UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 273398 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
#700 Re: Games, games, games
June 09, 2015, 01:11:31 pm
I have to say I found Fallout 3 really monotonous. I was really looking forward to playing it, since it got rave reviews. But I just felt I was totally missing the point. It didn't engage me at all. I enjoy the FarCry and GTA games etc, but they feel more like a giant digital playpen, where you can just got out and have fun without really paying attention to the story/world etc. The Withcer's story, character and world have definitely caught my attention. I like the way every quest, regardless of size feels like it fits into the world naturally. Gwent feels a little out of place, but enjoy it anyway.

Interestingly I'm not really a completionist and I don't mind 'missing' sidequests etc. In fact i feel this adds to the engagement, since i feel like i pick and choose the quest and activities that are interesting to me and i don't feel like there is a ticklist of things i have to finish. Just going through the world in a natural manner, making the difference that i can. :-)

TheTwig

• stalker
#701 Re: Games, games, games
June 12, 2015, 02:09:06 pm
Gwent is good fun. Once you learn how you can beat the AI most of the time though obviously luck and your deck makes all the difference. It's hard to beat the 'big hitters' when you have a crap deck or draw. regardless I've had some wicked games. I can count the number of times I've sat looking at the screen yelling 'you cheeky bastard' ha ha.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#702 Re: Games, games, games
June 12, 2015, 02:10:50 pm
board games anyone?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#703 Re: Games, games, games
June 12, 2015, 02:32:42 pm
yup want suggestions or opinions?

Family games
Hare and the tortoise - card based race game. Very simple 15-20 mins per game. I play this with my 5 year old nephew and friends who are mid 20's to late 40's
Sheriff of nottingham - a great game of lying and deceit. Especially fun if people are willing to roleplay/act a bit. better for older kids 9+.
Treasure island/desert - Cooperative game fighting against the game. Really fun.
Adventure tours - fun game very easy.

Keep an eye out for looney quest. Fantastic game. I played a demo as part of voting for games awards recently. Its like an old arcade game but as a board game

Flux (many variation) - The rules keep changing. Card game of randomness

Not so Family
Zombiecide is great fun for co oprative miniature fighting game.
Witcher - great fun! takes hours though.
Xcom - fun but hard. each round is times and the pressure builds. Co operative against the game.

Wil Wheatons tabletop on youtube is worth a watch for reviews of games.

andy_e

• forum hero
#704 Re: Games, games, games
June 12, 2015, 02:35:04 pm
Family games
Sheriff of nottingham - a great game of lying and deceit.

Ah, that great bastion of family virtues- lying and deceit.  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#705 Re: Games, games, games
June 13, 2015, 02:08:51 pm
Rather pleased to have earned this - Destiny players will understand...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:54:20 am by Bubba »

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#706 Re: Games, games, games
June 14, 2015, 07:14:53 am
Family games
Sheriff of nottingham - a great game of lying and deceit.

Ah, that great bastion of family virtues- lying and deceit.  :lol:
Have you never played games where uncle dickhead* makes rules up so he always wins or aunty cheat who is always the banker and never seems to run out of money etc?

*not really a dickhead but you know what I mean ;D

andy_e

• forum hero
#707 Re: Games, games, games
June 14, 2015, 11:08:34 am
Ha, good point!

TheTwig

• stalker
#708 Re: Games, games, games
June 15, 2015, 04:27:28 pm
Rather pleased to have earned this - Destiny players will understand...

no idea but that looks gorgeous  ;D I'm guessing you beat the hardest raid boss or something? ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#709 Re: Games, games, games
June 15, 2015, 06:01:10 pm

Doom4, Fallout4, Dishonoured2 footage/trailers/reveals. Only watched the D4/D2 bits, psyched for both!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#710 Re: Games, games, games
June 15, 2015, 07:49:41 pm
no idea but that looks gorgeous  ;D I'm guessing you beat the hardest raid boss or something? ;)
It is a very pretty game :)

The screenshot is from an area called The Lighthouse which you can only gain access to if you get a "flawless" run in the high end weekly "Trials of Osiris" PvP playlist. You have to win 9 games of 5 rounds of elimination without losing a game...which is hard because it attracts the best PvP players.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#712 Re: Games, games, games
July 16, 2015, 11:55:32 am
TBH I'm not that excited about procedurally generated stuff (be it planets or dungeons). It's a good way to get a lot of STUFF from combining various variables, but it doesn't look like it gives the planets a lot of character or depth. Quantity over quality....

TheTwig

• stalker
#713 Re: Games, games, games
July 17, 2015, 09:46:38 am
What fiend said. Maybe I missed something obvious but I couldn't understand what the 'point' of that game was. This coming from someone that at one point has enjoyed pretty much every genre of game, my little pony fandom games being the exception  :P

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#714 Re: Games, games, games
July 17, 2015, 10:00:47 am

This is what I'm psyched for at the moment. Strong style, just looks pretty neat (squad based tactical gameplay).

iain

• forum abuser
#715 Re: Games, games, games
July 17, 2015, 11:20:55 am
This sounds pretty amazing:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/12/no-mans-sky-18-quintillion-planets-hello-games
It kind of does but the cartoony style doesn't do it for me, I'll give it a try though. The 'point' of NMS is the journey to the centre of the galaxy/universe, we'll see if the gameplay/mechanics are varied enough to hold the interest while you do that.

I've been meaning to mention this for a while, actually has the real stars/planets in our galaxy that we know about, with everything else procedurally generated:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/05/elite-dangerous-review

It looks beautiful. Some in game footage from a film competition earlier in the year:

- has some post processing effects added

However despite the amazing visuals and good mechanics...
TBH I'm not that excited about procedurally generated stuff (be it planets or dungeons). It's a good way to get a lot of STUFF from combining various variables, but it doesn't look like it gives the planets a lot of character or depth. Quantity over quality....
this lets it down. Procedural mechanics/narratives that draw you in are hard and Elite hasn't done it yet, although they're still developing and adding to it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#716 Re: Games, games, games
September 17, 2015, 05:12:58 pm
Been slowly getting into Satellite Reign: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

A bit slow to start but I quite like it. The story is unengaging and the missions seem repetitive so far, but it functions pretty well, the style is done real nicely (especially if playing on a drizzly evening) and the soundtrack is nice.

Gallant

• player
#717 Re: Games, games, games
September 17, 2015, 05:24:48 pm
I've accidentally sunk 54 hours in MGS: PP, and I'm yet to complete the main story, game is telling me I'm 43% complete or so.
It's fairly addictive, and there are far less cut scenes in it that the majority of the previous games, and the removal of a codec in favour of cassette tapes you can listen / relisten to at any time is fairly handy.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#718 Re: Games, games, games
September 23, 2015, 11:02:13 am
Just started SOMA: http://store.steampowered.com/app/282140/

Story-based sci-fi survival horror thing. Never played Amnesia but the videos of this looked good enough to pre-order. So far so good. Good graphics and theme (just got to an underwater bit which is very cool), good easy controls, obligatory creepy atmosphere, and intriguing enough story. Hasn't been much actual gameplay but for the vibe of the world it seems worth it.

JackAus

• junky
#719 Re: Games, games, games
September 27, 2015, 11:54:42 am
Bought a new gaming PC, should be arriving this week. Finally get around to starting so many games in my Steam account.......

JamieG

• forum hero
#720 Re: Games, games, games
September 27, 2015, 12:06:31 pm
I completed the Witcher. Amazing game, but my goodness was it long! Even when you think you are near the end, it still goes on for several hours. Overall all I think it is one of the best games I have ever played. Absolutely loved it, but it is a serious time sink. 10/10.

Now playing Mad Max. Good fun. Pretty mindless. Anyone who has played Far Cry type games knows the score. Story is pretty non existent. Characters are good though and I like the world. Fun car combat and clearing out camps. 7/10.

JamieG

• forum hero
#721 Re: Games, games, games
October 02, 2015, 03:31:56 pm
Gallant, I have been trying to get my head around the appeal of MGSV. I enjoyed the first one on PS1 and quite enjoyed the second, but after that they seemed to just weirder and weirder. A lots of people seem to say this one is really good fun, but I feel a bit apprehensive. What is it that makes it work for you? Anyone else had a go at it?

Gallant

• player
#722 Re: Games, games, games
October 02, 2015, 05:30:51 pm
I think with this one it's a combination of ridiculous map size (running from side mission to side mission can eat up an hour or two if they're on opposite sides of one of the two maps (Afghanistan and Africa), a plot that isn't central to game play (I've had friends who've only played MGS when it was first on the PS1 pick this up and just enjoy sneaking about / murdering everything in sight rather than feeling alienated because they didn't get what was going on) and the addition of both base and troop management is quite nice. I'm largely playing it sneaking about, aiming largely to never get spotted and avoid the enemy unless I can put him to sleep silently and send them off to work for me. It's also absolutely stunning environmentally, and the day / night mechanics whilst a little flawed (Sun always sets at about 6pm, always rises at about 6am) mean that guard shifts have to rotate so you need to plan your route into bases around that.
It's a Metal Gear Solid game in that the characters are from previous games, with minimal additions from what I gather thus far, there's the odd bit of bullshit 'science', and you can choose to sneak, but it's far less linear and you don't get smacked down entirely if you don't play missions one exact way, most missions are fairly forgiving in fact - the time slowing down when you alert a guard to give you the chance to take him out is interesting, though if you think it makes it too easy it can be turned off in settings.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#723 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2015, 12:44:20 pm
Just finished SOMA, 13 hours although I suspect most people will do it in less. It's a pretty captivating 13 hours though. Runs out of steam a bit at the end and the two main plotlines don't seem to relate much to each other. BUT aside from that it's really good throughout. Atmosphere, gfx and sound are top notch, it's very vibey especially underwater, and the story is fairly gripping.

Gallant

• player
#724 Re: Games, games, games
October 14, 2015, 06:23:24 pm
An update on MGS, having now finished it - a very lacklustre ending (it basically doesn't actually finish as a game) somewhat damaged this game in my eyes, though aside from that, and continuing to play through, it's still an exceptionally fun and time consuming game!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal