Author Topic: Games, games, games  (Read 61729 times)

Offline Dolly

• the devil of single pivots are now admonished..o
  • forum hero
Re: Games, games, games
« Reply #525 on: March 06, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »
Good fun but you have to like the whole "Nintendo thing" in terms of software ATM
Speculation in the trade press that price will drop further so you might want to hold on a bit
fat old* dads, happily married with kids, waffling on about high class sheffield restaurants and stuff.

Offline Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
« Reply #526 on: March 06, 2013, 04:59:54 pm »
Cheers Dolly, yeah I'm not really in any hurry. We don't use the old Wii a lot but think the kids will increasingly want to use it. I like the fact it's backwards compatible with the Wii games we have, also like the idea of Lovefilm streaming in HD, (current Wii only does SD)

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #527 on: March 06, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »
Just played:

Dishonoured - very cool steampunk action/stealth FPS, good fun.

Still playing:

Skyrim Dragonborn DLC - more of the same but I am addicted.
Starcraft II - esports etc etc.
Space Marine - suitably done but really not captivating me.

Not yet playing:

Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Far Cry 3
Dead Space 3

Adding to the list of games I'll want to buy but not get round to playing:

Starcraft II Heart Of The Swarm
Bioshock Infinite
Tombraider reboot
Quote from: fried
Fuck me, I have a five month backlog of watching Fiend dressed as a camp Serbian paramilitary climbing choss in Dundee. YYFY.

Offline fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
« Reply #528 on: March 06, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »
Crysis 3,

Didn't like 2, too polished... Didn't feel in the game..

damn yeh!

Recommended.

Offline Bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #529 on: March 07, 2013, 05:26:31 am »
Dishonoured - very cool steampunk action/stealth FPS, good fun.
Might get this. Meant to pick it up last year then forgot about it.

And definitely

Bioshock Infinite

...if it's anything as good as the first 2 games. Not so sure about Tombraider, might wait and grab a 2nd hand copy.

Offline Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
« Reply #530 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:20 pm »
Did you play bioshock 2?
I own it, but havent played out of respect for the first one.
Is it an acceptable follow up?

Personally I have been playing quite a lot of the F2P MOBA game "League of Legends", very satisfying going from complete n00b to not being a complete n00b, as well as finally getting into some of that online multiplayer experience that I had avoided for fear of the 12 year old xboxlive crew.

Just nice to hang out on a skype call with some other video game nerds from time to time.

I used to play SC2 as well, but am finding LoL a far more enjoyable experience...
Si Si Venga! El Coche es Rojo! Eres un oca! - Chris Sharma

http://cbclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #531 on: March 07, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »
Oh dear God Baldy and to think I wadded you on the DFB Poll thread. LOL stealing the e-sports glamour away from SC2, grrrrrrr.
Fuck me, I have a five month backlog of watching Fiend dressed as a camp Serbian paramilitary climbing choss in Dundee. YYFY.

Offline Zods Beard

• forum abuser
« Reply #532 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »
I really enjoyed Dishonored, it's one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing. The whole thing just ties together so well, the level at the masked ball is one of my all time faves. It does have some flaws but is well worth playing.

Just battling my way through Arkham City then it's back to Skyrim and the DLC.

Anyone know if The Witcher 2 is worth picking up?
I haven't had front row seats since my Moonie wedding.

Offline Bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #533 on: March 07, 2013, 02:20:31 pm »
Did you play bioshock 2?
Yeah, loved it, similar to first game really.

Offline Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
« Reply #534 on: March 08, 2013, 10:29:03 am »
Oh dear God Baldy and to think I wadded you on the DFB Poll thread. LOL stealing the e-sports glamour away from SC2, grrrrrrr.

I think I only enjoyed sc2 playing it with my friends, and when they stopped playing, it stopped being so fun.
the co-op modes are 'looked down upon' as it were.

I didn't want to swap, but then I decided to give it a go and I found out I really enjoyed it... I am an e-sports monster.
 :sorry:

I'll probably still pick up HOTS, if only to play the campaign.

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
Heh.

I only play teamplay online 2v2 or 3v3. More fun....hanging out with homiez on Skype, banter and moral support. 1v1 is too competitive and stressful in comparison.

HOTS campaign should be good, WOL was really slick and polished. Going to be fun messing around with Zerg.

Offline Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
« Reply #536 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:23 am »
Well if I pick it up in the future then I'll drop my Bnet deets on here, maybe have a game or two if you arent Super-Gosu.

Online GuyVG

• forum hero
  • don't just stare at it
« Reply #537 on: March 08, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
I really enjoyed Dishonored, it's one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing. The whole thing just ties together so well, the level at the masked ball is one of my all time faves. It does have some flaws but is well worth playing.

Hadn't heard of this so checked it out, looks great, but also came across a game called  'Journey' that won a pile of awards. Sounds very interesting as a concept just from reading reviews, has any one on here had a go on it? Sorry if this has been covered

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:05 pm »
Well if I pick it up in the future then I'll drop my Bnet deets on here, maybe have a game or two if you arent Super-Gosu.

Nice one. Shambler946 I think I am. fiendophobia on Skype.

Keeping it strictly high silver in teamplay, not too far above noob ;)

Offline JamieG

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »

Hadn't heard of this so checked it out, looks great, but also came across a game called  'Journey' that won a pile of awards. Sounds very interesting as a concept just from reading reviews, has any one on here had a go on it? Sorry if this has been covered

I have played both dishonoured and journey, both of which are good but in very different ways.

I really liked the setting for Dishonoured and the choices you get in solving each mission. You can approach each level in such a variety of ways. I usually started off trying to be sneaky before getting discovered and having to go for all out chaos. Great fun, definitely recomend.

Journey on the other hand is good for different reasons. It is very beautiful and the soundtrack is lovely, but i'd struglle to really call it a game. It is very short and you can't die. It is more like an arty type expereince or interactive story. I think it go some much love, because it is very different from the norm.

Online GuyVG

• forum hero
  • don't just stare at it
« Reply #540 on: March 22, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »
Cheers

Offline Zods Beard

• forum abuser
« Reply #541 on: March 22, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »
Dishonored is not really the longest game either but this encourages you to play again in different ways. This is one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing and played through again, Bayonetta being the other.

And as Jamie says the setting is great, I think it was Viktor Antonov the guy who did the design for Half Life 2.

Well worth picking up, I think I got a copy for 20 quid.

Offline JamieG

• obsessive maniac
« Reply #542 on: March 22, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »
Dishonored is not really the longest game either but this encourages you to play again in different ways. This is one of the few games I've gone back to after finishing and played through again, Bayonetta being the other.

And as Jamie says the setting is great, I think it was Viktor Antonov the guy who did the design for Half Life 2.

Well worth picking up, I think I got a copy for 20 quid.

Ahhh, that makes sense. It did have a half life 2 feel to it. I haven't played back through it again, but I know some DLC is coming out at some point, so I might get that. Definitely a really good game and refreshing not to be told how to approach each level.

As an aside I noticed you are playing Arkham city. Man, I loved that game. Even after completing it, i played for ages trying to get the riddler trophies. Eventually my wife had to tell me "love, you are not batman"! The truth hurts sometimes!

I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni, which I'm really enjoying. I was a fan of the Studio Ghibli films, but I've never really played JRPGs. The animation is beautiful. Really engaging story (if slightly cheesy at times). I like the battle system, but i believe some people don't. Overall definitely worth it for a change from my usual games.

Also apologies for my terrible spelling and grammar in the last post (and probably this one).

Offline Zods Beard

• forum abuser
« Reply #543 on: March 22, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

Eventually my wife had to tell me "love, you are not batman"! The truth hurts sometimes!

We've all been through it.

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2013, 08:42:10 am »
Crysis 2

Aka Crysis Of Duty on-rails linear shooter...

Pros:
+ Graphics are very good.
+ Cityscape is well done.
+ Gets truly spectacular later with city destruction and alien interference.
+ Gameplay works well as usual in CryX series.
+ Fog / hazy effects particularly good, and enhance atmosphere.
+ Aliens are pretty cool and a good tough challenge.
+ Intensity ramps up nicely later on, as does diversity.

Cons:
- Extremely consolised as follows:
- Linear levels boring compared to Crysis.
- Too few options to explore around
- Suit voice is very annoying.
- City a bit boring at first.
- Tactical options on HUD are silly handing-it-on-a-plate nonsense.
- Too broken up with cutscenes, intermissions, transmissions, etc.
- Lots of things to pick up and fuck all you can do with them.
- Otherwise limited and haphazard interactions i.e. can only shoot half the lights, can't shoot infected, etc etc.

Overall it is not the open exploratory sequel to Crysis that I expected, but I did enjoy it. By the end, the consolised hand-holding, disjointed progress, gung-ho vocals and tedious immersion-buggering map scenes were annoying me far more than the linearity - but were in turn well compensated for by the gameplay, reasonable diversity, graphics, and spectacle of the city. Sure it is so much COD-like I could feel by brain rotting each time I played it, but as a shooter it's pretty fine and I'm definitely going to get C3.

Also had a great moment when I nearly got jumped by a Seph on a rooftop and got alerted by his shadow from the evening sun and shot the fucker in the face before he buttraped me....don't thnk I've had such a good demonstration of the possible gameplay benefits of a pure graphical enhancement before...

Offline Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2013, 09:51:01 am »
My most up to date experience of gaming is Elite on a BBC Micro and Angry Birds and now my son has convinced Frau M that an Xbox for his birthday is a good idea.

He wants a flight sim. It's his tenth birthday and neither of us has any experience of such things, so full-on airline pilot training realism is out of the question, but I want something with a bit of aeronautic skill/learning requirement not a mindless shooter.

Help!  :please:
jawohl!

Offline Bubba

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #546 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »
PCs are far better for flight sims, but this Metacritic page may help you see what's available (not a great deal). You can drill down to detailed reviews, etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/date/flight/xbox360?view=detailed

I've never played any of them so unfortunately can't help with a personal recommendation.

Offline Zods Beard

• forum abuser
« Reply #547 on: March 24, 2013, 05:33:31 pm »
Ace combat is about the only one that come to mind.

This is also supposed to be ok.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Offline Fiend

• forum hero
  • where am i?
« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:26 pm »
Strictly for the geex:

WH40k: Space Marine

+ Ruined forgeworld background is good
+ All weapons useful, satisfying and characterful (apart from GL)
+ Bomb squigs very cute, Bloodletters very cool
+ Violence is great- lots of blood and flying bodies
+ Very true to 40k universe
+ Intense gameplay, requiring a good mix of aggression and caution.
+ Progress and missions pretty smooth and natural.

- Very clunky controls and running screenshake annoying.
- Utterly on-rails progress (it's like a FPS side-scroller as far as lack of interaction with the cool backgrounds)
- No interaction with anything nearby either.
- Graphics strictly previous generation and quite bland.
- Checkpoints often before cutscenes / a long way before tough fights
- Save points at boss battle so bad I didn't complete the game
- Voices boring and Ork voices grating.

Next up: re-downloading Far Cry 3 after buggering up my first installation by uninstalling the pointless annoyance that is U-Play (like Steam isn't enough already). Waiting for Tomb Raider to arrive (but banned from playing it until my burd has a chance to). Waiting for DS3 and Cry3 to drop in price as since EA also insist on pointless annoyances with Origin even for physical fucking copies, I want to give them as little money as possible.

Offline fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »
Tomb raider is very worthwhile....

* disclaimer* I am so fond of these games I named my daughter after Ms Croft.

Great story, true 18 rating mind... And it rings true to the premise.. On how Lara became Lara.

Puzzles too easy, replay limited. Gun fighting superb. Graphics very impressive for a ps3 game. Beginning 30 mins too much hit the button as displayed on the screen.. Character development outstanding thereafter.