UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 273289 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#575 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 04:12:59 pm
I know he's played RDR to death, so will hopefully get that.

I liked Blazing Angels on the Wii, might like to get a similar old fighter plane sim.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#576 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 05:01:02 pm
I'm inheriting an XBOX 360 gratis from geeky brother-in-law as he is getting a new XBOX (One?). YYFY. Will need some advice on some good games shortly.

Jackaus, surely RDR is just GTA in different clothes, so both would be overkill?

- Halo 4 if want a decent multiplayer shooter, single player a bit shit
- Forza series for driving
- Bioshock (all of them)
- Dead Space 2, probably 3 (see above)
- Splinter Cell series for stealth stuff
- Portal 2 for something different and genius

A bit of a list here: http://www.videogamer.com/top-games/xbox360-games-all-time/

JackAus

• junky
#577 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 05:08:38 pm
Yeah Red Dead is basically GTA on a horse.

It actually is a really good game. Played it for ages on an old flatmate's 360. I'd still get both.
Portal 2 is awesome...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#578 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 07:03:45 pm
RDR goes on for a long time it seems, quite a lot of travel to and from missions.

A brief interlude of herding cattle stands out in the memory, and an unforgettable introduction to 'mexico'. But otherwise, despite the sandbox world, it seems a little guided, and two dimensional. More importantly it isnt as fun as going on a killing spree in GTA:SA

Still, the story arc is pretty neat, the characters are interesting, and the ending is unmissable!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#579 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 09:57:17 pm
I'm inheriting an XBOX 360 gratis from geeky brother-in-law as he is getting a new XBOX (One?). YYFY. Will need some advice on some good games shortly.

The Gears of War trilogy. The first two are a bit dated and worth playing for story, but the third one is excellent.

If you like a bit of punishment, get Dark Souls- its one of greatest games of this era.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#580 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 10:06:43 pm
GOW1 was vile, it is everything that is bad about modern gaming summed up in one stupid, crass, vacuous, horribly controlled, badly save-pointed mess. It is hard to believe that the company that made the then utterly delightful Unreal could churn out this drivel. Maybe 2 and 3 improved on the first one somewhat (it's hard to see how they could make it worse), but GOW 1 is the only game I've played for a few hours and then given up on.

Bubba's reccomendations seem on the money. DS2 vs DS3 is a tricky one, DS3 is definitely better but it helps having played an earlier one to immerse you in it.

Shooterwise, Deus Ex HR and Dishonoured would be the other top picks.

Edit. WTF, recalling GOW has traumatised my mind as well as my stomach. Skyrim, Skyrim, and more Skyrim. If you have any inkling towards fantasy games, you need it.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#581 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 10:15:00 pm
You seem to like RPG's - did you play my other recommendation?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#582 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 10:21:01 pm
Dark Souls.....nah. I have heard a lot of good things about the design of it, but just sounds too gruelling for me.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#583 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 10:35:07 pm
Its gruelling but fair. No button mashing but balanced, patient combat, beautiful open world/environments, great boss fights and very innovative MP/PVP. Its not as hard as people make out, once you get the gist of it, it just doesn't hold your hand at any stage. If you do decide to try it, get the PTD edition which includes the DLC. You also, need to download DSfix as the PC port wasn't that hot in some areas and this makes it look amazing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#584 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 11:05:26 pm
Cool, I'll see what I get "bundled" with it. More  Dead space sounds good another one I liked on the wii. Tbh I don't think I would bother with any  online multiplayer stuff.

Is a kinect worth getting? Looks like a bit of fun but not any serious games.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#585 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 11:35:00 pm
Tbh I don't think I would bother with any  online multiplayer stuff.
Why not? Playing with/against other humans is far more rewarding than playing with/against programmed AI...and I suspect it will remain so for quite a few years to come.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#586 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 12:25:09 am
Is a kinect worth getting? Looks like a bit of fun but not any serious games.

No - its a bit rubbish. Fun for kids but probably not worth it if you've already got a wii.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#587 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 06:18:21 am

As a very occasional gamer, I got an XBox a couple of years ago and not got many games...I'd recommend:

GTA IV (or V when it comes out)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Forza (I got 3 as 4 had only just come out)
Trials (prepare to launch your controller across the room in frustration though!)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#588 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 09:27:02 am
Burd has been playing the Batman Arkham stuff, they do look very good if you like Batman.

I much prefer single player to multiplayer by a very long way. Apart from geeking out in Starcraft2 with Brad ;)

Edit: Carnage I may yet try Dark Souls when I run out of stuff. Maybe.

JamieG

• forum hero
#589 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 10:06:12 am
I just finished playing Spec Ops: The Line and holy moly! That game is amazing. The story gets really dark and affecting. Not particularly long, but it packs quite a punch!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#590 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 10:36:53 am
Tbh I don't think I would bother with any  online multiplayer stuff.
Why not? Playing with/against other humans is far more rewarding than playing with/against programmed AI...and I suspect it will remain so for quite a few years to come.

Guess it would be fun playing against mates, but as I am generally shit at these type of games I have no real desire to get pwned by a spotty little adolescent in Nebraska.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#591 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2013, 10:50:32 am
It's not as bad as you think - the better MP games attempt to match players based upon skill level so you'll generally be playing other people as shit/good as you but with a bit of leeway to allow you and others to progress.

That said I've been matched against semi-pro teams occasionally and it's quite depressing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#592 Re: Games, games, games
September 17, 2013, 01:12:14 pm
Valve's thoughts on the future of gaming...

Discussion on Reddit

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#594 Re: Games, games, games
September 24, 2013, 03:33:16 pm
UK created in Minecraft by Ordnance Survey sumemr student

M Junior will be downloading this to his XBox as soon as I catch the little blighter, whether he wants to or not.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#595 Re: Games, games, games
September 24, 2013, 04:48:59 pm
So anyone else been enjoying GTA V then?

I got it last week and have barely scratched the surface - in fact only just prepping for the first heist. Despite the frustrations (changes to all the controls, especially after I've played GTA IV quite a bit recently, also the noddy "how to play the game" introductory non-missions) it is so good. The cityscapes are amazing, the car physics have been tweaked so it's so much easier to drive irresponsibly (especially compared with GTA IV's oversteer-o-physics).

Only done probably an hour or two of time on it but I have laughed out loud at some of the dialogue / radio chatter on numerous occasions...someone with a very good eye for satire has been working on that game!

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#596 Re: Games, games, games
September 24, 2013, 11:33:29 pm
Yeah - I've been giving this some love since release day and enjoying it alot. They've certainly put the humour back in it after GTA 4. Just driving around, esp when you upped your handling skills is amazing and whilst the slowdown stuff is a bit weird, it makes hammering along and cornering at top speed so much fun. Like you I've barely scratched the surface (I haven't even unlocked Trevor yet). I just keep getting sidetracked doing silly things and exploring. Sometimes I just crack up - like in the mountain area when I punched out a guy to steal his dirt bike and then got mauled by a cougar which came out of nowhere. Almost seemed like natural justice!! ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#597 Re: Games, games, games
September 25, 2013, 05:30:57 am
It's exceptional.  Agree that the driving is much better and the humour is superb.  Flying is also much better.

Not sure about it's replay value after the main missions are done but then there'll be DLC and multiplayer so will have to see what they bring.

Some of the heist missions could do with being more of a challenge but on the whole it's a very impressive game and a fitting title to wave goodbye to the 360/PS3 with.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#598 Re: Games, games, games
October 26, 2013, 02:18:31 pm
Cool, I'll see what I get "bundled" with it.

Ok, so got the xbox,
With it came;

Blur
Assassins creed double pack
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo Reach
Gears of War
gears of War 2
Sega rally
Split second velocity
Street fighter x tekken
Tekken 6
Marvel vs cap com 3
FIFA 13

So given my woefully little free time, Where to start? Not too bothered about the punch up games or FIFA. Quite keen to give AC, GoW or halo a go, but given I've never played any of these things before apart from a dabble in rogue trooper and a modern warfare or two don't want to play something that's going to be a bit too hard.

Also has anyone got any recommendations for flight sim type combat games. Enjoyed blazing angels on the Wii and looking for something similar

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#599 Re: Games, games, games
October 26, 2013, 03:05:53 pm
Ok, so got the xbox,
With it came;

Gears of War...

Take it back for a refund  :sick: >:( :ras: Don't play GOW it will put you off gaming, dire in every aspect, the only game I've played partway through and uninstalled because it was such rubbish. Played Halo 1 on the PC and it was as mundane and forgetable as shooters get, I can't imagine the sequels have got much better. Ass Creed / 2 are meant to be very good, diverse and entertaining.

If you can fork out on a few games, recent action game wise, Dishonoured for gameplay and style, Metro LL for atmosphere, Tomb Raider and Dead Space 3 for stylishness (TR is easy, DS is hard). Crysis 1 is great fun gameplay too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal