UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2084013 times)

J.Kydd

• player
#6125 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 01, 2016, 09:23:23 am
£12.99 well spent  ;D

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6126 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 02:19:59 pm
Proper climbing...

dave

#6127 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 02:36:16 pm
Is there any driving to the crag footage?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6128 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 02:41:32 pm
Zero - also:

• no one changes shoes halfway through a problem
  • there is a distinct lack of link ups and eliminates
  • no Ben or Malcolm

andy popp

• forum hero
#6129 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 02:43:52 pm
Is there any driving to the crag footage?

There is a still shot of some people in a car. And a cartoon sequence of people in cars.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#6130 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:25:30 pm
Disclaimer: I haven't watched it, and from the trailers it seems absolutely fantastic.
Anyway, the last video seems to feature the so called "Magic Crashpads" scene: climber walks all alone towards the boulders at an obscure and esoteric location, where he finds no other climbers, but enough pads to cover a rough landing.
 ;D

i.munro

• junky
#6131 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:29:55 pm
They're not pads! They're geneticaly engineered crag dogs - coming soon to your local climbing store.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6132 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:32:38 pm
Disclaimer: I haven't watched it, and from the trailers it seems absolutely fantastic.
Anyway, the last video seems to feature the so called "Magic Crashpads" scene: climber walks all alone towards the boulders at an obscure and esoteric location, where he finds no other climbers, but enough pads to cover a rough landing.
 ;D

That's what I was thinking when Ricky Bell was on this big Fairhead arête, and they had his voice in the background going on about how it was such a brilliant wold place and you felt isolated when you were down there. The pad stack was about 10 thick. 10 Dominators thick. Biggest stack I've ever seen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6133 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:34:07 pm
Shouldn't there a k in the middle, "ch" - is a ch as in cherry.

Anyway - that looks like a right grind. Good effort.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#6134 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:35:53 pm
"Look it's Super Hans"- my girlfriend on seeing old photo of Al Manson.  :lol:

I smiled at the bit when Ricky Bell says something like "plus, bouldering's great 'cos you can go out on your own and do it". Cut straight to him bouldering above ~9 pads.

Fuck, Will beat me to it.

climber walks all alone towards the boulders at an obscure and esoteric location,

Walking to the crag is the new driving to the crag. We've the manufacturers of handheld gimbal-based stabilisers to thank for that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:48:25 pm by cheque »

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#6135 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 03:47:24 pm
I smiled at the bit when Ricky Bell says something like "plus, bouldering's great 'cos you can go out on your own and do it". Cut straight to him bouldering above ~9 pads.

Fuck, Will beat me to it.

climber walks all alone towards the boulders at an obscure and esoteric location,

Walking to the crag is the new driving to the crag. We've the manufacturers of handheld gimbal-based stabilisers to thank for that.

You mean go-pros strapped to a chickens head

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#6136 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 02, 2016, 05:46:07 pm

Well he doesn't make that look very hard!

Fuck me. He paths that.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#6137 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 03, 2016, 10:46:41 am
Bought blocheads. Thought it was good, but the narrator's voice grated on me and sounded very trans world sports.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#6138 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 03, 2016, 11:34:23 am
Yes! Trans world sports! Knew it reminded me of something. Also, I wasn't that impressed I'm sorry to say.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#6139 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 03, 2016, 11:58:18 am
Yes! Trans world sports! Knew it reminded me of something. Also, I wasn't that impressed I'm sorry to say.

and master chef. Don't forget master chef

ducko

• forum abuser
#6140 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 03, 2016, 11:58:42 am
agree'd, some nice looking blocs but as a whole it didn't leave me psyched ive seen much better free videos online.

Danny

• junky
#6141 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 03, 2016, 07:59:10 pm
 ;D

That's what I was thinking when Ricky Bell was on this big Fairhead arête, and they had his voice in the background going on about how it was such a brilliant wold place and you felt isolated when you were down there. The pad stack was about 10 thick. 10 Dominators thick. Biggest stack I've ever seen.

I can see why you'd think that. But we have a semi-communal pad stash that we move around down there. Best bouldering venue on these islands | worst landings on these islands.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#6142 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 04, 2016, 01:08:52 pm

Agree entirely, I was thinking 'country file' but I see the transworld sport thing. In the end I kind of wondered who the intended audience was...I enjoyed the bouldering bits and the bouldering talky bits, the rest left me bored and faintly embarrassed.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#6143 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 04, 2016, 02:37:44 pm

Agree entirely, I was thinking 'country file' but I see the transworld sport thing. In the end I kind of wondered who the intended audience was...I enjoyed the bouldering bits and the bouldering talky bits, the rest left me bored and faintly embarrassed.

Thinking a bit more about this I realise, I was wrong, it's not a bad film at all. It's a documentary and as such its not a bad one. I'm just old and cynical and not easily impressed.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#6144 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 04, 2016, 10:22:04 pm
I was really dissapointed with Blocheads. If it had been 30 mins long it would probably have been ok, but at an hour it was flabby, disjointed and repetative.
I feel bad saying that as Rman is on the credits. But I really thought it was surprisingly rubbish.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#6145 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 05, 2016, 12:23:24 pm
Saw Blocheads at the weekend: was initially very excited to see it as I had really enjoyed the trailer for it.
Unfortunately I have to say I was pretty disappointed, thought it was a great idea but it just didn't work for me. I found the "trans-world sport" commentator strange and I really didn't know who the film was aimed. If aimed at climbers then it really didn't need the cheesy female commentator voice which tried to "explain" things to non-climbers.
There were some interesting bits. I really liked the Burnley Boulder Bash, Jerry Peel and Jerry Moffat stuff and Dan Varian came across well. Just thought there was so much more bouldering history to be looked at and also I thought it could have looked at the development of North Wales bouldering. To be fair I guess this would have made it a fairly lengthy film.
I also thought that the blocheads extras were almost as good as the film!

Dave

36chambers

• forum hero
#6146 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 05, 2016, 06:41:19 pm
slightly :offtopic:

But at 13:48 in Blocheads, it shows Dan climbing Hobbie Noble for approximately 2 seconds. I was just wondering in any other footage of this problem has surfaced anywhere? After seeing it flicker for those precious seconds, I was half expecting it to be the climax of the film, but alas.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6147 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 06, 2016, 11:08:21 am
Watched Blocheads at the weekend and I enjoyed it, the narrator's voice was really weird so I didn't get that bit but the climbing and locations were filmed beautifully in my opinion. Fairhead looked stunning in particular. I think we're a bit spoilt with drone footage these days and give-a-fuck-meters are set too high because of it, in this case I thought the drone shots were really good and done well. I also laughed quite a bit which is a nice change from more serious films (Varian nailing himself multiple times in the same spot, great timing)

So I'd recommend it, I was drunk though.

lemony

• player
#6148 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 06, 2016, 11:58:13 am
I enjoyed Blocheads... a bit. Unfortunately all the footage I was most interested in flashed up on the screen for 5 seconds in between segments. The actual coverage of the problems it did show was a bit emotionless and anti-climatic.

The whole thing seemed a bit flat.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#6149 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 06, 2016, 08:40:35 pm
The voiceover appears to have been done by an American rent-a-voice called Sheila Hart. https://www.voices.com/people/shetalks
...which explains the very hard to place accent.
A strange choice of narrator for a film about a niche counter culture. Like Davo said, makes you wonder who it's aimed at.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal