UKBouldering.com

Urban Art. (Read 107453 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 12:28:16 pm
A thread in honour of tc's commitment to the Urban Art of Merseyside.

Not being in Merseyside I thought I would investigate what is on public display in my neck of the woods, an area tc knows well, Hamburgshire.

(I'm having a whale of a time with both Imageshack & Photobucket, please bear with me.  More will be added as and when they cooperate.)

A cut-out effort found above a pool of tramp piss on a side street off the Reeperbahn.  Forlorn & curious.  What could he be thinking?

Not graffiti.  But I imagine there could be some interesting stuff on the other side of this barrier to Herbert Straße (Hamburgs' girl in window street).  Cameras are as you would imagine forbidden here, and I thought better of trying (this time) as I didn't fancy fighting a barrel of pimps.

This is one ass and pair of dead eyes I find hard to ignore.  Ghoulish.  Some prude painted over her mu-mu a while back.  Good to see her lips have been restored to their former glory.  Reeperbahn, naturally.

A cute stencil affair.  Sumo!

What appears to be an alien.  Painted on a hippy-house near Hamburgs' infamous Hafentreppe (a place to source things).

Local Bahrenfeld spraying, not far from my flat.  Monsters of Rock Rave Shit, I ask ye!  The Hafenklang is a run-down but excellent club on Hamburgs' Fischmarkt.  An institution, and my god, LOUD!

Perhaps the least interesting for you, but certainly interesting for Hamburg.  OZ is a tagger par excellence.  He claims that his tag OZ is a corruption of KZ (loose acronym for Concentration Camp).  OZ has tagged Hamburg over 100 000 times, and not satisfied with this, moved onto another city, Bremen I believe, for more of the same.  He was caught shoplifting spray paint and subsequently jailed.  He served his time and was released only to re-offend and was caught stealing paint a second time.  Back to jail for OZ.  I believe he is still inside.  It is incredibly hard to find any area untouched by OZ.  Some of his work is exceptionally large and grandiose, often coloured psychedelically.  His larger works are often rather beautiful and rarely detract from the place, unlike his tag-pissings which are ubiquitous and mindless. 

A recently rebuilt rail brigde.  It was graffiti-free for sometime before it was sprayed in whatnot and cleaned with acid.  Recently this has appeared.  A poor contribution, as you can see.

Another stencil affair.  Germans are hyper-political, take little shit, and often demonstrate violently.  Two years ago on Labour Day there was a full-on riot outside my old flat.  It was hugely exciting to watch, and a few pigs took a total swedging from the Bambule (Germanys' Crusties).  Soon after, this appeared close by.  My loose translation is, When the shit hits the fan, it's best not to be there.  Quite.

One Man Army:  He who sparayed MSR on my manor.  I look forward to crushing the fine bones of his hands with my  burnished British Hi-legs should the opportunity arise.

I've a vast collection taken over a period of 6 years.  Alas my scanner is kaputt and they are mostly real photos.  Personally I have no time for tagging or general spraying, it adds little if nothing to the look and feel of the metropolis.  Here, many gable-ends have full size murals.  Often these are quite fantastically executed.  Some of the hip-hop-esque work is mindblowing.  I'll do my best to show a few later.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 12:35:51 pm

Good stuff - I love street art.

I agree that tagging sucks. Keen to do some stencils myself, but will probably start with t-shirts.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 01:02:19 pm
Have posted this link before somewhere, but it's a great site for street art fans:

http://www.woostercollective.com/

Also, Stencil Revolution has some great stuff in the galleries. Check out some of the clothes.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 01:16:52 pm
I know you well informed punks will be, but others looking on may not - have a look at Banksy's work. Well known for stenciling some pretty cool stuff mainly in the capital, but I think he is actually from Bristol.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 01:20:42 pm
Banksy is stencil-god. Check this new one in Brooklyn:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 01:23:13 pm
Banksy does fine work.

Those children are beautiful, otherwordly, a snapshot from another monochrome age.

I'm in Berlin next weekend.  I'll try to find more.

"I heart all the ghosts".

The most damning piece of graffiti I ever saw was on a wall just out of town (in Fuckenham, Norfolk:  One time voted the most boring town in the UK) and, in large letters along a 10 meter section were the words:  This town is FUCKED!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 01:32:26 pm by Houdini »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 02:37:55 pm
Here is a full monty mural for your delectation.  Excuse the poor piccie:  it was raining at the time & I only took one shot as I had to break into a building site to take it.  If I can't get in position I can't take the shot!

Note the Free OZ top left.  The photo does it no favours; in the flesh it is stunning.

Give a man a blank canvas, a ladder, and what do you get?  Half a Yoda.  Tres poor!

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#7 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 04:12:17 pm
i salute you, sir!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 04:15:48 pm

Stubbs

#9 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 04:22:10 pm
Banksy's stuff on the West Bank was pretty awesome

hadn't seen this one before either

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 09:19:43 pm
Wonder who was there first?

There is a hard to make out credit to the original artist bottom right.

That is fuckin' rad.  If you've more similar post them.

Doomsomely dark that Brit Shorts pic innit da troof yoof!

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
#11 Re: Urban Art.
August 21, 2006, 11:05:58 pm
Haven't seen that one with the Brit Shorts before, it's well cool!

If you want to see more Banksy then check out http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/Banksy/banksy.htm. It's the best Banksy collection I've seen on the Internet. There's also some on his own site http://www.banksy.co.uk/ and his book Wall and Piece is good as well.

If you're feeling flush then http://www.picturesonwalls.com/ sell some nice limited edition prints from Banksy and some other good artists. Don't bother looking at Shrigley's stuff though coz it's total shit.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 01:01:43 am
Re: Banksy.

:agree: Legend... Great stencils popping up round East London... Often involving rats and businessmen in bowler hats.

Two grafitti quotes to mull over. One writ HUGE on a fence visible from the (traffic jams) on the M40 (or is it the M4?) as it inevitably snarls up coming into London -

"WHY DO I DO THIS EVERY DAY?"

Another scrawled on a skip in those mental days and months after Princess Di was killed and the nation mourned/went hysterical (depending on your opinion of her and the rest of the monarchy etc etc) for what seemed like a very long time...

"Fuck Diana"

Yes... Quite... Well there you are you see...

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#13 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 08:56:39 am
sawwy, none similar, but here's a pic anyway:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#14 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 09:49:45 am
Wonder who was there first?

There is a hard to make out credit to the original artist bottom right.

That is fuckin' rad.  If you've more similar post them.

Doomsomely dark that Brit Shorts pic innit da troof yoof!

think the artist in question here may have been another fan the "flowers in the attic" t shirt from threadless.com:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 10:55:38 am
I noticed that too. Could be chicken and egg though, as all threadless T shirts are produced from designs submitted by Joe Public. Just noticed someone has done a great stencil on the back of the hotel signboard I walk past on the way to work. Will get a photo.

SamT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 12:43:01 pm
I love the quote on the back of Banksys Wall and Piece book (may not be exact)

"There is no way you are getting a quote from us for your book"
                                                          The metropolitan police department
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:51:48 pm by SamT »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 01:08:52 pm
Three from N.I.

Slide

• addict
#18 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 01:35:58 pm
That charming looking fella in the middle hijacked my dad!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#19 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 02:23:34 pm
Care to elaborate? 

I went to school with a lad whos' father was an army sniper who back in the day twice had Martin McGuinness in his sights:  awaiting the signal to 'take him out'.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 03:46:13 pm
What. Dinner and dancing? (to missappropriate Pulp Fiction...)

If you're into all things telescopic and high calibre, can thoroughly recommend Sniper Elite on PS2. Set in Berlin end of WW2/beginning of cold war. Very tactical, have to calculate for breathing, gravity and windspeed for that perfect headshot. Very satisfying and you get a matrixstyle replay of your weapon skills when you get it right. Remember - squeeze the trigger...

james

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Urban Art.
August 22, 2006, 05:39:55 pm
Not on a wall, but therse things never fail to impress. 

see http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm  for more

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#22 Re: Urban Art.
August 23, 2006, 09:18:17 am
that bottom on is mind blowing  :jaw:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#23 Re: Urban Art.
August 23, 2006, 11:07:24 am
I didn't think those things were real  :-\