UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1120526 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Perfect Days

Yakusho is in his 60s but still handsome, his clothes are supposed to be poor and basic but he looks like he’s modelling for Margaret Howell.

Having just come back from a couple of weeks in Japan, that seems entirely plausible - a huge proportion of the people I saw there were strikingly stylish.  Nothing fancy, just simple, classy, well-fitted clothes - it was like everyone was auditioning for a part in a classic Hollywood film opposite Cary Grant.  I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror).  It was a bit of culture shock when I transferred in Singapore to a flight back to Manchester...

Yossarian

• forum hero

American Fiction

Deservedly Oscar nominated. I'm still not entirely sure whether, as a fully paid up member of the white middle class, I'm actually the butt of the central joke but it had me fully engaged throughout and laughing out loud a lot. Jeffrey Wright is absolutely brilliant, loads of wonderful little moments of pure exasperation which he often communicates without saying a word.

Started this last night and it's absolutely wonderful...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Past Lives is on Netflix. Quiet, moving, great understated performances with sometimes fairly limited dialogue.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Perfect Days

Yakusho is in his 60s but still handsome, his clothes are supposed to be poor and basic but he looks like he’s modelling for Margaret Howell.

Having just come back from a couple of weeks in Japan, that seems entirely plausible - a huge proportion of the people I saw there were strikingly stylish.  Nothing fancy, just simple, classy, well-fitted clothes - it was like everyone was auditioning for a part in a classic Hollywood film opposite Cary Grant.  I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror).  It was a bit of culture shock when I transferred in Singapore to a flight back to Manchester...

* I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror)

For the avoidance of doubt (and so as not to bewilder anyone who has met me), I am not Japanese!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
That ryhmes with my experiences from fifteen years ago. I always felt a bit shabby for two years. After I left Japan, I stopped over in Stockholm and got a reverse culture chock when I thought that every Swedish man dressed like an unusually down-on-their luck homeless person.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

American Fiction

Deservedly Oscar nominated. I'm still not entirely sure whether, as a fully paid up member of the white middle class, I'm actually the butt of the central joke but it had me fully engaged throughout and laughing out loud a lot. Jeffrey Wright is absolutely brilliant, loads of wonderful little moments of pure exasperation which he often communicates without saying a word.

Started this last night and it's absolutely wonderful...

We watched it last weekend and loved it. Proper clever, very funny and tender too. Brilliant film.

We also watched BlackBerry (or whatever it’s called) about the the rise and fall of Research In Motion (RIM) and the device. Funny and a great story of perseverance and ultimately hubris and greed. Worthwhile.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I really enjoyed it but I'm the kind of person who enjoys a Japanese-German art-house movie.

Added to the list Duncan  :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal