UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120399 times)

dunnyg

• forum hero
After a filmathon due to long haul flight, i was impressed by the revenant out of the 10+ films watched. Interesting picture of the old life out west thing, not too cheery mind...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I went to the premiere of my friend Jon's new film at BFI Southbank on Saturday night. It was showing as part of the London Comedy Film Festival. In fact, it won the only award the festival gives out, which is a bit cool.

Anyway, it's called Superbob, and stars Brett Goldstein (stand-up comic, known for Derek and Drifters), Catherine Tate and a bunch of other people. It's a Brit indie film, made on a tiny budget. It's proper funny and I laughed my cock off. They're hoping to have distribution sorted soon, so hopefully it'll be coming to a cinema near you. Go see it if you get chance.

Teaser:

xx

Finally was able to catch this on DVD, after it sadly didn't seem to get a wide distribution deal. Not sure why not as it's great fun. Well made, nothing in it shouts 'low budget'. It's very funny. Could well be a cult classic. Now on Lovefilm and probably other places also. The DVD extras are worth a watch also.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched Look Who's Back the other and found it quite amusing, yet at the same time making a very important point.

Adolf Hitler wakes up in the 21st century. He quickly gains media attention , but whereas Germany finds him hilarious and charming, Hitler makes some serious observations about society.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
For the first time in history Fiend and Slackline inadvertently agree on something!

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,3825.1125.html

Hitler is somehow teleported from 1945 to 2011 and struggles to come to terms with the modern and disarmingly peaceful world who treat him as a performing art novelty. An entertaining and provocative concept although it errrs more towards pantomine arrogance in his perspective rather than frustrated evil.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Recently watched and enjoyed:

Amal  a really nice 2008 film about an Indian rickshaw driver. On Netflix.

Everybody Wants Some!! Richard Linklater's new film - if you liked Dazed and Confused, you'll like this. It's a bit lighter, but also a bit funnier. Not laugh a minute, more rye smile.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Amal  a really nice 2008 film about an Indian rickshaw driver. On Netflix.

Another misread!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Get yer mind out the gutter!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

cha1n

• forum hero
I thought the Experimenter was quite good; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3726704/

I think they could have done things to make it better but I didn't know a lot about the psychological experimentation that went on back then, so found it interesting because of that.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Don't know if it's been mentioned but sounds along the lines of what chains just mentioned "the killing room" was quite good

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I finally saw The Revenant. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has grown up on the Taiga. Even willing, the disbelief is impossible to suspend. Everyone in the film would be dead ten times over from hypothermia before reaching any form of civilisation. As a smaller critique: the revenge motif felt totally pointless and degrading.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:07:25 am by jwi »

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Victoria is an amazing piece of film making. Well made watchable thriller that builds to an impressive climax. Great acting. Really believable. Would be a good movie if filmed normally. The fact it is shot with a single almost flawless 134 minute take is incredible.  :o

TheTwig

• stalker
I finally saw The Revenant. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has grown up on the Taiga. Even willing, the disbelief is impossible to suspend. Everyone in the film would be dead ten times over from hypothermia before reaching any form of civilisation. As a smaller critique: the revenge motif felt totally pointless and degrading.

That was literally the only part of the film that I didn't like. He would have died of cold basically instantly! Am I right in thinking that in the (true) original story, not only did 'the revenant' NOT seek revenge on the guy that nearly killed him, but the location was in a warmer clime? (i.e not -30c every night or whatever).

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot

tomtom

• forum hero

That was literally the only part of the film that I didn't like. He would have died of cold basically instantly! Am I right in thinking that in the (true) original story, not only did 'the revenant' NOT seek revenge on the guy that nearly killed him, but the location was in a warmer clime? (i.e not -30c every night or whatever).

The original story was about a lad getting lost on his way back from a nightclub in Rotherham... ;)

but don't let hollywood get facts in the way of a good story....

a dense loner

• forum hero
So basically like the bible except it was retold immediately and not 300 years later

tomtom

• forum hero
So basically like the bible except it was retold immediately and not 300 years later

Naa, thats Terminator Salvation...

DubDom

• menacing presence
Bit highfalutin for some perhaps but....
http://www.tarkovsky.co.uk

a dense loner

• forum hero
It's quite a strange thing to say but Patrick Swayze and Canoe Reeves couldn't be bettered! Fantastic film. There are some remakes out there which you just know are going to be terrible, they have to be! I've not been able to bring myself to watch the new one.

I was looking forward to the new Bourne, not that this is a remake, until I saw an advert for it earlier. Just him careering down the road with dozens of cars being flung everywhere! I just thought fuck off you're not a transformers movie!

tomtom

• forum hero
From this weekends transatlantic viewing...

Deadpool: Superb - loved it. Daft, funny, entertaining. Great pisstake on the Marvel franchises...

Money Monster: Clooney & Julia Roberts in TV studio siege drama. Really good - might sound unlikely, but well worth a watch.

Nice Guys: 'Buddy cop movie' should have put me off. Well, it was alright but... meh...

The Hateful 8: Superb - fell asleep for 30 min of it, but another pointless meandering potter from Tarantino in a cowboy setting - but what a WONDERFUL pointless meandering...

Legend: Krays film - thought it might be a Guy Ritchie 'alright mate, bang bang' film - but it wasnt. Missed last 30 min (plane landing) but thought it was pretty good. About the characters more than the myth...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Legend: Krays film - thought it might be a Guy Ritchie 'alright mate, bang bang' film - but it wasnt. Missed last 30 min (plane landing) but thought it was pretty good. About the characters more than the myth...

How did it measure up to the old Kemp brothers version?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099951/

tomtom

• forum hero

How did it measure up to the old Kemp brothers version?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099951/

Not seen it Chris - but this newer one one good enough to make me disappointed when I missed the end...

Duma

• forum hero
I really enjoyed the Krays film, and that's as someone with no real interest in the story beforehand

SA Chris

• forum hero
They are fictional characters btw, these are the true life people the stories are based on

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
the girl with all the gifts

I went to see this yesterday, afterwards I was seized by a powerful urge to walk into see finding dory.... it makes 28 days later look like the little princess. A hugely effective piece of movie making but not for the squeamish. The shots of the Telecom tower are incredible, and some of the acting is excellent. Definitely worth seeing in the cinema.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The Bicycle Thieves currently on BBC iplayer

A lovely, sad, tale beautifully told (no zombies, explosions or 3D).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal