UKBouldering.com

elbow grease (Read 4936 times)

dave

elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 12:55:11 pm
At the moment i seem to have summert up wi me right elbow - basically it hurts at the point where the tricep meets the elbow joint. There is no pain or owt on the inside of the joint. Hurts when pushing down on stuff (like flushing the bog), and also when hanging straight armed, say from a jug :crying: .  Don't know exactly when this started, but it seems to have been for a few weeks now and its not getting any better. Generally i'm only aware of it whilst climbing when warming up, but yesterday was hurting towards the end of the day (maybe cos i was bouldering all day). The left elbow is fine.

Does anyone have any experience of this? if so, what is it, and is there anything i can do except rest it and see how it goes? Tried icing it last night but it did fuck all bar give me a very cold elbow.

Cheerz.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 03:13:20 pm
I had something that sounds not entirely dissimilar about a year ago, the pain was right inside the arm above the elbow joint and was really achey. At the time I switched to doing less steep stuff and took it easy for about a week before finding it was ok again.

Some people tell me that you should still ICE injuries even when you don't think its helping. It takes the swelling down and can aid recovery. the sames true of Ibruprofen, which can act as an anti inflammatory so can help the healing process.

dave

#2 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 03:18:48 pm
Cheers. would ice it more and drop some ibs, but its not swollen at all (completely symetrical with the other elbow) it just aches.

Hope some rest and a bit of massage will work.

Paz

• junky
#3 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 03:45:52 pm
Alright son,

You know I've had a bit of elbow gyp since Ysgo but basically my shoulder/back/neck started hurting recently too.  
I'd re-iterate the same old advice: go to the Physio.  This guy basically reckoned that a lot of pain can result anywhere from stretching the nervous system by being a goddamn lazy slouching mutha.  He also performed a minor miracle with Matthias (who had finger pain and shoulder pain from a neck thing) before he came to the peak with me.  

The shoulder shrugging/chest expanding shit on topbouldering really helped but even if you don't have a related postural problem which may be the route cause, circa thirty squid is well worth it if that's the cost of a chance of getting rid of the pain and getting back to climbing.  It ain't worth scrimping over.  

If you don't act on it then - JAMONE - , you might have to start doing some routes.

dave

#4 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 03:49:43 pm
Cheerz for da advice brutha. I don't think I'm into physio territory yet, I'll just see how a bit of rest and slabs does it. But I will bear it in mind. :wink:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#5 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 04:18:12 pm
The reason you have pain is that the tendon has become inflamed as it passes into the sheath (schoolboy sn**ger) and that is the achey pain. The icing can take the tendon swelling and inflamation down so that it can heal... trust me I'm not a doctor  :wink:

dave

#6 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 04:22:30 pm
Aaaaaa-men to that brother.

Testify!

mozzer

• addict
#7 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 05:23:38 pm
yeah i got this after font once, i call it "font elbow".

I get it when i do dynamic slappy stuff, as i am weak.

Only cure i found was rest, but it didnt take long - couple of weeks - but then if you have already had it and climbed on it i would bung a bit of ice on i t- cant hurt it after all.

maybe just concentrate on doing easier stuff slowly ad non dynamically - though i am sure you would prefer to beef up them...

dave

#8 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 08:39:03 pm
Nah its not "Font elbow", when i get that its right in the centre of the joint, on both elbows, and it fucking hurts, more than this!

mozzer

• addict
#9 elbow grease
May 28, 2003, 11:41:20 pm
Doesnt sound cool then.

But i would just say the same - maybe give it a rest of about a week, put a bit of ice on it when it hurts for 10 mins, then if it is still fucked then resign yoursen to being a calves-cole slabmeister for the rest of your days.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal