October 26, 2011, 11:16:27 am

Looks okay ;)

Big Dave

• menacing presence

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#477 Re: Games, games, games
November 03, 2011, 01:07:25 pm
I have been enjoying the new Forza. If you are into cars it is definitely worth a look.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#478 Re: Games, games, games
November 03, 2011, 05:53:40 pm
But no Porsche :(

Reckon GTA V will be an essential purchase.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#479 Re: Games, games, games
November 08, 2011, 01:32:28 pm
Has anyone picked up Modern Warfare? I have read some reviews and it is tempting me into buying the game and renewing my Xbox live subscription.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#480 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 09:39:56 am

Not bothering with MW3 - sounds very similar indeed to MW2 (no shit!) and I didn't think that MW2 was that good. 

Plattsy

• forum hero
#481 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 10:05:18 am
Word from my fanatical gamer colleague is it isn't as good as he expected. Graphics haven't moved on, if at all. Nowhere near as good as Battlefield3.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#482 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 11:27:35 am
The critically acclaimed COD4/MW1 was enough to put my off that series for life. Stylish and refined yes, but daft, incoherent, and totally on-rails war/weaponry pr0n for teenagers.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#483 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 11:47:01 am

Agree the COD campaign has always been way too corridored but my complaint is the uncompetitive multiplayer. 

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#484 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 09:46:10 pm
I'm on to Dark Souls at the moment. Amazing game but utterly punishing with a difficulty level to make most people destroy the controller and trade in the game within the first hour. However, once you persevere tho it gets so much better. No button mashing, much strategy, and ALOT of patience make this a very 'adult' game and its certainly not for everyone (esp anyone looking for a fun time!)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#485 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 09:56:21 pm
i too will not be selling my soul to mw3... even if the killstreaks are corrected to be gunfire only.....

i am however now resigned to spending the winter months trying to take on the powers of dragons...

I'm going elder scrolls skyrim on 11/11/11

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#486 Re: Games, games, games
November 09, 2011, 10:06:50 pm
I think you have a good point there fatty. Never played Morrowind nor Oblivion and don't give a bawbag about the background but Skyrimming does look rather cool....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#487 Re: Games, games, games
November 15, 2011, 12:34:00 pm
Interesting article here about the internet backlash against MW3 and game reviews in general:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/nov/10/modern-warfare-3-internet-hatred

joeisidle

• addict
#488 Re: Games, games, games
November 15, 2011, 01:24:57 pm
I'm sure lots of people on this thread are probably already familiar with them but these sites have some great video game reviews/discussions that are actually quite entertainingly presented;

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation
(funny if overly critical ranting mixed in with the odd solid gold recommendation)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits
(a more in depth discussion about the state of gaming as a whole, very nerdy but fascinating stuff if you're that way inclined)

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/3/
(the quick look videos on here are brilliant; two or more people sit down and play through different parts of a game for about 45 minutes or so, talking about their impressions of it. It's way more informative than most reviews I've seen and is a real help for anyone on a limited budget trying to work out which of the latest rush of Christmas releases to buy)

Also, Skyrim looks utterly epic

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#489 Re: Games, games, games
November 15, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
I got Skyrim on Sunday and first impressions are very positive although I've only played about four hoursn and barely got started.  Its certainly a big step forward from Oblivion in all areas.  I'm finding the interface much more intuitive and the combat is miles better.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#490 Re: Games, games, games
November 15, 2011, 03:32:01 pm
I agree.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#491 Re: Games, games, games
November 21, 2011, 10:26:29 am

14 hours in, I'm liking it, but...

<Fiend> yes
<Fiend> don't play skyrim
<Fiend> its the most generic and pointless bag of shit i've seen
<Fiend> just about the only redeeming feature is the dragons are kinda impressive, but then you have to kill them rather than befriend them and lead a massive dragon army to fuck the shit out of all the tedious human twats
<Fiend> i do like it
<Fiend> and it's a good game
<Fiend> but also shit at the same time
<Fiend> it's the definitive fantasy RPG etc etc.....and all that entails
<Fiend> if i hadn't played gothic 3 and guild wars i might be impressed with it

:blink:

fried

• forum hero
#492 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 11:29:25 am
I've decided as part of my current midlife crisis that I need a games console.

Wii looks like it doesn't have so much software.

PS3 looks expensive.

and the Xbox?

I'd like a descent driving game, some teenage weapon po rn. I don't want to play on-line, just while away some foggy Sunday winter afternoons.

My last console was PS2. Although I do own a DS.

Any suggestions for consoles and essential games?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#493 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 11:44:37 am
I plumped for a PS3 as its an excellent blu-ray player and will also act as a uPnP/DLNA client on the home network (allowing me to view/listen to all music/video/films that are on my comptuer/NAS/wife's laptop/visitor's laptops).  It also appealed as at the time I could install GNU/Linux on it, but a year or so later some wanker at Sony decided to remove that feature as part of a firmware "update", tossers.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#494 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 12:29:31 pm
I plumped for a PS3 as its an excellent blu-ray player and will also act as a uPnP/DLNA client on the home network (allowing me to view/listen to all music/video/films that are on my comptuer/NAS/wife's laptop/visitor's laptops).

Xbox is a uPnP Media Client too.
I have used it connect to the windows software that Sony used to recommend for media streaming to PS3 (can't remember its name). But if you have vista or newer then it will just connect to your windows media player shared content.

I don't have a PS3 but the differences between the 2 consoles for a normal games player are pretty small. The majority of titles are available on both, so it really only matters if you want a specific game such as Forza or Gran Torismo.

One thing that puts me off PS3 is I hear that to play many games you have to install them on to the HDD which can take over an hour in some cases, because BluRay aint that great at that kind of thing. On Xbox just chunk in the disc and play, but you can install it to HDD if you want to speed up load times.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#495 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 12:36:08 pm
I don't play masses of games (probably got about eight titles in total), but haven't had to install any of them.  But that obviously shouldn't be generalised beyond my sample and I'm sure others will know more/have different experiences.

Does Xbox play blu-ray discs?

fried

• forum hero
#496 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 12:38:48 pm
Excuse my ignorance, but if I were able to play films from my computer would a games console be able to read subtitle files. At the moment I have to watch subtitled films on my PC because my 'freebox' doesn't support them.

That would be really useful. I was still thinking that games consoles were just for playing games...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#497 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 12:41:35 pm
I use Handbrake and for subtitled films I've found I have to opt to force them to be burned into the film (which is actually fine as for foreign language films I'm never going to watch them without and for those with a smattering of foreign languages/subtitles they're only there when they would be anyway).

Opting to have them encoded and toggle when playing back when copied onto the PS3 never worked, and I expect you'd have even less luck turning them on/off when streaming over a home network.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#498 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 12:47:06 pm
Does Xbox play blu-ray discs?

I think the new Xbox plays HD DVDs. On the old one you had to buy an additional thingy for it.

the differences between the 2 consoles for a normal games player are pretty small. The majority of titles are available on both, so it really only matters if you want a specific game such as Forza or Gran Torismo.

:agree: The only thing I would add to this is that the PS3 controller is more conducive to playing beat-em ups but the Xbox controller is better for shooting games.  They are about the same for driving games.

If you do buy one I would recommend looking at a second hand one from Gamestation. Much cheaper and you still get a warranty so if it dies just take it back and they'll replace it with another one.

fried

• forum hero
#499 Re: Games, games, games
November 23, 2011, 01:06:11 pm
I use Handbrake

I'll check that out when i'm at home, it's blocked at work.

Thanks for all the other stuff, it'll give me something to think about this afternoon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal