UKBouldering.com

Banned from Cocktalk (Read 77615 times)

Mick Ryan

• addict
#75 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 10:59:33 am
For what it's worth, I think Mick and Bubba are both totally sound guys, having met both a couple of times. However Mick, you do have a habit of stirring on forums, and I don't seem to remember you ever making a useful contribution to any thread on UKB.

See my kind offer above....when Bubba was looking for ways to fund this site. In addition I'd quite willingly supply this site with many bouldering images, topos and maps......but at the moment UKB is just a forum. It needs to get its shit together.

Of course I have a habit of stimulating debate....often in response to the utter tripe that is sprayed by some characters (on occaision myself). Problem is many fold....there's a lot of thin skinned posters who at the first criticism to a personal afront and second the confusion in the minds of some between a perceived online persona and the real life one

M

Stubbs

#76 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:14:43 am

In addition I'd quite willingly supply this site with many bouldering images, topos and maps......but at the moment UKB is just a forum. It needs to get its shit together.

Would you like to provide me with a copy of the script for the new RF Bishop guide beofre I go away?  ;D

Alan James, Rockfax

• player
    • www.ukclimbing.com
#77 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:15:52 am
No, it was more a reference to when somebody who either doesn't use a "real" name or is not a registered user posts something that the rest of the forum is uncomfortable with, there follows a whole slew of "why don't you post using your real name, coward" or "why no profile", etc. This may have changed of course, I've not read your forums regularly for a while now.

I reckon that over 70% of the UKC users don't use their real names. They may treat each other like shit sometimes, but they are open when it comes to unregistered newcomers. The example you quote is almost certainly a case of someone being deliberately anonymous to stir rather than a guest posting first time.

You're perfectly welcome here Alan, I was just giving my perception of why that particular question didn't get answered. I may not be correct in that view, but it was the impression I got.

Well I suppose this ties in with your first point about guests on UKC. 'Welcome' or 'unwelcome' is not just an impression created by the moderator, it is the whole forum that contributes. You may say I am welcome, but the replies to my questions don't make me feel very welcome. I am not really that bothered since I should spend as little time on bleedin' forums as I can if I am sensible, but I may not be the only person who has ventured into UKB and felt that way.

Alan

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#78 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:25:14 am
See my kind offer above....when Bubba was looking for ways to fund this site. In addition I'd quite willingly supply this site with many bouldering images, topos and maps......but at the moment UKB is just a forum. It needs to get its shit together.

I said a useful contribution to any THREAD. I think your offer of the videos was generous, but as UKB is essentially , as you say, just a forum, anything else is of little use.

And you still haven't said when you are going to come up here and sample Aberdeenshire's finest bouldering and surfing.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#79 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:27:32 am
Mick UKB doesn't 'need' to do anything, it has no commercial imperative at all. It just is what it is (if you like it, stick around, if you don't, then leave it alone), and it certainly isn't making dodgy claims to be representative of anybody. If Bubba develops the site in a certain way, fine, if he doesn't that is also fine. He's got a job to hold down, and I'm just grateful that he bothers with this site at all.

And anyway, surely diversity is a good thing. If UKB and UKC weren't so different, there wouldn't be any point in having 2 separate sites.

Bubba, thanks for posting that url - I wondered what that was all about. Very amusing.

Greg C

• forum hero
#80 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:30:28 am
Woodwell were great tonight. I was out with the big mister of Lakeland bouldering....I now have several more Font 7a projects to get my 44 year old bones up and I'm looking forward to every minute of this fine climbing experience.

It's going to take more than spouting about a session down Woodwell on UKB to reinvent your self induced persona of forum obsessed shit stirring moron.

Mick I know your take on forums is - “Well it's not real life and people will take me on face value when they meet me” (and possibly realize your not quite as much of a dick in real life). But the fact is if you piss people off enough their never going to give you the chance of getting within 100 miles of them and thus not give you the chance to win them over with your charms.

You are an interesting bloke but I rarely read anything you write on the internet.

Greg C

• forum hero
#81 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:32:45 am
I'm just grateful that he bothers with this site at all.

Seconded.

Mick Ryan

• addict
#82 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:37:22 am
Mick I know your take on forums is -

Burn

Mick Ryan

• addict
#83 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:44:33 am

I said a useful contribution to any THREAD.

Subjective....but this is certainly a popular thread. Look at all the bouldering lumineries popping their heads above the parapet and waiving their little bouldering brushes (Lapis and M-16).

Mick Ryan

• addict
#84 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:48:10 am
Mick UKB doesn't 'need' to do anything

Well aware of that Simon.

But don't you just love all this willy waiving and scoring of points that virtually everyone on this thread is engaged in.

It's a male ego thing.

Mick

Dolly

• forum hero
#85 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:50:37 am
I'm just grateful that he bothers with this site at all.

Seconded.

Thirded

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#86 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 11:52:07 am

Subjective....but this is certainly a popular thread. Look at all the bouldering lumineries popping their heads above the parapet and waiving their little bouldering brushes (Lapis and M-16).

Whatever Mick. I think I prefer communicating with you in person and on emails, so will leave this thread alone now. If you can get up this way, or to Northumberland, it would be great to see you. Drop me a line.

Mick Ryan

• addict
#87 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 12:10:54 pm
Will do Chris.

Mick

RASTATA

• addict
#88 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 12:14:34 pm
Hello everybody!
I don't post much usually on this forum, mainly cos I'm not a native English speaker. But I really like to read it cos its one of the best climbing forums that I know. Most of contributors on this board are very very friendly and they know what they are talking about in comparison with other ˝similar˝ boards like bouldering.com and ukc. All best Bubba with that forum and I wish that stays like it was. Good source of information and knowledge!!!

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#89 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 12:43:51 pm
this thread is going around in circles. :wall:
why don't you bin it bubba???

Craig M

#90 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 01:30:00 pm

And anyway, surely diversity is a good thing. If UKB and UKC weren't so different, there wouldn't be any point in having 2 separate sites.

:agree:

Exactly. They both have their merits, as well as what could be percieved to be faults. I doubt there is any such thing as a perfect forum, not least because what constitutes perfect will be different for pretty much every individual user.

mowern

• regular
#91 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 01:49:13 pm

:agree:

Exactly. They both have their merits, as well as what could be percieved to be faults. I doubt there is any such thing as a perfect forum, not least because what constitutes perfect will be different for pretty much every individual user.
At least this one works........ at the moment.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#92 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 02:02:10 pm
I think this forum is even better than most people realise.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#93 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 03:22:13 pm
See my kind offer above....when Bubba was looking for ways to fund this site.
Will you please stop banging on about "your kind offer". What you did was offer to allow me to sell some extremely out of date videos that nobody would buy any more. It would have been a lot of hassle for me for no reason whatsoever. Also, since you yourself are in WCG, I can only assume that there was some sort of hidden agenda anyway. Even if that isn't the case I would never accept any "help" from a wanker like you - see below.

...but at the moment UKB is just a forum. It needs to get its shit together.
It doesn't need to get it's shit together at all - why does it "need" anything. Yes there are plans to expand the site but the reality is I have a full time job to do, and with other interests have only a small amount of time to dedicate to the development. If it expands that's all good - if it just stays a forum then that's all good too. It's not a business, so no, it doesn't need to expand at all.

In addition I'd quite willingly supply this site with many bouldering images, topos and maps
Ok, let's just put this straight for the record once and for all. I don't need or want anything you "supply" Mick. I would never accept *anything* from you because you are are somebody who always has a hidden agenda; who would just attempt to use it to portray yourself as some kind, giving guy further down the line - a bit like the offer for old videos. I don't want or need anything of yours on this site. I hope that's got it straight in your mind.

Of course I have a habit of stimulating debate
Nah, you're just a sad troll. You only stimulate debate because you wind people up.

Mick Ryan

• addict
#94 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 04:23:08 pm
this thread is going around in circles.

Mick

Bromonge

#95 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 04:27:37 pm
god, you can tell UKC is down, everyones fighting here now...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#96 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 04:33:42 pm
UKB is the dogs bollocks. it really is that simple

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#97 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 04:36:00 pm
this thread is going around in circles.

Mick
And then listen to you gloat about how UKB is as/more censorious than UKC?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#98 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 06:36:33 pm

Mick Ryan

• addict
#99 Re: Banned from Cocktalk
August 23, 2006, 06:37:38 pm
Cheers Houdini. Saved.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal