, it is possibly bigger, I think The Burren is a pretty big area. The cliffs of Moher are a hundred or so feet high and extend for a couple of miles. 

grimer

• forum hero
I'm intrigued. What was your take on him, or would that spoil article for me?

That's not a fair question to ask, sir!

Actually, what with the weather, and other things, his visit, and ticklist was pretty underwhelming. As regards to Neon Dust, he later told me he had only done the boulder problem start then traversed into Valkyrie. I explained to him that ND, E6 7a, was the route, but hey ho. In the R&I still wanted a narticle but there wasn't all that much to say about MR.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Based on surface area of rock, it is possibly bigger, I think The Burren is a pretty big area. The cliffs of Moher are a hundred or so feet high and extend for a couple of miles. 
That's Stanage out of the way then, just the rest of the peak, yorkshire, northumberland.... ;)

Actually, what with the weather, and other things, his visit, and ticklist was pretty underwhelming.
I don't know, Warm Love onsight, in the heat, above a rotting sheep is quite impressive.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
'grizzly man'

SA Chris

• forum hero
That's Stanage out of the way then, just the rest of the peak, yorkshire, northumberland.... ;)

Actually they are

230 metres above the ground at their highest point and 8km long

but actually outside "the Burren" anyway.

Talk about over analysis of an off-the-cuff comment. ::) :)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Well i'm going to be going there next year to look for myself and god help you Chris if I find you've been telling me porkys
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:42:01 pm by Bonjoy »

account_inactive

• forum hero
I had never heard of this guy until now.  I've just sat through his 'circuit 2' video.  Shit sandwich.  I was waiting for the camera to pan back and show massive walls, not see him hanging off massive jugs :jaw:

He doesn't even look like he should be able to pull down. But then again you don't need to be strong to climb trad do you ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Well i'm going to be going there next year to look for myself and god help you Chris if I find you've been telling me porkys

Go, it's fantastic. Do you surf at all? Ailladie (or however it's spelt) is amazing, Pembroke without holds. Some amazing boulders at it's base. Murroughkilly is worth a visit just to check out the limestone pavements. Cliiffs of Moher are worth a look to see the biggest things you would never want to climb; makes the Culm Coast look tame.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Reardon on Heason;

"The ground doesn't lie, and neither do the tendons and ligaments in your legs, or fine bones in your wrists and hands, or the plates of the skull … or the spine. Heason laid on the ground in a state of shock, believing he'd “just get up and have another go.” Then, as time passed, he realized he'd broken both ankles, doing severe soft-tissue damage to one of them — damage that would take years to heal. “It hurt a bit,” says Heason. “But not as much as I'd have expected broken bones to.”

Idol eyes

• junky
Er, what happened to Mr Heason? is he allright?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal