UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1136871 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Watched Sicario the other day, although many of the reviews were glowing, I thought it was a little confused about whether it wanted to be an action film, or  a sombre comment on the failure of the us to control the drugs trade and immigration from Mexico. I don't mind a film not confirming to genre, but Sicario didn't quite do either effectively for me. 6/10.

standard

• obsessive maniac
The Big Short on netflix.
Brilliant performances.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Got round to Pacific Rim - giant robots fight giant monsters, what's not to like. With added Luther. Leave brain behind and enjoy.

And the name begs for a pr0n remake.

tomtom

• forum hero
Got round to Pacific Rim - giant robots fight giant monsters, what's not to like. With added Luther. Leave brain behind and enjoy.

Yeah it is very much what you'd expect.. but alright for a leave brain at the door.

For Sicarro, I thought the point of it was to be both a tense action and 'it's all shit' doom and gloom film... I quite liked it. MrsTT didn't though - despite her being a Blunt (Emily not James) enthusiast...

Paul B

• forum hero

That film is utter toss!

10 Cloverfield Lane was disappointing too with its change in genre 15 minutes before the (poor) ending!

TobyD

• forum hero

That film is utter toss!!

Snob. I thought it was brilliant. You just don't know how to appreciate giant nuclear alien lizards Paul.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber

I thought it was brain free fun. A bit like Godzilla should have been but  wasn't.

Paul B

• forum hero
I saw it in the cinema. It was the whiney male lead that was the final nail in the coffin for me!

So far this trip I've enjoyed the new Star Trek (light hearted scifi) and The Infiltrator (not overly complex but some good acting).

SA Chris

• forum hero

That film is utter toss!

In headline news Paul B adds something else to his list that he doesn't like.

TobyD

• forum hero
Dr Strange went to see this yesterday. I was a bit disappointed, having read a couple of glowing reviews. It's not awful; just slightly underwhelming. A bit like a sort of more wizard-y, less sci-fi version of the matrix. Enjoyable, but pretty forgettable.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Finally watched Ex-Machina yesterday and loved it.  Oscar Isaac is such a great actor.  Also enjoyed Fassbender's portrayal of Steve Jobs yesterday evening. 

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Just watched the new Star Wars film again this afternoon and it was much better than when I saw it at the cinema last December.  I was a bit ambivalent last year but loved it today.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
A good weekend of film watching then! I need to watch Star Wars again, enjoyed it first time round, but think a second viewing will be worth it. You seen trailers for next one yet?

TobyD

• forum hero
I watched The Accountant last night; highly enjoyable superior silly action movie. Ignore the almost universally poor reviews, the plot isn't exactly watertight and it may not present the most realistic impression of an autistic disorder, but it's a fun action movie, what do you expect? Well, running around with big guns mainly, with the odd smart bit of dialogue. It has these.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Finally watched Ex-Machina yesterday and loved it.  Oscar Isaac is such a great actor.  Also enjoyed Fassbender's portrayal of Steve Jobs yesterday evening.

I watched Ex-Machina the other week, thought it was great - really weird vibe to the whole thing, almost The Shining-esque.

TobyD

• forum hero
Just went to see arrival , absolutely 10/10. An incredible film of aesthetic beauty, sophisticated enough yet with enough action and drama to make it constantly compelling.

Well worth seeing in the cinema too, I doubt if the cinematography would have the same impact on a smaller screen. Mark Kermode wrote an excellent review: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/13/arrival-review-poetic-vision-contact-aliens

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I REALLY want to see this - thanks for the kick up the arse.  I'll go this week.

T_B

• forum hero
Whilst stylistically it looks/sounds great, I didn't think it quite got there and was a bit dull overall. 7/10 for me.

tomtom

• forum hero
MrsTT went to see this - with TTjnr (mum and baby screening @home in Manchester).....

She thought it was alright but a bit slow and boring (her words)... she's a sci fi fan too. Not sure whether havonggn a 4 month baby gurgling on her lap removed from the experience but there you go.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Just watched the new Star Wars film again this afternoon and it was much better than when I saw it at the cinema last December.  I was a bit ambivalent last year but loved it today.

Kids just started watching them after the Lego Star Wars DVD for about 4 months (which are ace btw).

Had a right dilemma what order to let them watch them in, but finally plugged for (rightly or wrongly) going from 1 to 7, but unlikely to get through them all before Rogue 1 is released (plus they are a bit young for The Force Awakens).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Had a right dilemma what order to let them watch them in, but finally plugged for (rightly or wrongly) going from 1 to 7, but unlikely to get through them all before Rogue 1 is released (plus they are a bit young for The Force Awakens).

Are you aiming to watch them in the chronological order of the stories? Rogue 1 is the first anthology film and is set between episodes 3 and 4 and isn't the VIII instalment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
OK, we're double screwed then. going to be a stretch of parenting letting a 4 year old watch PG 12.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Got round to watching Everybody Wants Some the other night. Reviews were a bit lukewarm as in not as good as Dazed and Confused, which is great and to which it's a sort of semi sequel with different characters. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Tonks along nicely looking at a college baseball team over a few days as new team members arrive. Focuses pretty much purely on the jocks rubbing along in a fairly simple time. Jesus I'd go and live there.

36chambers

• forum hero
GF dragged me to go see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them yesterday. As someone who thinks Harry Potter is hogwash, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

tomtom

• forum hero
GF dragged me to go see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them yesterday. As someone who thinks Harry Potter is hogwash, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

That's nearly as compelling as Denses recommendation for Terminator 19. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal