UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120563 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Can't find the old thread, so time to resurrect this? The film I saw on the way back from NZ last september and recommended on the old ..films.. thread is now on general release here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382806/

Although not the type of film I would usually go for, I thought it was excellent.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I picked up this randomly a few weeks back and thought it was pretty good....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390221/

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
whoa!!

is that divine ecstacy the Lord is handing her..?

..sorted..

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
Nice one Chris, I was just thinking that this thread needed resurrecting.

I saw Ong-Bak a few days ago and it was fairly amazing. When I saw that Tony Jaa had been described by Total Film as “Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li all rolled into one” I thought “yeah bollocks” but it is actually pretty spot on. There are some amazing stunts and fight scenes with no annoying wire work, stunt doubles or C.G.I and his Thai Boxing style looks really good on screen instead of the normal king-fu stuff. Highly recommended to any fans of martial arts or action films.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/

Think Tony Jaa may have a film out at the moment called Warrior King and is also working on Ong-Bak 2 which should both be worth checking out as well.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I picked up this randomly a few weeks back and thought it was pretty good....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390221/

That's one of the hardest, toughest films I've seen in ages.  Quite slowly paced to ensure the full hideousness of the situation sinks in. 

Isn't it a shame that so many ignore films with subtitles just because they require a sniff of multi-tasking when viewing?  Dubbing is the filth.  Except in Monkey: that's the only exception.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
i must watch more fillum; depressingly the last flick i saw was zatoichi, some 4 or 5 months ago

before that i had a mini-ki-duk-kim spell of fillum watching , with bad guy, spring, summer, autumn, winter..and spring and 3 iron being on the dvd-ola

*feels hungry for ribs and kimchi

Tubbs 15

• regular
Great film i saw recently was 'DOGMA' and its a very good film. Also saw 'space odyssey 2001' and 'space odyssey 2010' both absolutely amazing films. A film i want to see is 'a scanner darkly' with keanu reeves because i love films that a different and not mainstream and that take a brain to enjoy.

Tubbs  ;D

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Anyone seen The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon in the kiddie-fiddling lead?  Great film handling one helluva weird emotive subject.  Unsettling but compulsive.

Paul B

• forum hero
Not one generally for thirllers but i rented the skeleton key the other day and thorougly enjoyed it. Apart from that... happy gilmore..just cant get enough of that film.

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
Nice one Paul, I had totally forgot about Happy Gilmore! Going to whip it out tonight if I can find it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I watched Nick Love's homage to East End wideboys living it up in 80's Spain 'The Business' on Saturday - don't bother it's shit.

However, the Minutemen documentary DVD 'We Jam Econo' is fucking brilliant...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.

I know so very little about the Minutemen. I have heard of that docu a lot and will have to see it sometime soon. I'm getting the vibe from past recommendations that we like similar stuff Falling Down. Anything in a similar vein to that recommendation would be welcomed.

[/quote]
...and the film?
[/quote]

Ahh poor Pemb. He had just got back from a heavy cardio sesh at the gym though to his credit!

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
Haha, should have seen that one coming!

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

That sounds awesome.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Anyone seen primer? I thought very good. Right up Cowboyhats street I think
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I know so very little about the Minutemen.

Haven't seen the Flick of them, but I can tell you Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat LP (on SST) is blindingly good.  And you should have this before the film.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
I know so very little about the Minutemen.

Haven't seen the Flick of them, but I can tell you Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat LP (on SST) is blindingly good. 

Almost everything they did is phenomenally good, bar some of the noodly crap on Double Nickels..

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
On the subject of band documentaries, has anyone got any feedback on the Flaming Lips one? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441758/

Ta.

a dense loner

• forum hero
watched "the cock and bull story" t'other night. very funny for the most part, quite quirky

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Quote Tubbs 15:
... A Scanner Darkly...

Heard mixed things about this film. Like Phillip K Dick as an author, but not sure how well his writing and narrative translates to the screen. His other works have been 'hollywoodised' as films whereas ASD is supposed to stay true to the book, which is commendable, but quite often falls foul of 'the books better' accusation.  A friend's seen it and said it's ok and the rotoscoping (special effect thing) is sposed to be good and trippy though, so may wait for the dvd. If it bombs in the cinema then it should be out in time for the mushroom season!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
A Scanner Darkly

...Worth a watch. Has it's faults, and it also has Keanu Reeves, but there are some good moments. Robert Downey Junior is entertaining as Barris, the paranoid druggie.

Barris: There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!

Dr T

• forum hero
some casting directors seem to have used Keanu Reeves' inability to act half the time (and possibly over act the other haf to their advantage.. Constantine was reasonable value though the source material is better.... and so is night watch which is along similar lines)

back to the point.. which was... yep.. Johnny Pnemonic (however it's spelt) a bit dated but vastly underrated when it first came out..

sits back waits for abuse :whistle:

back on topic watched Lord of war last night... cruely funny in places - good use of humour to portray a massive problem......

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Check out old boy its a well put together film that some people will probably find very disturbing.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Just had our heads twisted by Polanskis' Death and the Maiden with Sigorney Weaver & Ben "I do a great nutter" Kingsley.  1st class.

Paul B

• forum hero
watched battle royale last night after hearing some hype about it, wasnt very impressed.

For any of you who are unfamiliar with it the story is as follows:
Teenagers become disprespectful to adults -> adults stick entire class of teenagers on an island for a battle to the death, they must kill each other within 3 days or they all get the chop.

However watched unbreakable during the week, thought this was pretty good (its on itv2 every night it seems) but I always have liked films from M. Night Shymalan....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal