UKBouldering.com

Porth Ysgo camping (Read 8942 times)

Miniowls

Porth Ysgo camping
March 13, 2006, 03:15:58 pm
Anybody got any recomendations on where to camp for quick access to the bouldering and not to far from a pub?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Porth Ysgo camping
March 13, 2006, 03:42:07 pm
You wanna watch out here!

I've heard tales of car windscreens being put through (by the farmer?) when campers have stayed at Ysgo, and parked in the usual spot.

I don't think it's encouraged.  If you were to camp I'd park somewhere else.  Or talk to the farmer (in welsh), bearing whiskey.

dave

#2 Porth Ysgo camping
March 13, 2006, 05:06:02 pm
i think he was asking for a campsite in the general area, not actually at the crag.

I believe there is a good place somewhere on the llyn - scouse may know.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#3 Porth Ysgo camping
March 13, 2006, 10:20:46 pm
I stayed at Deucoch Campsite, not far from Abersoch, and its about 20mins drive from Ysgo so not that close (I'm sure theres one closer).  Obi-wan stayed at one just over the hill that was just next to a pub that did reasonable food etc.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Porth Ysgo camping
March 13, 2006, 10:44:20 pm
A quick google produced this....
http://www.rhiw.com/y_pentra/holiday_cottages/tir_glyn/tir_glyn.htm

Am going soon so will update when I get back.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 09:47:17 am
Loads of good campsites round here.  Don't know any near Ysgo specifically but there will be a few. Obi and Clm usually go to the one in Llanengan between the Sun pub and Porth Neigwl, there are other good ones on cilan. Nice spot to camp above the crag by the old winding shed - some of the beris crew have camped here without problems.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#6 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 10:14:58 am
I wouldn't recommend camping at the winding shed at all. I know people have done so in the past, but more recently there has been problems (as the poster above suggested).

Stick to the proper campsites and don't wind the landowners up.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 10:50:53 am
Quote from: "bigphil"
Obi-wan stayed at one just over the hill that was just next to a pub that did reasonable food etc.
Theres no point playing it down, it's already well busy, lets not muck around, the Sun is the best pub on the Llyn. Highly decent pub grub, massive portions, good pints, the campsite is a 4 min stumble to the Sun in one direction, and a 5 min walk to Hells Mouth in the other. There are posher campsites around but it depends where your priorities lie. For us it's a no brainer. Oh yeah, and about a 20min drive from Ysgo.

Thankfully it's only a month before we are back there again for Easter...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 01:16:26 pm
Quote from: "Pantontino"
I wouldn't recommend camping at the winding shed at all. I know people have done so in the past, but more recently there has been problems

What's the beef? I'm assuming its the farmer not the National Trust?

Miniowls

#9 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 01:51:55 pm
Sold on th eSun pub and the 20 minute drive  :D

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Porth Ysgo camping
March 14, 2006, 04:10:36 pm
A few years back, before the guide was published (and presumably when the crag was quieter) some mates of mine camped at the winding house. The farmer came down to see them and they discussed the issue of camping with him. He was not keen on the idea, but allowed them to stay.

I haven't spoke to the farmer since (or before) the smashed window incident, and in no way am I suggesting that he is responsible for this. However it does seem that somebody took exception to the car being parked overnight, possibly because they assumed the owners of the car were camping without permission.

Or maybe it was just a random act of vandalism?

The National Trust don't own all the land around Porth Ysgo - they certainly don't own the area around the winding house.

If somebody feels strongly enough about camping down here, then I suggest they go and talk to the farmer first. He may well have very legitimate reasons for not wanting people to camp there. Maybe somebody camped there once and left a load of crap behind? Maybe one of his relatives runs a campsite as a business? Who knows?

As far as access goes there are no real issues - there are public rights of way leading down to within striking distance of the boulders.

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 24, 2017, 04:08:48 pm
Any updates on this? Thinking of a quick hit this weekend.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#12 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 25, 2017, 10:32:18 am
We always stay at Tanrallt Bunkhouse which has camping on site. It's about a 10 minute drive from the crag parking, has good facilities and is about a 20 minute walk from Abersoch. Should you prefer to stay away from Abersoch (and why wouldn't you!), there is a great pub, The Sun Inn 20 minutes in the other direction...

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 25, 2017, 11:02:49 am
Cheers 'neck. Do places need to be booked or could we just rock up? (Probably three tents and a van...)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 25, 2017, 11:46:39 am
We stay at Bryns place, the one a short stumble from The Sun and only a 10min walk (2min drive) from the beach. Probably 20min from Ysgo.

Don't usually book but also don't normally go at peak times and you may need to with a van. Dead basic but brilliant.

https://goo.gl/maps/91ZVYqZ2krH2

Theres a bigger place that's further from the pub

https://goo.gl/maps/zsVJj1iu27m

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 25, 2017, 11:48:56 am
Ace, cheers. Looks like there's plenty of options anyway so even if it's full of escaped scousers we should get a place.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Porth Ysgo camping
May 25, 2017, 12:11:17 pm
What Obi said, very handy for Hell's mouth and the Sun. But for Ysgo you might be better going to one of the ones between Ysgo and Aberdaron, or up on Mynydd Mawr beyond (I think Panton has a favourite). Or there's a good bunkhouse in Anelog.

It might be heaving what with ban holiday and half term etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal