UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1134026 times)

Plattsy

• forum hero
These are all excellent and worth a watch.
Noah
Transcendence
Godzilla (2013)
Blue Ruin

Also watched Under the skin. If you like your films weird (and I usually do) and full visual metaphors about Scarlett Johansson playing an alien harvesting single Glaswegian men then this is for you. I think I'll need to watch it again in a futile attempt to understand what the hell is going on or not as the case maybe. This movie I think will polarise people. I'm leaning towards it being shit but will decide when I get around to watching it again.

kelvin

• forum hero
Just watched The Giver - not sure what to make of it. Well made, shot in B&W for a good part of it and feel like I should learn something from it but not sure what. Wasn't a wasted couple of hours for sure but think it was maybe a family film with a moral tale to tell, Sci-fi Hans Christian Anderson? Quite surreal in parts. Certainly played on the emotions towards the end.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
20,000 Days on Earth - Brilliant whether you're a Nick Cave fan or not.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
20,000 Days on Earth - Brilliant whether you're a Nick Cave fan or not.

Keen to see this, have it reserved ready for its release on DVD on the 20th.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
A Most Wanted Man - Enjoyable but the ending left me a little underwhelmed. Good to see the late Seymour Hoffman though.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Recorded The Guard the other night. Really enjoyable. Gleeson is great in it. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1540133/

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Gone Girl. Really good. Another great film starring the massively underrated Ben Affleck.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I watched the Desendants the other night. I thought it was brilliant and well deserving of the best writing oscar. It is one of those films which could have easily strayed into the overly twee territory of Juno but it doesn't and is well worth a watch.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched X-Men Days Of Future Past today wanting some superhero escapism.

Had the odd good bit (the really fast guy was brilliant) but the plot was appallingly obvious and over sentimental and it also just seemed like a reworking of the ideas in Terminator.

Not very good.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
You can tell the nights are drawing in.  "Flight" was good (even with UKBs least favourite actor in a supporting role).

Stubbs

Watched Edge of Tomorrow on Sunday, despite starring Tom Cruise, and essentially being a sci fi Groundhog Day (as Fiend mentioned earlier) it was thoroughly entertaining.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Oh yeah :punk:

XMen Days Of Future Past I thought was the best in the series, I'm not a comic fan and have no particular love affair with the films, but I just thought it had the most purpose to all the superheroing around, good context and good characters :shrug:

Saw Lucy recently. It was okay, started well but could have been a lot better, gone into the characters trauma more and made more of the background conflict. Very much a poor man's Limitless directed by a teenager for an MTV slot  :chair:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, the other night after it being on the digibox for about a year. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Albert Finney are very good, rest of cast average. Good premise, and a good storyline, but it kind of peters out, as though they weren't sure how to end it.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Ha good, I couldn't be bothered to stick it out to the end. Weird when you like the actors and the story is good but still the film does nothing for you

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Edge of Tomorrow on Sunday, despite starring Tom Cruise, and essentially being a sci fi Groundhog Day (as Fiend mentioned earlier) it was thoroughly entertaining.
I agree, just watched it.

Sci Fi Groundhog Day having already been done brilliantly in Source Code I was still suspicious (especially with Tom Cruise starring) but as the orc botherer said it was more Starship Troopers style. Really good.

Nice one Fiend.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

You can tell the nights are drawing in.

My excuse is that I've been confined to the sofa for the past two days.

Watched Filth earlier too. Would be better if you've not read the book but they've made a good job of it.

Evil

• addict
Watched The Machine the other night. Really enjoyed it, although it's a low budget british sci-fi film, which kind of sounds unpromising (surely you need expensive effects for sci-fi to be convincing  :-\), I thought it worked really well, and found it very atmospheric and absorbing.

Here's a review that doesn't give much away - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/machine-film-review-686196

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Avoid 'I give it a year'. Terrible on every level.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Evil - that sounds alright!

nik at work

• forum hero
Oldboy - interesting starting premise which could be developed into a decent film, instead part way through it turns into a complete turd of a film. I'd suggest you watch the first half hour or so them make up your own ending. Shit squared.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I take it you mean the remake rather than the totally brilliant original?

Just googled it as didn't realise they'd done a Hollywood version and I couldn't believe you'd be talking about the film I'd seen....

nik at work

• forum hero
Is the original good?
I'm talking about the 2013 effort which is dross.

rossydoodle61

• player
The original is indeed brilliant and original. I've never heard anyone say a bad word against it.

I've never seen the Hollywood remake as it could never live up to the source.

Watch it, but hopefully seeing the remake won't have tainted it for you, as I expect the storyline is roughly the same.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
What he said. Hopefully it's not been spoiled for you!

Evil

• addict
Evil - that sounds alright!

Yeah, it was much better than the Oldboy remake I also watched recently. Urgh.  :sick: The original trilogy of Korean movies including Oldboy are all excellent, but I did think Oldboy was the best of the three.

Started on Blood Ties last night, which seems well written and acted, quite slow moving, but not suffering for that. Has a French writer/director (although it's an American film) which maybe helps with the tone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal