• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#550 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2013, 09:09:27 pm
Three games that look great and play okay to varying degrees:

Tomb Raider 2013
Excellent omnious tropical island graphics and atmosphere. Quite spectacular and pretty convincing. Some of the setpieces are really memorable and the characters are pretty decent, Lara especially comes across nicely. Control feel is fairly annoying and early Quicktime Events are game-spoiling rubbish. Actual combat is good fun, if easy, and jumping malarkey is usually fine.

Dead Space 3
Excellent gritty hardcore sci-fi graphics and atmosphere. Varied with good strong style and details. The different environments from previous DSes really shine, like the ice-planet and ship graveyard. Control system is just as awkward and counter-intuitive as DS2, QTEs are invariably awful and puzzles pointless. Actual gameplay is fine and new weapon customisation and enemies are pretty cool.

Metro Last Light
Excellent grimy decaying post-apocalypse graphics and atmosphere. Luxuriously bleak and well-detailed. Pretty much as convincing a post-apocalypse world as I've seen, both the ruined surface and in particularly the well-populated and characterful settlements. In one underground camp I found a drunk Russian singing folk songs at a pen of pigs before passing out and revealing his attire of bomber jacket, furry boots, and fake Adidas tracksuits, and thought this must actually be an interactive documentary. Controls and combat are both straightforward and good with very little bullshit getting in the way of honest FPS gameplay. Humans are a bit easy compared to monsters but all else progresses smoothly with some fine eerie moments too.

All recommended, MLL then TR then DS3.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#551 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2013, 11:44:28 pm
This will sell a fuck load of Xbox Ones.........

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#552 Re: Games, games, games
September 10, 2013, 09:39:57 am
More derivative and soulless MP bollox, stick some Mechs in COD/Halo/BF3 and this is what you get. Still that is right for the vacuous console kiddy market.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#553 Re: Games, games, games
September 10, 2013, 10:17:26 am
Sod all the first-person-shooter ting, this is out very shortly!

Durbs

• forum hero
#554 Re: Games, games, games
September 10, 2013, 10:28:19 am
Are there any fans of "proper" games?
Board/tile etc?

Personally I'm a bit of a Carcasonne addict, and Settlers of Catan too...

Zen

#555 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 11:11:29 am
Less than a week until GTA 5.

That is fucking all.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#556 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 11:32:14 am
Don't see much that corresponds to either grand theft AUTO nor gameplay in that trailer. Gameworld looks great but the game looks like a weird mish-mash of the sims along with an interactive movie where you only occasionally control your character in-between cutscenes and dialogue...

Hmmm, I might be a moaning arse about modern games, well aside from the ones I listed above. Someone post some PC action games I can get excited about.....

JamieG

• forum hero
#557 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 12:18:17 pm
Don't see much that corresponds to either grand theft AUTO nor gameplay in that trailer. Gameworld looks great but the game looks like a weird mish-mash of the sims along with an interactive movie where you only occasionally control your character in-between cutscenes and dialogue...

Hmmm, I might be a moaning arse about modern games, well aside from the ones I listed above. Someone post some PC action games I can get excited about.....

What about Total War: Rome II?

JackAus

• junky
#558 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 12:38:59 pm
GTA 5 will be good when its released on PC. Not interested in console...

I played Metro for about 5 minutes before uninstalling... Actually that happens with alot of games... Dishonoured, Dues Ex... etc etc...

Arma 3 will be good. Not played any of the alpha or beta but have Arma 2.

DayZ will be awesome when it comes out... Been playing the mod since it appeared. Never felt such elation AND fear from a game before. Fucking brilliant.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#559 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 04:43:50 pm
I played Metro for about 5 minutes before uninstalling... Actually that happens with alot of games... Dishonoured, Dues Ex... etc etc...

Why? Just curious...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#560 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 06:26:50 pm
More derivative and soulless MP bollox, stick some Mechs in COD/Halo/BF3 and this is what you get. Still that is right for the vacuous console kiddy market.
The vertical movement mechanics look great fun.  I'd reserve judgement until I'd played it to see how it hangs together, but I guess it's easier just to reel out tired anti-console prejudice. And how many really non-derivative shooters are there anyway?

Gameworld looks great but the game looks like a weird mish-mash of the sims along with an interactive movie where you only occasionally control your character in-between cutscenes and dialogue...
GTA really isn't like that at all but I don't think that video really shows that much gameplay - not sure how you've managed to avoid playing it tbh, it's been going 16 years.  It's super-fun but can get repetitive at times.  Best thing is the open world and the random messing about to be done in it.  It's certainly nothing whatsoever like the Sims.

FWIW I thought the latest Tomb Raider was a real dissapointment. Yeah, it's very pretty (played PC version with settings maxed) but the cliched characters, crap enemy AI, annoying "pr0no screaming" Lara and terrible control mechanics spoiled it.

I should probably play DS3 with the new Xbox coming out soon I'll save my pennies for that instead.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#561 Re: Games, games, games
September 11, 2013, 09:53:58 pm
but I guess it's easier just to reel out tired anti-console prejudice.
Damn right. Although it's as much prejudice against any dumbed down mass-marketting gaming. You should see how much I hate the COD series  :chair:

And how many really non-derivative shooters are there anyway?

That is a fair point </grudging> Dishonoured has been the closest recently - relatively fresh gameworld and genuinely playful gameplay mechanics. I dunno, you tell me, I'd be keen to play them.

It's certainly nothing whatsoever like the Sims.

I meant all the dicking around, playing tennis, customising tattooes, choosing which jeans your character should launder next. Hardly as HOOD as I expected.

BTW I am about to play Crysis 3 (derivative) then Bioshock Infinite (semi-derivative but at least a characterful setting). Then I don't know what  >:(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#562 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 05:27:37 am
I agree with you on COD and stopped playing it quite a few games back.  It's well presented but the combat is basically who starts shooting first wins; it's too "spray and pray" and offers no depth.  I'm still a Halo MP fan though.  Although I have a fairly powerful PC atm, I still prefer playing on the console; I don't really like mouse/keyboard.

I've got Dishonored but it didn't grab me after the first 10 minutes. On a new PC I also thought that the graphics were a bit dissapointing though I think it's a console port and the current consoles are very long in the tooth now.

All that stuff in GTA is extra and basically just stuff to spend your ill-gotten gains on.  If the MP implementation is better in GTAV it could be a real winner - the shot at the end of the trailer gives me hope.

I must get Crysis and you should enjoy Infiinite - not as good as the original imo but still a beautiful and fascinating game.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#563 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 10:45:08 am
Dishonoured is pretty previous-gen graphics, yes. But IMO the gameplay makes up for it, the "Blink" power is the most fun I've had in a gaming while.

Crysis 2 was not really an improvement over Crysis (another game with great gameplay IMO), a bit dumbed down and a bit linear, although it was good in it's own right and pretty spectacular later on, enough for me to get C3

I did try Far Cry 3 briefly but it was so exactly a blend of FC2 gameplay in a FC1/Cry setting that I couldn't bring myself to continue.

JackAus

• junky
#564 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 12:22:16 pm
Sorry, I didn't play Metro: Last Light, I played 2033.
Never a fan of the futuristic type games (if its got guns I like them to be real guns!). Also not a fan of fantasy games with powers etc. Downloaded Dishonoured on the pretence that it was a good stealth game (also like these except for splinter cell things....) but when the powers were introduced (right near the start from memory?) I tried to stick it out... Lasted maybe 2 hours before it annoyed me.

Far Cry 3 I quite liked. I played 1 and 2. Enjoyed 2 for the open world and gameplay (besides the stupid respawning of guards and the repetitiveness of go to this area, kill everyone, then do objectives...). 3, I finished and enjoyed. Think I got to about 90% before I got bored of having to grind to get the last 10%... Also one of the main reasons I'm not interested in RPGs... I hate the grind.

Hitman Absolution I quickly played through and finished the story but didn't do anything with finesse... Have started going through it to get Silent Assassin but haven't played in a couple of months. Just doesn't seem as engrossing as or have the replay-ability of Blood Money (I LOVED Blood Money...).

Assassins Creed 3 was very fun. Looking forward to Black Flag. Wasn't sure how well the Civil War era would work but I think they did a very good job. Replay-ability is very high on this one. Think I might have uninstalled it for space but remember being around 95% completion...)

On the COD type games. Hate them. Not interested in multiplayer (besides DayZ, and even then I avoid other players...). Played all of the single player campaigns though and quickly uninstalled afterwards (except for Black Ops 2, see future bit... Ain't gonna play it.). Of all of the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series', I enjoyed the story of Black Ops 1. Apart from the big twist at the end means almost 0% replay-ability... I did actually download it again to run through it. I do like that Treyarch (Black Ops makers) do actually try new things as opposed to the Infinity Ward (Modern Warfare makers) stick to the book and only the book method... But hey, it sells massive numbers and that's all that matters.

After all that, favourite games are still Commandos 2 (2001), Empire Earth (2001), Medal of Honour: Allied Assault (2002) and Age of Empires 2 (1999). I haven't tried the AOE 2 HD release yet but I really want to!!! :D

JackAus

• junky
#565 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 12:22:59 pm
Oh and Counter Strike.... Play that every now and then......

GTA 4 I didn't really enjoy. I just don't like any of them that are set in Liberty City. Such a rubbish restrictive map... Give me Vice City and San Andreas any day....

Last of Us I was looking forward to until it WASN'T released on PC. Dumbasses.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:30:18 pm by JackAus »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#566 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 12:44:46 pm
Fair enough. I'm not a fan of real guns. If it's got anything it's got to be futuristic or fantasy games with powers etc  :)

JackAus

• junky
#567 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 01:04:37 pm
Please tell me you don't play WoW.... :lol:

JamieG

• forum hero
#568 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 01:39:12 pm
Last of Us I was looking forward to until it WASN'T released on PC. Dumbasses.

Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, so Last of Us will never be on PC or Xbox. Like Halo will never be on PS3.

Fiend have you tried Borderlands 2. Not really a shooter fan, but got addicted to that one.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#569 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 01:49:42 pm
I finally got to finish The Last of Us the other day.

I borrowed my mates PS3 in return for the game (after I had finished it). It was well worth it!

Quite genuinely one of the best games I have ever played. The 10/10 ratings are well deserved.

The visuals are absolutely brilliant. A scene near the end with giraffes walking around the desolate remains of the Salt Lake City hospital courtyard, elicited the same response from me as it did from the characters. I distinctly remember catching my breath and saying 'Wooaoh!'.

The storytelling is some of the most engaging I have ever played through. The characterisation in particular was utterly compelling. Indeed, while watching the most powerful cutscenes, I had my heart in my mouth and I'll admit to more than a little wetness around my eyes.

These two things alone would be enough to make any game gain some plaudits, but the actual gameplay is varied and interesting as well!
While the enemies tend to be relatively similar throughout the game, the ways by which you interact with them changes with every encounter.
The lack of ammo means that you need to make a choice between stealth or run and gun. Making it out of an area sometimes took me several attempts, and often left me succeeding with dumb luck and a slither of health left.

I played on Hard, and I think that is worth doing - any more health and ammo would have made the game a little too easy imo, and subtracted from the feeling of helplessness in the face of everything you run into.

My game time was in the region of 20 hours. So if you are the type of person that would pay for the cinema, or a few pints down south, it really is worth its value in time.

5* - Absolutely Fantastic

JackAus

• junky
#570 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 01:53:04 pm
 :'( Rub it in!!
Really want to play it...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#571 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 02:11:20 pm
If it helps, I also pre-ordered and played Game Dev Tycoon on Steam... and it was not so great.

I played a little of the prequel (Game Dev Story) on my mates phone while waiting for our plane home, and it grabbed me as a really nice idea that had some scope for being good fun.

The sequel, however, seemed to remove some of the fun elements and replace them with what must have seemed like a cleaner and more streamlined approach. I think this took away a little from the gameplay though, and made it harder to understand what you were aiming for.

There is a tutorial of sorts, but it leaves much to the suspicion, and I think the game might be better off played with a notepad open on the desk, and possibly a guide open on another screen.
I mean, a Space Pirate Adventure on the N64 sounded pretty sweet to me so I sank around 300k into development...Game said no. Back around.

The 'menu' system was a little weak, and made finding the information you would like, a little more arduous than ideal.

That said, in much the same style as Civ 4, I played through the night and after 'one turn more' finally left me red eyed and broken, I went to bed at about 6am. The owner of an imaginary multi million, triple platinum selling development company that was working on building the worlds first MMO.

I think it probably says more about the game to say that I still haven't picked it back up...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#572 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 02:32:39 pm
God no, WOW is the COD of RPGs. I played Guild Wars instead.

Had a look at Borderlands 2 but didn;t like the graphics style unfortunately.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#573 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 03:49:41 pm
I'm inheriting an XBOX 360 gratis from geeky brother-in-law as he is getting a new XBOX (One?). YYFY. Will need some advice on some good games shortly.

JackAus

• junky
#574 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2013, 03:59:08 pm
Red Dead Redemption.
Trials Evolution.
GTA.

Thats about it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal