UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1132330 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

I guess good films often divide opinion! Having now watched it I was safe to read Kermode's review and, as usual, he hit the nail on the head.

Yup. I'd go with that - having seen the film I can now read the review :)

tomtom

• forum hero
Sci fi buffs watch BBC2 now.. Tomorrows Worlds... History ifs pence fiction...

tomtom

• forum hero
Sci fi buffs watch BBC2 now.. Tomorrows Worlds... History ifs pence fiction...

Sorry was typed on phone.

Watched this last night - new series on BBC2 "Tomorrows worlds. The History of science fiction" - should be in iPlayer. Interesting (not bowled over interesting but good) look at how Sci-fi developed. Talking to some of the directors/stars etc.. involved.. It moves about quite alot - (it is over 4 progrms so will probably re-visit some) but well worth a watch for the sci fi buff...

tim palmer

• forum abuser
TP must have been watching a completely different film. I thought the human side was so well done, I actually had a lump in my throat at a few points.

Just because the film shows you something which is upsetting doesn't mean the characters are well constructed, the father daughter relationship was a lazy route one method of getting an emotional response out of the audience. 
The plot was totally predictable up until the final passage which was utterly risible

a dense loner

• forum hero
Watched edge of tomorrow on plane, excellent

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
 :2thumbsup:  :punk:

WAS my film of the year before Interstellar. I think I enjoyed them both equally, personally.

kelvin

• forum hero

The plot was totally predictable up until the final passage which was utterly risible

The more time passes since I watched the film, the more I agree with this. The ending is shocking.

Gallant

• player
I quite liked the first two thirds of Interstellar, the last third definitely lowered it from an amazing film to just quite a good one, far too much pseudo science, and reliance of graphics that will almost definitely age terribly in a year or two.

I also caught Imitation Game which I thought was well acted through out, although I felt it was rather embarassing to put a few lines of script on the end explaining quite a brilliant mind killed himself at a young age due to persecution from the government and society at large as though it was unimportant, or that a pardon many a year after his death somehow made this okay.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Searching For Sugarman

Really enjoyed this documentary. Pretty simple stuff,  fascinating story well told.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Searching For Sugarman

Really enjoyed this documentary. Pretty simple stuff,  fascinating story well told.

Great isn't it, one of the best.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Certainly an interesting story, and one quite close to my heart

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=20503.0

galpinos

• forum hero
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Watched this over the weekend. Really good, especially if you like Wes Anderson, but could be a bit too wanky for some. One of his best in my opinion.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The Hunger Games Mockingjay

Saw this at the weekend, when decided i wasn't quite in the mood for a winter's sleep.
Thought it was great despite low expectations and not having seen the other 2 films, or read any of it. Entertaining media satire, with a girl who shoots down bombers with explosiding arrows, what more could you want?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Just got back from wathching 'what we do in the shadows', me and the misses thought it was great. too lazy to post links etc.. look it up

kelvin

• forum hero
Watched Predestination the other evening, with Ethan Hawke. Nice film actually, a very different twist to the time travel conundrum than Interstellar and certainly wasn't a waste of a couple of hours.

Doylo

• forum hero
I thought Interstellar was quality. Spectacle combined with human emotion, doesn't matter to me that some of the science is speculative. No one makes blockbusters as bold and thought provoking as Nolan IMO.

andy popp

• forum hero
Not in the cinema but just watched and loved 'We Are the Best' about three 13 year old girls forming a punk band in Stockholm in 1982. Actually just a great film about friendship and it totally cut the mustard with my ultra-feminist 16 yr old daughter.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Expect everyone has seen the Star Wars trailer (I'm actually quite optimistic now) but what if George Lucas was directing the new film.......

https://www.youtube.com/embed/v93Jh6JNBng

Doylo

• forum hero
Yes thank fuck he's not!

tomtom

• forum hero
No jaja binks? :(

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I'm a sucker for Liam Neeson in Taken and Taken2 so watched "Non-Stop" last night.  A completely ridiculous plane hijack tale.  It's really daft but great.

Jasper - that Star Wars Lucas piss-take is brilliant.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
On a similar note we watched 3000 Miles To Graceland the other night:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0233142/

Completely ridiculous but very entertaining.

Cheers FD, need some more mindless entertainment so that'll do nicely!

a dense loner

• forum hero
3000 miles is great, will get that non-stop. I don't want to watch taken 3 but I know I will, he's so good.
A new Star Wars can get to fuck.

kelvin

• forum hero
Saw the new lightsaber and thought 'yeah, far too easy to cut your own bollocks off with that thing'.

tomtom

• forum hero
Dawn of the planet of the apes etc...

Log.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal