Games, games, games (Read 273138 times)

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#525 Re: Games, games, games
March 07, 2013, 01:40:20 pm
Did you play bioshock 2?
I own it, but havent played out of respect for the first one.
Is it an acceptable follow up?

Personally I have been playing quite a lot of the F2P MOBA game "League of Legends", very satisfying going from complete n00b to not being a complete n00b, as well as finally getting into some of that online multiplayer experience that I had avoided for fear of the 12 year old xboxlive crew.

Just nice to hang out on a skype call with some other video game nerds from time to time.

I used to play SC2 as well, but am finding LoL a far more enjoyable experience...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#526 Re: Games, games, games
March 07, 2013, 01:56:19 pm
Oh dear God Baldy and to think I wadded you on the DFB Poll thread. LOL stealing the e-sports glamour away from SC2, grrrrrrr.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#527 Re: Games, games, games
March 07, 2013, 02:13:01 pm
I really enjoyed Dishonored, it's one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing. The whole thing just ties together so well, the level at the masked ball is one of my all time faves. It does have some flaws but is well worth playing.

Just battling my way through Arkham City then it's back to Skyrim and the DLC.

Anyone know if The Witcher 2 is worth picking up?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#528 Re: Games, games, games
March 07, 2013, 02:20:31 pm
Did you play bioshock 2?
Yeah, loved it, similar to first game really.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#529 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2013, 10:29:03 am
Oh dear God Baldy and to think I wadded you on the DFB Poll thread. LOL stealing the e-sports glamour away from SC2, grrrrrrr.

I think I only enjoyed sc2 playing it with my friends, and when they stopped playing, it stopped being so fun.
the co-op modes are 'looked down upon' as it were.

I didn't want to swap, but then I decided to give it a go and I found out I really enjoyed it... I am an e-sports monster.
 :sorry:

I'll probably still pick up HOTS, if only to play the campaign.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#530 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2013, 10:33:28 am
Heh.

I only play teamplay online 2v2 or 3v3. More fun....hanging out with homiez on Skype, banter and moral support. 1v1 is too competitive and stressful in comparison.

HOTS campaign should be good, WOL was really slick and polished. Going to be fun messing around with Zerg.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#531 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2013, 10:40:23 am
Well if I pick it up in the future then I'll drop my Bnet deets on here, maybe have a game or two if you arent Super-Gosu.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#532 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2013, 11:57:14 am
I really enjoyed Dishonored, it's one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing. The whole thing just ties together so well, the level at the masked ball is one of my all time faves. It does have some flaws but is well worth playing.

Hadn't heard of this so checked it out, looks great, but also came across a game called  'Journey' that won a pile of awards. Sounds very interesting as a concept just from reading reviews, has any one on here had a go on it? Sorry if this has been covered

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#533 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2013, 12:13:05 pm
Well if I pick it up in the future then I'll drop my Bnet deets on here, maybe have a game or two if you arent Super-Gosu.

Nice one. Shambler946 I think I am. fiendophobia on Skype.

Keeping it strictly high silver in teamplay, not too far above noob ;)

JamieG

• forum hero
#534 Re: Games, games, games
March 22, 2013, 04:32:51 pm

Hadn't heard of this so checked it out, looks great, but also came across a game called  'Journey' that won a pile of awards. Sounds very interesting as a concept just from reading reviews, has any one on here had a go on it? Sorry if this has been covered

I have played both dishonoured and journey, both of which are good but in very different ways.

I really liked the setting for Dishonoured and the choices you get in solving each mission. You can approach each level in such a variety of ways. I usually started off trying to be sneaky before getting discovered and having to go for all out chaos. Great fun, definitely recomend.

Journey on the other hand is good for different reasons. It is very beautiful and the soundtrack is lovely, but i'd struglle to really call it a game. It is very short and you can't die. It is more like an arty type expereince or interactive story. I think it go some much love, because it is very different from the norm.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#535 Re: Games, games, games
March 22, 2013, 05:37:12 pm
Cheers

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#536 Re: Games, games, games
March 22, 2013, 05:44:41 pm
Dishonored is not really the longest game either but this encourages you to play again in different ways. This is one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing and played through again, Bayonetta being the other.

And as Jamie says the setting is great, I think it was Viktor Antonov the guy who did the design for Half Life 2.

Well worth picking up, I think I got a copy for 20 quid.

JamieG

• forum hero
#537 Re: Games, games, games
March 22, 2013, 07:19:37 pm
Dishonored is not really the longest game either but this encourages you to play again in different ways. This is one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing and played through again, Bayonetta being the other.

And as Jamie says the setting is great, I think it was Viktor Antonov the guy who did the design for Half Life 2.

Well worth picking up, I think I got a copy for 20 quid.

Ahhh, that makes sense. It did have a half life 2 feel to it. I haven't played back through it again, but I know some DLC is coming out at some point, so I might get that. Definitely a really good game and refreshing not to be told how to approach each level.

As an aside I noticed you are playing Arkham city. Man, I loved that game. Even after completing it, i played for ages trying to get the riddler trophies. Eventually my wife had to tell me "love, you are not batman"! The truth hurts sometimes!

I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni, which I'm really enjoying. I was a fan of the Studio Ghibli films, but I've never really played JRPGs. The animation is beautiful. Really engaging story (if slightly cheesy at times). I like the battle system, but i believe some people don't. Overall definitely worth it for a change from my usual games.

Also apologies for my terrible spelling and grammar in the last post (and probably this one).

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#538 Re: Games, games, games
March 22, 2013, 07:24:58 pm

Eventually my wife had to tell me "love, you are not batman"! The truth hurts sometimes!

We've all been through it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#539 Re: Games, games, games
March 24, 2013, 08:42:10 am
Crysis 2

Aka Crysis Of Duty on-rails linear shooter...

Pros:
+ Graphics are very good.
+ Cityscape is well done.
+ Gets truly spectacular later with city destruction and alien interference.
+ Gameplay works well as usual in CryX series.
+ Fog / hazy effects particularly good, and enhance atmosphere.
+ Aliens are pretty cool and a good tough challenge.
+ Intensity ramps up nicely later on, as does diversity.

Cons:
- Extremely consolised as follows:
- Linear levels boring compared to Crysis.
- Too few options to explore around
- Suit voice is very annoying.
- City a bit boring at first.
- Tactical options on HUD are silly handing-it-on-a-plate nonsense.
- Too broken up with cutscenes, intermissions, transmissions, etc.
- Lots of things to pick up and fuck all you can do with them.
- Otherwise limited and haphazard interactions i.e. can only shoot half the lights, can't shoot infected, etc etc.

Overall it is not the open exploratory sequel to Crysis that I expected, but I did enjoy it. By the end, the consolised hand-holding, disjointed progress, gung-ho vocals and tedious immersion-buggering map scenes were annoying me far more than the linearity - but were in turn well compensated for by the gameplay, reasonable diversity, graphics, and spectacle of the city. Sure it is so much COD-like I could feel by brain rotting each time I played it, but as a shooter it's pretty fine and I'm definitely going to get C3.

Also had a great moment when I nearly got jumped by a Seph on a rooftop and got alerted by his shadow from the evening sun and shot the fucker in the face before he buttraped me....don't thnk I've had such a good demonstration of the possible gameplay benefits of a pure graphical enhancement before...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#540 Re: Games, games, games
March 24, 2013, 09:51:01 am
My most up to date experience of gaming is Elite on a BBC Micro and Angry Birds and now my son has convinced Frau M that an Xbox for his birthday is a good idea.

He wants a flight sim. It's his tenth birthday and neither of us has any experience of such things, so full-on airline pilot training realism is out of the question, but I want something with a bit of aeronautic skill/learning requirement not a mindless shooter.

Help!  :please:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#541 Re: Games, games, games
March 24, 2013, 05:23:41 pm
PCs are far better for flight sims, but this Metacritic page may help you see what's available (not a great deal). You can drill down to detailed reviews, etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/date/flight/xbox360?view=detailed

I've never played any of them so unfortunately can't help with a personal recommendation.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#542 Re: Games, games, games
March 24, 2013, 05:33:31 pm
Ace combat is about the only one that come to mind.

This is also supposed to be ok.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#543 Re: Games, games, games
March 25, 2013, 05:40:26 pm
Strictly for the geex:

WH40k: Space Marine

+ Ruined forgeworld background is good
+ All weapons useful, satisfying and characterful (apart from GL)
+ Bomb squigs very cute, Bloodletters very cool
+ Violence is great- lots of blood and flying bodies
+ Very true to 40k universe
+ Intense gameplay, requiring a good mix of aggression and caution.
+ Progress and missions pretty smooth and natural.

- Very clunky controls and running screenshake annoying.
- Utterly on-rails progress (it's like a FPS side-scroller as far as lack of interaction with the cool backgrounds)
- No interaction with anything nearby either.
- Graphics strictly previous generation and quite bland.
- Checkpoints often before cutscenes / a long way before tough fights
- Save points at boss battle so bad I didn't complete the game
- Voices boring and Ork voices grating.

Next up: re-downloading Far Cry 3 after buggering up my first installation by uninstalling the pointless annoyance that is U-Play (like Steam isn't enough already). Waiting for Tomb Raider to arrive (but banned from playing it until my burd has a chance to). Waiting for DS3 and Cry3 to drop in price as since EA also insist on pointless annoyances with Origin even for physical fucking copies, I want to give them as little money as possible.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#544 Re: Games, games, games
March 25, 2013, 10:58:29 pm
Tomb raider is very worthwhile....

* disclaimer* I am so fond of these games I named my daughter after Ms Croft.

Great story, true 18 rating mind... And it rings true to the premise.. On how Lara became Lara.

Puzzles too easy, replay limited. Gun fighting superb. Graphics very impressive for a ps3 game. Beginning 30 mins too much hit the button as displayed on the screen.. Character development outstanding thereafter.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#545 Re: Games, games, games
April 01, 2013, 11:44:46 pm
Anyone a fan of RTS's?

Years ago, I worked on an MMORTS for an indie startup company. The game was dubbed Dawn of Fantasy. It had grand ambitions, but limited finances. Many of the staff, myself included, ended up doing a lot of work for free. Various disasters struck - funding collapses, advertising failures, a horribly buggy release... But the company struggled on, releasing patch after patch, and eventually reaching a point where it seems like the game might now have finally realised its potential. It's been a long time since I worked for this company, but I really hope this game does well. If you are interested, check it out here (looks like there is a discount on it right now):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227180/

"Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars is the first full 3D MMORTS with real-time siege combat."

If anyone gives it a go, I'd be interested to know what you think.

p.s. Ignore metacritic reviews - they are based on the buggy release from over a year ago. Check out the steam forum feedback if you want to see what people think of the current incarnation.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#546 Re: Games, games, games
April 11, 2013, 10:55:35 am

JamieG

• forum hero
#547 Re: Games, games, games
April 17, 2013, 06:51:01 pm
An important question for any PS3 gamers out there . . . which game next?

Dark Souls!!

It amazing and definitely the best game I've played in a long, long time (and I hate rpg's). The in-depth hit/block/dodge/parry & riposte fighting system is great and yes - it is a tough game but if you make it through the first couple of hours you'll be hooked. It'll all make sense when you realise that you can't button mash your way through every fight and patience wins the day (because pretty much any enemy can kill you in seconds). Mistakes are punished quickly and the fear of imminent death all the time gives the game a unique feel - the complete opposite to so many other games which make you feel like a badass killing machine all the time. This isn't a 'feell-good' game and not something you'd play to unwind but if you make it through, its a very rewarding experience. My game of the (last) year.

Hi Carnage,

This recommendation still haunts me. I haven't had the guts yet to buy Dark Souls, but it crops up everytime I think about getting a new game. My main worry is that it will be too hard and too nerdy. But I do like a challenge and the gameplay video I watch look cool. And also you say that RPGs aren't your thing really and you loved it. Is it more really an action game? Hmmmmm what to do. I think I should pick it up and give it a go, but then I haven't played the other big RPG in recent years Skyrim and that gets a lot of love too. I've never played any of Bethesda's other games either. Any thoughts to help my dilema? Anyone else played either or both and fancy aiding my decision. My wife is going away for a few weeks and I need a distraction that takes up the time and am not sure which one to wade into.

Cheers James

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#548 Re: Games, games, games
April 18, 2013, 12:24:02 am
I've pm'd you.

JamieG

• forum hero
#549 Re: Games, games, games
April 18, 2013, 03:50:21 pm
I've pm'd you.

Bought Dark Souls now. Will report back. Slightly scared!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal