UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1139765 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 11:43:31 am
You have 3 guesses as to what this thread is about....and the first two guesses don't count...

Okay dokay here's some I've got tucked away, sorry no download links yet but I will try to find them or try googling or searching your favourite climbing video clip site:

All of beardown's gritstone stuff: Piece of Mind, Gaia, New Statesman, Life Assurance, Crack and Slab, Jasmine, Equilibrium, Gritstone Year (most of these involve that bloke Jordan so Andi_e I'd get the cold shower ready now  :? ).

zebree - french canadian (I think?) dude working an utterly hideous overhanging crack. One of the best - and most brutal - clips around.

under.mpg - Czech dude Thomas someone-or-other climbs an 8c across a huge horizontal roof, very impressive and nice music.

baston8c - Dave Graham, dunno whether this was a flash or something but it's pretty cool sport climbing.

ElderStatesman - small, skinny and very strong bloke does small skinny and very hard arete with multiple ropes and big cams. Cameo appearance from me sulking beneath Finger Distance after another failed attempt to do it without mats.

niallPocketsExcellence_bg - Niall McClar (SP?) onsight soloing an E5 6a. Proper climbing.

millauF - Petzel thing - lots of ultra tanned, ultra honed, Euros gather around to compare pecs and attempt the odd F9b.

roctrip_millauF - Petzel again - exactly the same except less F9bs and more impressive falls.

gunks2f - another Petzel - mostly bouldering except there's a little bit of nice route stuff including a phat trad roof climb at the end.

PaisClipWm - spanish climbing trailer video that rman posted, only a trailer but enough impressive route stuff to sell the film.

Realisation clip - one of the best sport climbing clips around but to be honest we should all have Dosage anyway...

JR

• forum abuser
#1 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 11:55:42 am
got most of them i think,  of course some are better than others! ;-)

not so sure about elder crack arete, a bit wack but nevertheless an incredibly difficult way of doing a bizzare line and quite good to have on film.

that snippet of potter soloing the nose is pretty inspiring (on masters V i think)....

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#2 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 12:16:12 pm
You missed a couple.

- - Blimey.

- - you know what I mean. awesome stuff.

- Iker Pou on Action Directe - Damn that looks hard. But he climbs it like it's a warm up...

- Klem on a 9a - and just for a bit of comparison, a 9a from Klem. Not such a great movie, but some great gurning.

- Yuji onsighting 8c - world's first 8c onsight. worth a watch. The mind boggles.

- Realisation - Sylvain Millet getting in the first repeat.

- The dry-tooling dvd that black diamond send out for free is quite entertaining, though perhaps I should mention it in the quality non-climbing thread...

- Macleod on Breathless - not that exciting, but hey, it's E10.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 12:17:16 pm
i think a grown man should be free to choose whether to throw chuffing vids on the fire or place them under the wheel of a large truck thats just starting its engine

r-man

• forum hero
#4 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 12:19:19 pm
You know, they probably won't burn that well. I'd suggest wood or maybe coal.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 02:43:58 pm
fiend, i've seen that video 14,765,374 times and can expressively say it rocks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 03:23:17 pm
Which one andi?

And Fiend, it's Niall McNair.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#7 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 05:04:28 pm
You missed a couple.

That'll have some correlation with me starting a topic on it, then  :wink:

Cheers for that list...

Action Direct - excellent, good quality and really shows the style of the climb GULP.

Klem toproping a 9a - not really cricket and too small.

Yuji 8c onsight - pretty cool, I like all the faffing at the top - THAT is what it's all about. Would have liked to have seen the whole thing untrimmed.

Realisation - Realplayer links didn't work for me.

Ste Breathless - good that this was filmed, pity the quality is low.

Will view Beth Rodden's crack hur hur soon, sounds good.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 05:34:45 pm
Will view Beth Rodden's crack hur hur soon, sounds good.

Well, yes, taken from Dosage III of course, but forgivable as I'm sure everyone is going to buy it. Excellent stuff, very inspiring.

r-man

• forum hero
#9 Quality chuffing videos...
November 10, 2005, 08:49:25 pm
Realisation - Yeah the real player file doesn't work for me either, but the flash version does.

Found the Dan Osman link. See above.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#10 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 09:04:01 am
> Yuji onsighting 8c

The best bit is the guy with the cowbells - I'm gonna get me a cowbell man to help with the psyche!

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 10:03:28 am
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Which one andi?

a gritstone year

r-man, why did you edit that post no less than 12 times?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#12 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 11:23:11 am
the action directe video is chuffin' brilliant - definitely one for the archives - the climbing itself is really well filmed and lit considering the dificulties presented by the location.  Also one of the few bits of footage I've got that absolutely amazes non-climbers - the workmates were agog "...but he's only got one finger in.. that's impossible..." (footage of slabs and slopeyness just never looks as hard as it is).

Incidently, is it possible to download and save the footage from the bigup website? I can play the videos but can't work out how to store copies for offline viewing.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#13 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 11:45:25 am
the workmates were agog "...but he's only got one finger in..

i've borrowed vids like that off jim

chris

• menacing presence
#14 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 07:21:00 pm
er dont know whats goin on here...ive clicked on the link and the page cannot be displayed? Im no computer whiz and would quite like to watch this vid, especially as rich has just climbed action. Any suggestions from the techies?

chris

• menacing presence
#15 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 07:21:55 pm
thats the action directe link..by the way :oops:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#16 Quality chuffing videos...
November 11, 2005, 07:42:55 pm
Try right-clicking and saving it onto yer pc.

tobym

• menacing presence
#17 Quality chuffing videos...
November 12, 2005, 09:23:26 am
Quote from: "r-man"

- The dry-tooling dvd that black diamond send out for free is quite entertaining, though perhaps I should mention it in the quality non-climbing thread...

That the one that cam with last year's BD catalogue, starring Ines Papert and Simon Anthamatten?

tobym

• menacing presence

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#19 Quality chuffing videos...
November 13, 2005, 03:52:34 pm
Yup that's nice, good film, great line and interesting climbing....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Quality chuffing videos...
November 25, 2005, 05:29:11 am

- - Blimey.

wowser - check out the self-rightous bullshit spouted here: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/46949

a dense loner

• forum hero
#21 Quality chuffing videos...
November 25, 2005, 10:03:22 am
they love it

r-man

• forum hero
#22 Quality chuffing videos...
November 25, 2005, 10:54:43 am
This is quite amsuing. How to survive a fall from an aeroplane.

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/carkeet.html

If your search discloses no trees or snow, the parachutist's "five-point landing" is useful to remember even in the absence of a parachute. Meet the ground with your feet together, and fall sideways in such a way that five parts of your body successively absorb the shock, equally and in this order: feet, calf, thigh, buttock, and shoulder. 120 divided by 5 = 24. Not bad! 24 mph is only a bit faster than the speed at which experienced parachutists land. There will be some bruising and breakage but no loss of consciousness to delay your press conference. Just be sure to apportion the 120-mph blow in equal fifths. Concentrate!  
Much will depend on your attitude. Don't let negative thinking ruin your descent. If you find yourself dwelling morbidly on your discouraging starting point of seven miles up, think of this: Thirty feet is the cutoff for fatality in a fall. That is, most who fall from thirty feet or higher die. Thirty feet! It's nothing! Pity the poor sod who falls from such a "height." What kind of planning time does he have?  
Think of the pluses in your situation. For example, although you fall faster and faster for the first fifteen seconds or so, you soon reach "terminal velocity"—the point at which atmospheric drag resists gravity's acceleration in a perfect standoff. Not only do you stop speeding up, but because the air is thickening as you fall, you actually begin to slow down. With every foot that you drop, you are going slower and slower.  
There's more. When parachutists focus on a landing zone, sometimes they become so fascinated with it that they forget to pull the ripcord. Since you probably have no ripcord, "target fixation" poses no danger. Count your blessings.  

and a database for fall survivors:
http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/ffresearch.html

r-man

• forum hero
#23 Quality chuffing videos...
December 04, 2005, 01:21:41 pm
And here's how easy climbing 9a can be...

ftp://153.19.47.73/patxi_usobiaga_psikoterapia_9a_(Escalada).wmv

There's an odd edit in the middle though, and he doesn't appear that excited when he reaches the top. Perhaps this is just footage of him practicing it? I wonder how many times he's done those moves, he's got them pretty wired...

Lots of movies here, though my computer won't let me watch them. La Rambla is in there as well...

http://www.artrosisclimbing.com/Inter/Videos/home.aspx

And this from Chockstone.org:

*  Gathering Highlights (5.5 Meg, 1 minute)
http://www.chockstone.org/DogRocks/Gathering2003.mpg

An amalgamation of several routes from the Chockstone Gathering day at Dog Rocks, Mt Alexander. Includes Neil on the full body workout splitter jam crack Bravetheart (18), Neil again stemming Jack Russel (22) the corner crack, Alistair making a near clean onsight of the test piece Scottish Resign (24), Neil once more, getting spat off Mo Money (25), and some bouldering action, including a glimpse of Julian on the FA of a new problem. Audio included! Video by Michael Boniwell.

Must have been off-putting climbing with all that cheesy music in the background.

Dude

• addict
#24 Quality chuffing videos...
December 12, 2005, 03:56:52 pm
This is quite amsuing. How to survive a fall from an aeroplane.

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/carkeet.html

If your search discloses no trees or snow, the parachutist's "five-point landing" is useful to remember even in the absence of a parachute. Meet the ground with your feet together, and fall sideways in such a way that five parts of your body successively absorb the shock, equally and in this order: feet, calf, thigh, buttock, and shoulder. 120 divided by 5 = 24. Not bad! 24 mph is only a bit faster than the speed at which experienced parachutists land. There will be some bruising and breakage but no loss of consciousness to delay your press conference. Just be sure to apportion the 120-mph blow in equal fifths. Concentrate!  
Much will depend on your attitude. Don't let negative thinking ruin your descent. If you find yourself dwelling morbidly on your discouraging starting point of seven miles up, think of this: Thirty feet is the cutoff for fatality in a fall. That is, most who fall from thirty feet or higher die. Thirty feet! It's nothing! Pity the poor sod who falls from such a "height." What kind of planning time does he have?  
Think of the pluses in your situation. For example, although you fall faster and faster for the first fifteen seconds or so, you soon reach "terminal velocity"—the point at which atmospheric drag resists gravity's acceleration in a perfect standoff. Not only do you stop speeding up, but because the air is thickening as you fall, you actually begin to slow down. With every foot that you drop, you are going slower and slower.  
There's more. When parachutists focus on a landing zone, sometimes they become so fascinated with it that they forget to pull the ripcord. Since you probably have no ripcord, "target fixation" poses no danger. Count your blessings.  

and a database for fall survivors:
http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/ffresearch.html

Very amusing, being a jumper myself perhaps I should forgo deploying my chute and try out the reccomended landing! As it takes the best part of a 1000 ft to accelerate to a belly down terminal  speed of 120mph from an already moving plane, I find this 'it gets no worse after 30ft' remark bullshit :D Must try :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal