Games, games, games (Read 273267 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#650 Re: Games, games, games
March 10, 2015, 10:01:26 pm
XCom Enemy Within - sequel / DLC / expansion to XCom Enemy Unknown - more of the same with a few tweaks. I.e. it's still brilliant.

Before that:

Warmachine Tactics Demo - quite stylish and looks totally faithful to the tabletop game, but currently pretty clunky and not nearly as slick as XCom.

Bioshock Infinite Lost At Sea DLC Part 1 - quite nice to blend Infinite and the original, although it didn't captivate me as much.

The Evil Within - horrible console controls / perspective and wildly incoherent, but some some pretty cool scenes and enemy and some good horror moments.

Currently installed and next up:

Alien Isolation, Space Hulk Ascension, Metro 2033 Redux

HTH!

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#651 Re: Games, games, games
March 10, 2015, 10:41:01 pm
I've been playing Alien Isolation and have been enjoying it a lot. A highlight was breathing too heavily into my mic whilst hiding and the alien looking right at me!! Only on the console versions I think though.

I'm still trying to finish Dark Souls but the GTA 5 heists are finally live and are a lot of fun from what I've been told although I haven't been able to get online and confirm yet.

JamieG

• forum hero
#652 Re: Games, games, games
March 11, 2015, 02:34:26 pm
Good lists guys.

My wife is quite keen to play Alien Isolation. Looks pretty scary to me. I'm not very good at survival horror, how you finding it.

I've never tried the XCOM games. Might give them a whirl if you think they're good.

Durbs

• forum hero
#653 Re: Games, games, games
March 11, 2015, 03:34:20 pm

Bioshock Infinite Lost At Sea DLC Part 1 - quite nice to blend Infinite and the original, although it didn't captivate me as much.

It's a good add-on, but it's ridiculously hard - and not always in a challenging way. Ammo and Salt is so scarce you have to be a ridiculously good shot, combined with a slightly too forgiving death penalty meaning it's often just a case of dying lots to progress.

Banished
Cute little indie town management game, the original is slightly limited in scope, but excellent mod support.

Hitman: Absolution
I suck at this game, but it's very involving.

Stranded Deep
Currently in Alpha, but surprisingly deep and involved survival game

Also, lots of boardgames, but not sure how much interest there is on here for them?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:40:07 pm by Durbs »

blacky

• addict
#654 Re: Games, games, games
March 11, 2015, 05:28:14 pm
Destiny seems to be getting a mixed reception. Anyone tried it?
I've got Destiny on X1.

Single Player - meh, can't be arsed. Played first bit but got bored.
Co-op / raids / etc - has potential.
Multiplayer - plays really really well (as you'd expect from Bungie) with great maps.

I'm quite enjoying it atm but I'm not sure I can be arsed with the RPG style long term commitment of having to grind gear/materials/etc to remain competitive. I'd prefer something where you can just pick it up again after a month off and still be able to compete on an even playing field. 

It's been a good diversion but I suspect I'll return to BF4 until H5 comes out.

Hmmm, good knowledge Bubba. Not really a multi-player person (maybe because I always get spanked!), so I think I may give destiny a miss.

Also I forgot. Hotline Miami is absolutely awesome. Super fast paced top down carnage. Amazing music. Weird story. Highly recommend.

Destiny is amazing in my opinion. I prefer the PvE side, which is cooperative and lots of fun on raids if you get in with a good group. The downside of the game is that it's a major grind to level up and obtain the best weapons. It might say something about my personality but I haven't put another disc in my PS4 since December  :o Hit me up if anyone fancies a raid some time!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#655 Re: Games, games, games
March 11, 2015, 09:02:30 pm
Hmm I should probably have revised my review because I have spent the last 6 months quite addicted to Destiny. It served a purpose as pretty much the only way I could switch off from the stress of my partner's illness.

The downsides are: shit story, repetitive day to day tasks, buggy raids, stupid upgrade decisions by Bungie.

The good things are: The raids....well Vault of Glass anyway which is amazing, Crota's End feels more like a long strike. The multiplayer.

I'm glad that now I have 3x32 characters and every weapon I want/need (just 1 exotic to get I think), all the raid armour and all items from CE hard mode...so now I don't need to grind for anything; well until the next expansion anyway.

I can now just play a bit of multiplayer, an occasional raid and then turn it off again. It's actually fun again now.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#656 Re: Games, games, games
March 11, 2015, 09:43:49 pm
Alien Isolation is very good, especially if you're a fan of the 1st film. It creates a very tense atmosphere. Without giving too much away it does become more of a 'traditional' 1st person shooter later sadly but even then is still good. But the actual game design is brilliant, retro futuristic just like the film, like Dead Space the setting of the game is the real star.

Nice one on the Destiny waddage Bubba, it really seems to polarise opinions eh?? I don't think I spent enough time with it.

I did manage to get onto GTA5 and can report the heists are a lot of fun, I think I'll be playing this more again now.

And one game I didn't mention was Titanfall, I love this game, reminds of Unreal, Quake etc, so fast. Best FPS at the moment in my opinion. And to make things better, all the current DLC has just been released for free across all platforms with the main game being very cheap. Get to it..

blacky

• addict
#657 Re: Games, games, games
March 12, 2015, 12:29:03 pm

Nice one on the Destiny waddage Bubba, it really seems to polarise opinions eh?? I don't think I spent enough time with it.

Waddage indeed, you must have put some serious time in! I've got one 32, a 31 and a fledgling titan. Apparently I've put nearly 7 days into my 32 character :o Agree that once you're levelled or nearly so, it becomes a lot more fun / less time consuming. Hopefully the next DLC will provide a bit more meat and a little less grind than the last.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#658 Re: Games, games, games
March 12, 2015, 12:36:23 pm
I've never tried the XCOM games. Might give them a whirl if you think they're good.
They are genuinely great games. I'd never tried turn-based strategy before but gave XC:EU a go and could see why it was so highly acclaimed. Very polished, very well produced, and the tactical gameplay is really addictive. It does have a steep learning curve though!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#659 Re: Games, games, games
March 12, 2015, 04:46:04 pm

Waddage indeed, you must have put some serious time in! I've got one 32, a 31 and a fledgling titan. Apparently I've put nearly 7 days into my 32 character :o Agree that once you're levelled or nearly so, it becomes a lot more fun / less time consuming. Hopefully the next DLC will provide a bit more meat and a little less grind than the last.

Well I can be a proper sad twat. Found the last char easy to level because you just pick up gear for it from the other two.

The next DLC had better be a lot better than Dark Below or I can't see the game having much of a future.  It also needs a proper social hub - The Tower is shit.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#660 Re: Games, games, games
March 14, 2015, 09:00:32 am
Saints row 3. For a fiver. All the best bits of a crime sim.. Designed for fun, fun fun.

Add in smattering of infantile innuendo and some stereotypical media induced sexual stereotypes with drone controlled urban warfare and there u go.

Frankly, it ace we have

Plattsy

• forum hero
#661 Re: Games, games, games
March 28, 2015, 03:32:13 pm
Loads of 80s Spectrum 48/128k games from the 80s for that nostalgia hit.

http://torinak.com/qaop/games

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#662 Re: Games, games, games
April 01, 2015, 04:59:58 pm
The clocks have changed, the evenings have lengthened, I've got back training at Ratho.....and the weather is fucking vile. Welcome to summer. Thus:

Space Hulk Ascension:

Revamped version of a fairly recent game based on the classic Games Workshop boardgame (which has no doubt been a firm favourite pastime of rest days at gites and bunkhouses throughout the bouldering world). I struggled a lot on the first mission, gave the 2nd mission 3 attempts to convince me not to uninstall the game, just scraped through, and have found it surprisingly moreish...

+ It's a very accurate recreation of the boardgame.
+ It's a very accurate portrayal of the 40K universe and themes.
+ Has a high and distinct tactical challenge.
+ Surprisingly addictive given how frustrating it can be.
+ Easy to dip and just play a mission or two.
+ Satisfyingly visceral bloodbaths when it all goes to plan.
+ Budget price.

- It's a very accurate recreation of the boardgame.
- It's a very accurate portrayal of the 40K universe and themes.
- Has a high and distinct tactical challenge.
- Surprisingly frustrating given how addictive it can be.
- No story and very little context given.
- Missions are quite repetitive.
- Corridor maps are dull and graphics are minimally used.
- Corridor gameplay and Terminator movement is very clunky.
- Steep learning curve cliff if you're not familiar with the game.

If anyone is thinking of trying it, here's some pro-tips from a previous noob:

1. Overwatch overwatch overwatch.
2. See 1.
3. Always save APs for overwatch until you've got everything planned.
4. Upgrade APs as soon as possible.
5. Flamer's area-denial and Psychers prescience are life-savers.
6. Remember that turning costs APs, certain combinations of square movements are better than others.
7. Avoid close combat like the plague: Miss a shot and you can shoot again or overwatch or shoot with other squad members. Miss a CC attack and you're dead. Unless you're facing a flank for a 100% kill, CC is a waste of time (as is having CC-only Termies in the game at all!)
8. If you find a big square room get in it straight away as they are easy to defend.
9. Don't leave your back turned to a Genestealer.
10. Moving square by square can give you more shooting options.

Divinity Original Sin:

On a bit of a tactical / strategic / role-play tip at the moment, so this highly acclaimed combination of classic RPG progression and turn-based gameplay seemed to fit the bill. Except it's so difficult and long-winded that I have given up.

+ Ticks all the classic RPG boxes.
+ Has seemingly endless abilities, classes, stats, items, options, etc etc.
+ Turn-based strategy does offer something different.
+ Looks pretty nice in a bright cartoony sort of way.

- Ticks all the classic RPG boxes - the biggest pile of by-the-numbers cliches I've ever seen.
- Has seemingly endless abilities, classes, stats, items, options, etc etc - and there's no introduction or explanation of any of them and there's so much to wade through that you could get a standard 15 hours gameplay of just learning all that shit.
- Cartoony style is not to everyone's taste and cheerful and cheesy dialogue grates like barbed wire across the bawbag.
- Combat is ludicrously difficult even once you've grasped some of the options, and there seems to be nowhere to ease you into it.
- Initial quests / themes are entirely unengaging.

Also downloaded Grey Goo , will report back.

JamieG

• forum hero
#663 Re: Games, games, games
May 04, 2015, 03:05:11 pm
A little update on what I've been playing.

Wolfenstein: New Order

I really enjoyed this. Actually quite a good story. Excellent shooter. Quite a tough challenge for me. Cool set pieces, but definitely not 'on rails'. Bit slow to get going but good once your up and running. Wife found it pretty obnovxious. It is violent and pretty much a constant Nazi murder fest, therefore a touch 1 dimensional, but it also seems pretty self aware of this and is quite tongue in cheek . . . .

Counterspy

Good, very pretty, little stealth game. I got it as part of ps plus and thought it was excellent. But it is short, so probably not worth loads of money.

Transistor

Enjoyed this one. Odd battle system, but good once you get the hang of it. Weird story, that i didn't really follow. Art style and music are beautiful. Again part of ps plus . . . so easy to enjoy 'free' games.

Currently playing Far Cry 4.

I think the story and main character are a bit lame. Very paint-by-numbers action story. But the world is great fun to mess around in. Taking over out-post, climbing towers, hunting wildlife. All good. A giant playground of fun. Just ignore the story (in my opinion). Also, too many collectibles!

Anyone else playing anything good. I fancy trying out bloodborne.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#664 Re: Games, games, games
May 04, 2015, 06:04:07 pm
WOFL:TNO was pretty good although not that memorable. Will still play WOFL:TOB esp at £15 price tag.

Recently played/tried:

Grey Goo.

Recent, modern, reasonably reviewed RTS. Basically if you want a re-skinned version of SC2 with annoying fog of war and clunky controls, then this is the game for you. As an added bonus it's very obviously purely a multiplayer game with a minimal SP campaign tagged on. No real intro, 3 short campaigns for each race, minimal extra theming, bland story. I got fed up after the 3rd mission which is supposedly extremely easy and was stupidly hard, gave up and uninstalled it. Waste of £30.

Evil Within: The Consequence DLC

More awful controls, terrible camera movement, naff boss fights, annoying death trap gameplay and incoherent plot/theme - and again with enough pacing, variety, shocks and scares and gory fucked up monsters to keep it entertaining despite all that. Part 1 was kinda bland and unengaging, Part 2 was worth getting with more variety, action, and interelation with the main story. I liked it despite myself.

Path Of Exile (replaying Acts 1 & 2)

In anticipation of Act 4 being released hopefully shortly, and leaving Act 3 for now to warm me into that. Entirely typical isometric ARPG with endless character / weapon customisation, an entirely forgettable and pointless story, pretty nice graphics for the genre, varied locations, and decent combat. Nothing special but as always well worth the price of fuck all fuck alls!

Just started:

Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea DLC Part 2

First one was okay but not as engaging as the main game and quite frustrating difficulty-wise. This already promises to be better with a fresh focus on stealth and better story-telling. The intro is pretty damn cool too.

Dawn Of War II

After getting bored and frustrated with Generic Goo, I thought I'd try something with a different spin on RTS - smaller, squad based, RPG elements, no base building, etc etc. Plus I'm liking the GW themes at the moment. DOW2 is taking a bit of getting used to though, awkward unit selection / camera movement controls (top tip for devs: if you're giving the player camera controls and mouse movement, don't put camera controls and unit commands on the opposite fucking sides of the keyboards and then don't give any rebinding options, I don't have a fucking third hand to use the QWERTY area, arrow keys and fucking mouse all at once) and not that immersive yet. But I expect I will get into it...

TheTwig

• stalker
#665 Re: Games, games, games
May 04, 2015, 08:43:07 pm
For anyone into their old school pre-diablo style RPG's I can highly recommend Pillars of Eternity, awesome game, nice plot, lots of customization and replayability.

on the 4X strategy side of things, Stardrive 2 is very good, and Galactic Civilizations 3 is AWESOME. They are just finishing up the beta (early access is available on steam, e.g. you pay for full game and can play the beta and get the full release, which should be May 15th or something).

Homeworld remastered collection (also on steam) is also very cool : )

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#666 Re: Games, games, games
May 04, 2015, 11:52:59 pm
I know it got highly rated, but I tried to see what Pillars Of Eternity offered over Path Of Exile, and all it seemed to be was the vicarious thrill of paying for it  :devangel:

JamieG

• forum hero
#667 Re: Games, games, games
May 05, 2015, 03:59:58 pm
Hi Fiend,

I guess it wasn't that memorable. But compared to some others played I actually finished it. I absolutely hated COD4: Modern Warfare when I tired that. I got only a bit into Metro Last Light, so compared to those two which other people love, I preferred Wolfenstein for sure.

I think i'll definitely check out The Old Blood too.

Cheers Jamie

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#668 Re: Games, games, games
May 06, 2015, 12:24:33 am
Okay, COD:MW, now we are talking seriously unmemorable! Well produced yes yes but enough to put me off the COD series for life.

I really liked Metro: LL, the graphics and theme and atmosphere were impressive. I've got 2033 Redux on that basis.

I've got TOB, well, in theory, 25 / 34 gig downloaded, sheesh!!

TheTwig

• stalker
#669 Re: Games, games, games
May 06, 2015, 03:40:27 am
Can't remember which one I played, think it was the 2033 but Metro was awesome. Somewhat change of track, but did anyone play Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? the geek in me loooves it, even though it's not a 'hard' game

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#670 Re: Games, games, games
May 06, 2015, 10:30:28 am
Yup, I probably posted a list of pros and cons a while back but the upshot was it was pretty fun: linear, on rails, previous generation graphics, endless 40K cliches, BUT on the other hand, nicely playable, a good romp through the 40k universe, and good visceral combat (tricky enough I thought.)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#671 Re: Games, games, games
May 08, 2015, 10:05:07 pm
Okay so basically TOB is a mission pack for TNO, mission pack price, mission pack length. But generally it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Exactly the same style as WOFL:TNO? - tick!

Yet more WOFL after dozens of reboots? - tick!

Flaming Nazi zombies dropping from the sky? TICK!

Good fun straight up shooter action in cool environments? - tick.

Still has a few niggles - masses of hitscan enemies, some artificial arenas, lots of invisible walls - but it seems well worth the pleasing budget release price. I think I'm enjoying it more than TNO, less farting around with the rebel base and NPCs, more exploding heads. Runs smooth and controls very smooth with nobob 1 (which fucks the scope though).

TheTwig

• stalker
#672 Re: Games, games, games
May 14, 2015, 08:39:05 am
About halfway through an absolutely amazing game called Ori and the Blind Forest. Super well made Platform game, I think it's on Steam among other places, and probably on the xbox.

Pretty much a showpiece in what you can do with art-driven story. There is hardly any dialogue in the game. Incredibly crafted levels, stunning visuals, some absolutely fiendish levels, some of which can really be quite unforgiving. There are plenty of vids on youtube to give you an idea what it's about, though they don't really do it justice. My only criticism is it's not always that obvious where to go, and if you miss something that isn't all that obvious then you can spend a hell of a long time banging your head against the wall to figure it out. Had to consult a guide on youtube twice. 9/10

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#673 Re: Games, games, games
May 14, 2015, 09:03:40 am
I got ori free with my Xbox 1 I bought the other week played it for 10mins or so and gave up as I did not get it. 2d side scrolling platformers just seem dated to me. It felt like it was just there to showcase what a Xbox 1 can do visually.

Could be fun to play with my nephew but I don't see what this brings to the table that sonic 2 didn't on the megadrive?
I guess if I played it more I could get into it more but with my other games being Dragon age inquisition, GTA 5, Neverwinter and halo 1-4 (which I have not even played yet. I doubt I will rush back to ori

TheTwig

• stalker
#674 Re: Games, games, games
May 14, 2015, 10:11:15 am
I got ori free with my Xbox 1 I bought the other week played it for 10mins or so and gave up as I did not get it. 2d side scrolling platformers just seem dated to me. It felt like it was just there to showcase what a Xbox 1 can do visually.

Could be fun to play with my nephew but I don't see what this brings to the table that sonic 2 didn't on the megadrive?
I guess if I played it more I could get into it more but with my other games being Dragon age inquisition, GTA 5, Neverwinter and halo 1-4 (which I have not even played yet. I doubt I will rush back to ori

I definitely think it's not a game for everyone, but if you are into those arcadey style things then I think it will fit. It definitely is a take it or leave it game. Apparantly it's similar to Metroid (on the ps2?) that was quite a succesful side-scroller type game (I don't know).

On a totally different note...Witcher 3 is coming out soon (dead excited). I've never played any of the previous ones, from the looks of things they are elder scrolls type games?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal