UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120720 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I liked Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, but I must have been in my mid 20s by then, and I suspect I saw the abridged version.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Molly's Game was watchable, forgettable entertainment. Jessica Chastain puts in a brilliant performance, and is extremely good looking, which helps. I wouldn't race out to see it, but if you feel like a pleasant couple of hours of not thinking too much, its worth a watch.

tomtom

• forum hero
I loved Star Wars. Thought it one of the best if not the best.

Though bear in mind it was the first time I’d been to the flicks in 2 years....

TobyD

• forum hero
darkest hour thought this was pretty disappointing. Great performance from Gary Oldman, but really flat uninvolving narrative. 6.5/10

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Bugger... was planning to go and see that.  Will go and watch the Bale Western instead I think

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Went to see Three Billboards yadda yadda yadda yesterday and thought it was excellent! Proper darkly hilarious - recommended!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I loved Star Wars. Thought it one of the best if not the best.

I though it was OK, some really good set pieces, but some really weak bits, some lame plot development and some really weak bits that could have been cut out completely. Son loved it though, sat enrapt for the whole thing.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Good Time - I thought this was fantastic. Directed by the Safdie brothers, who I knew nothing about. Am now on a mission to see their other stuff (Daddy Longlegs, Heaven Knows What, etc). Rough, visceral, bleak NY crime story that I wasn’t sure I’d have the appetite for, but ended up being incredibly compelling. Robert Pattinson needs to do more films like this.

It’s on Netflix.

As is Tresspass Against Us, which was weak, cliched and a total waste of the talents of the numerous big names involved. To be avoided.

tomtom

• forum hero
OK, Long haul flight film watching opportunity review time from TomTom... (part 1)

1. Dunkirk. Excellent. A great film with no real story line (apart from the evolving chaos of Dunkirk) but a beautifully and horrifically filmed intertwining of characters. Really good.
2. Hacksaw Ridge. A crap film with a superb (real) story line. Watchable - because the true story about the main character is interesting and compelling - but general Hollywood schmaltz turned up to 11. If you watch it  - watch the credits where they have interview clips from the real characters..
3. The Mountain Between Us. I have no idea why I watched this (Idris Elba & Kate W trapped up a mountain after a plane crash) but it was actually pretty good. I mean I wouldnt pay to go and see it, but it pleasantly ocupied a couple of hours over Siberia...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
TobyD - Me and W went to see Darkest Hour last night after all & really enjoyed it.  Oldman is very convincing as Churchill which is some feat of acting.  I'd give it another point at least  :) 7.5..

Chris - Ben Mendelson's brilliant in it as George V.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Caught Manchester by the Sea free on Prime cos it got loads of good reviews. Decent acting etc but blimey it's depressing as fuck. Don't keep hoping for a schmaltzy happy ending cos you ain't gonna get one. Not a comedy.  :popcorn: :wavecry:

Teaboy

• forum hero
In a similar vein I started to watch Moonlight on Amazon Prime but switched off halfway through. The central premise, such as it is, was a bit unlikely. Couldn't see what the fuss was about.

andy popp

• forum hero
In a similar vein I started to watch Moonlight on Amazon Prime but switched off halfway through. The central premise, such as it is, was a bit unlikely. Couldn't see what the fuss was about.

What was unlikely? I don't understand. Its a film that takes its time to unfold, switching it off halfway really doesn't do it justice. And yes, Manchester by the Sea is bleak but that doesn't mean it can't be a good film.

Saw Darkest Hour lest night (actually out at the cinema for once) and concur with FD: very worthwhile. I realised how little I knew about a really critical period. And I thought there was considerable drama and tension. I liked that Oldman didn't just do a Churchill impression, the voice and everything, but actually acted, trying and show a real, fully rounded person.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

tomtom

• forum hero
Long haul flight film review part II (the return journey..)

Battle of the sexes. Excellent. 70's tennis/equality/love story - Great film - well worth seeing. Nearly didn't bother watching it, but glad I did.

Patriot Day. This should be wank (hollywood re-enactment of 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and manhunt) but its well told and the characters are all engaging. I really quite enjoyed it.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I really enjoyed Manchester by the Sea because it didn't have a nice happy tied up with a bow ending. It was very life like and the scene where they bump into each other in the street is one of the most amazing scenes I've seen. Just so raw and believable.

Moonlight is worth a watch all the way to the end.

Saw 3 Billboards last night and I really enjoyed it. Great acting throughout by everyone and a really interesting story touching on many different things. I can't really find a fault.

Looking forward to Darkest Hour and the I,Tonya trailer looked good.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I really enjoyed Manchester by the Sea because it didn't have a nice happy tied up with a bow ending. It was very life like and the scene where they bump into each other in the street is one of the most amazing scenes I've seen. Just so raw and believable..
I agree that was a fine scene and probably the best of the film. I didn't say it was a bad film, and on reflection I think I enjoyed it overall, certainly didn't feel the need to switch it off. Think my main point is you have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yeah.  Me and W went to see Manchester by the Sea at the cinema on a damp dark miserable lunchtime last year.  I think it’s a fantastic film.  So much packed in with so little going on.

Mind you, the Casey Affleck “revelations” are not good...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Battle of the sexes. Excellent. 70's tennis/equality/love story

Now, that's is a niche compound genre.  Time to dig out my mislaid script for a steam-punk horror comedy set in the world of psychiatry.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Freefire - Umm, lots of people shoot at each other...in the 1970s. Passed the time of a turbo session. Free on Prime.

tomtom

• forum hero
Nearly forgot (thats what a 15 hour flight does to you...)

I also unexpectedly really enjoyed "Logan Lucky" which I'd never heard of... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5439796/

A heist film set in redneck Virginia... Channing Tatum actually does some acting (rather than just posing/flexing in front of the lens) and Daniel Craig as a slightly creepy southern accented vault cracker... Oh - and the bad sith dude from Starwars (lots of curly hair and big lips - don't know his name) as a one armed bar man. Funny - and a decent plot...

TobyD

• forum hero
For anyone who has seen both....

Coco or 3 Billboards? Which is better?

TobyD

• forum hero
Just went to see Coco late afternoon today.

Pretty dark subject matter for animation. It's a bit like Spirited Away, but sadly Disney doesn't come close to Studio Ghibli for amazing animated films in my opinion. Saying that some of the animation in Coco is incredible, and it's a really entertaining totally unchallenging hour and a half of entertainment. 7.5/10

user deactivated

Have you guys seen 'a dark song'? Be interested to hear what you think, I really enjoyed it.

TobyD

• forum hero
The shape of water

Saw this yesterday at the Showroom. Absolutely brilliant movie almost better for the fact that 20 minutes in I thought it was going to be terrible. Stick with it, it's a funny, charming wierd story. It has some similarities to Pan's Labyrinth, I saw that a long time ago so I'd be hard pressed to say which was better, this is definitely worth the price of a cinema ticket though.   8.5/10

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal