UKBouldering.com

Malham Conditions.... (Read 309007 times)

griffer

• regular
#925 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 16, 2012, 05:14:18 pm
worst day in 7 years for me at malham today, rain blowing into the crag, cold and wet, seepage was worse then yeasterday, currently torrential rain.........................................................

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#926 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 16, 2012, 08:06:02 pm
So, you don't think The Groove's likely to be dry by Tuesday then?

Doylo

• forum hero
#927 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 16, 2012, 09:16:54 pm
Been a good year for Malham hasn't it!  :badidea:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#928 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 16, 2012, 09:48:05 pm
It's been far worse than today. Something Stupid and Bongo Fury were dry. Tremelo was workable and if the sun had come out, it would likely have become RPable (as it was, drying my hands took it's toll on my staimina). Some recent weekends not even Consenting has been dry. That, said it was really lashing it down when I left and the seepage was getting visibly worse - whereas on Saturday much of it had dried back during the day (only to emerge overnight).

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#929 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 16, 2012, 11:18:24 pm
So, you don't think The Groove's likely to be dry by Tuesday then?

A Tuesday sometime in 2013, maybe?

griffer

• regular
#930 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 17, 2012, 08:07:12 pm
I agree with Toby, tuesdsay 2013, free lift to the crag from my house and cheese and wine afterwards, unless your on a diet and then just wine.

TobyD

• forum hero
#931 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 17, 2012, 10:11:00 pm
I agree with Toby, tuesdsay 2013, free lift to the crag from my house and cheese and wine afterwards, unless your on a diet and then just wine.

I vote this happens anyway, dry crag or not  ;)  If you get sick of it up there i live pretty close to the Tor (which may be seen as a good or bad thing....)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#932 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 17, 2012, 10:47:40 pm

That'd be awesome - cut down on the driving and save a fortune in fuel.

JayJ

• regular
#933 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 18, 2012, 09:13:29 pm
Was brave stupid enough to go today.
Pretty much everything left of raindogs and everything right of free and even easier was wet.
Most of the routes in the middle werent too nice either.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#934 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 23, 2012, 08:06:25 pm
Pretty shit today on the catwalk although someone managed a send of (a wet in parts) Predator. Upper tier was apparently ok (but big pocket on New Age started seeping during the day), Consenting had new wet bits on it I've never seen before! Unless things improve dramatically I prob won't go back this year

TobyD

• forum hero
#935 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 25, 2012, 10:05:35 am
RE COVE CENTRE CAR PARK
Replicated from other thread so no-one has any excuses for 'not knowing':

Quote from: chriszxr on Today at 08:28:40

"two climbers who had parked there all day on Friday went two the pub came back after dark and had a piss there. My friend thought that he was going to headbutt him at one point."

Whoever this was wants their fingers chopping off. I don't blame the poor bloke, I'd be livid if there were twats like that in what is essentially my back yard. I posted a month or so ago saying we should all voluntarily give parking there a rest for a bit and have since just been parking in the village when ever i can. This shit could jeopardise access to the crag if people mess about with it, so it's got to be a good idea, please lets not park in the cove centre for a few months??

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#936 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 25, 2012, 04:44:51 pm
Hello...

So sorry, that was us - but bit of a misunderstanding - we weren't intending on staying in the car park! We'd just got back from the pub when he came and spoke to us, and were leaving anyway...

Thought we were polite, tried to make it clear we didn't intend to stay - didn't mean to piss anyone off.

Cheers

RE COVE CENTRE CAR PARK
Replicated from other thread so no-one has any excuses for 'not knowing':

Quote from: chriszxr on Today at 08:28:40

Whoever this was wants their fingers chopping off. I don't blame the poor bloke, I'd be livid if there were twats like that in what is essentially my back yard. I posted a month or so ago saying we should all voluntarily give parking there a rest for a bit and have since just been parking in the village when ever i can. This shit could jeopardise access to the crag if people mess about with it, so it's got to be a good idea, please lets not park in the cove centre for a few months??

Given the experience of elliepygall above I wouldn't be so quick with the accusations and finger chopping.

It would be prudent and good manners though, not to park there after hours, if going to the pub afterwards for example .

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#937 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 25, 2012, 05:44:46 pm
I had a chat with the householder last weekend.  He was exasperated but quite reasonable - he has no problem with day parking, he just wants people not to park after dark and not to "take the piss" - no camping / toilet activities etc. 

I offered to not park there again and to put word out that others doing likewise would be appreciated and he said no.  As he saw it, the cove car-park is not his property and he doesn't have the right to stop people using it.  However, he is the keyholder for the access gate and has a responsibility to keep it locked overnight.  As such, he wants to be able to lock the gate in the evening and not be disturbed at night by campers trying to get out and / or "playing music and taking drugs" near his house.

TobyD

• forum hero
#938 Re: Malham Conditions....
September 26, 2012, 09:47:13 am
Given the experience of elliepygall above I wouldn't be so quick with the accusations and finger chopping.
It would be prudent and good manners though, not to park there after hours, if going to the pub afterwards for example .

fair enough Simon, i think you are right, perhaps I was a bit sharp; however, there is a difference between parking there and having a piss outside the chaps house, is there not?

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#939 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 04, 2012, 12:52:33 pm
Pretty grim today, wet misty no wind!!!!

Steve Crowe

• menacing presence
  • Using knees since 1974
    • www.climbonline.co.uk
#940 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 08, 2012, 08:45:52 am
It was amazing how quickly The Cove dried back on Sunday...
and only four parties there climbing!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#941 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 12, 2012, 02:52:54 pm
Anyone like to guess tomorrow's likely nick after the 20+ mm of rain yesterday and forecast 100% humidity tomorrow morning?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#942 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 12, 2012, 03:42:20 pm
It's a bit showery but sunny and pretty windy up here in the Skipton / Ilkley area - drying weather overall. 

My long suffering guess would be that, on Saturday, the left-hand side will start seepy but will largely dry back through the day, especially if there's some sun.  But crux holds will likely retain enough damp to bugger-up RP attempts (I have around a dozen RP failures at the Tremelo crux to attest to this trend). 

Raindogs will be wet to the first bolt but dry above that - so good enough to work but not to actually RP without some shenanigans involving towels and/or a plastic-bag.  Routes around Consenting and F&EE will be dry, Bongo and Something Stupid will likely start wet but might be okay in the afternoon.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#943 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 12, 2012, 04:21:14 pm
Ok, you still up for having a look?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#944 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 12, 2012, 04:44:58 pm
God yeah! I don't work all week just to hang around the Depot! 

Basically, belayers willing,  my plan is to get a rope on Tremelo early doors in the hope that it dries back enough for a RP (the seepage is a bit unpredictable - holds that have been wet for the last few weekends were dry, but an entirely new seepage streak had appeared on the crux hold!).

If Tremelo's beyond hope I might amuse myself on Raindogs.  I had a go last week and found it utterly desperate... but oddly compelling.  I could realistically fill any number of sessions honing my sequence between the middle three bolts.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#945 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 12, 2012, 04:48:53 pm
Cool, think my thoughts of Raindogs may have been a bit optimistic having been schooled as to the severity of 8a today at the Tor today, but still have lots to go at there.

See you there as planned

IS2

• addict
#946 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 14, 2012, 09:01:06 pm
Far too hot at the cove today.... Mostly dry on the upper tier and seemed to be lots to do in the shade below.... Mid October?

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#947 Re: Malham Conditions....
October 26, 2012, 05:37:50 pm
Crag surprisingly good nick.. v cold tho.
Sun forecast tomorrow which will help matters.

ShortRound

• addict
#948 Re: Malham Conditions....
November 30, 2012, 10:30:33 am
Don't suppose anyone's had a look recently?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal