UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2097695 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6150 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 09:43:11 am
Well that has piqued my interest

Sheila Hart: Accents

Australian, British, North American, Spanish, US New York (New Jersey, Bronx, Brooklyn), US South (Deep South, Dixie, Delta), US Upper Midwest (Fargo, Minnesota)

I'm hoping it's not in 'British', when 'Bronx', 'Fargo' and 'Dixie' were available.

dave

#6151 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 09:50:16 am
I haven't seen Blockheads*, but given the option you've got to take Bronx haven't you? I'd love to hear a climbing vid voiced over by Vic Reeves as Kinky John, or the Hart To Hart butler "it was moider".

*Al Lee must have been gutted when all the promo material was delivered with the wrong spelling.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#6152 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 10:03:27 am
I've not seen it yet but is it too late to request a DVD extra-style cut with an updated commentary?

Could add a "fuhgeddabouddit" when the dab mentioned in the Bring Out Your Dabs thread happens.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6153 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 10:17:18 am
I'd be keen for a "I hid my pistole in my tooopperware" style Vic Reeves voiceover. My Gaaaahd.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6154 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 11:01:06 am
Shame you can't select voiceovers - I'd like Mr Gumby from Monty Python, or Bob Fleming from the Fast Show.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6155 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 11:05:10 am
John Redhead.

Danny

• junky
#6156 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 11:58:24 am
The voiceover appears to have been done by an American rent-a-voice called Sheila Hart. https://www.voices.com/people/shetalks
...which explains the very hard to place accent.
A strange choice of narrator for a film about a niche counter culture. Like Davo said, makes you wonder who it's aimed at.

I can only assume the narration was a failed attempt at irony. Other than that I quite liked it, b/c: (i) I was happy to see a little more than just bouldering pr0n, which can be good, but it's hardly like there isn't a stack of online free stuff filling that niche; (ii) Fair Head gets a well deserved spotlight; (iii) Peak grit coverage is almost non-existent. (Yes, it is great, but good to see venues like Tintagel, Bonehill, Dove etc.)   

andy popp

• forum hero
#6157 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2016, 12:45:21 pm
I'm just pleased to see my stag do finally accorded its rightful status as a seminal moment in the history of competition bouldering.

petejh

• forum hero
#6158 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 09, 2016, 09:51:14 pm
The voiceover appears to have been done by an American rent-a-voice called Sheila Hart. https://www.voices.com/people/shetalks
...which explains the very hard to place accent.
A strange choice of narrator for a film about a niche counter culture. Like Davo said, makes you wonder who it's aimed at.

I can only assume the narration was a failed attempt at irony. Other than that I quite liked it, b/c: (i) I was happy to see a little more than just bouldering pr0n, which can be good, but it's hardly like there isn't a stack of online free stuff filling that niche; (ii) Fair Head gets a well deserved spotlight; (iii) Peak grit coverage is almost non-existent. (Yes, it is great, but good to see venues like Tintagel, Bonehill, Dove etc.)

Regards the north Wales section of Blocheads, bearing in mind the literally hundreds of great FA's that have been/still are getting done almost weekly by a talented and psyched bunch over the last few years in the lead-up to the new guide, the n.Wales section of the film is an embarrassment and somewhat typical of how media often fails to accurately represent a climbing scene.
Robins, Nodder, Doyle and a scene of other prolific and talented locals. We could have had amazing footage of Snapdragon, Isles of Wonder and many other UK classics and recent Welsh FAs in great locations. Instead, bar for some very brief clips of Crafnant, the film-maker almost exclusively concentrates on someone not climbing something fairly shit which is too hard for him and that may never have been done. A bizarre choice of person and problem. Although very apt that it shows him not climbing something.

Danny

• junky
#6159 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 10, 2016, 11:06:48 am
Well, it was fairly asymmetric tour of UK venues and protagonists. I'm not sure it should've tried to be otherwise. Though a section on someone not doing a possibly non existent problem seems an odd thing to have made the cut, I grant you. Despite my previous comment about the Peak, the footage of Ned Zep was perhaps the best of the lot—I would've traded those sections.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6160 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 13, 2016, 11:52:44 am
Enjoyed this... North Wales meets Hoya Moros?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6161 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 19, 2016, 09:45:42 am

monkey boy

• forum hero
#6162 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 20, 2016, 08:53:58 am

Dense said he liked this one so thought it might warrant this thread!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#6163 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 20, 2016, 09:43:47 am
Nice - strong scenes.

Am I allowed to critique? I often think with your vids that it would be nice to hear some of the sounds of the climber, the music kind of makes me feel a bit detached from the events. I think there was a previous one with Mina and the last problem had the live audio and it was the best bit and really allowed me to connect with Mina's attempts on the problem.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6164 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 20, 2016, 02:15:03 pm
Nice - strong scenes.

Am I allowed to critique? I often think with your vids that it would be nice to hear some of the sounds of the climber, the music kind of makes me feel a bit detached from the events. I think there was a previous one with Mina and the last problem had the live audio and it was the best bit and really allowed me to connect with Mina's attempts on the problem.

I.e. Dave shouting and swearing  :thumbsup:

monkey boy

• forum hero
#6165 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 20, 2016, 08:52:32 pm
Nice - strong scenes.

Agreed! I sometimes do that, like in the Bewilderness video etc. I was going to experiment with no music when I go to Font to see if that develops a nice atmosphere i.e. birds and cursing! We'll see!

You got a bit of that on Ammagamma and the others I didn't actually whoop, I don't think.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6166 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 21, 2016, 01:19:29 pm
Some venues can be pretty quiet but I found the soundscape in the Grampians amazing, it'd be nice to hear it. Herzog really nails it in the Kachoong sequence (single shot!!!) in Scream of Stone.

user deactivated

#6167 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 21, 2016, 03:30:55 pm
That's a pretty amazing sound JB! The birdsong at the Arapalies camp ground made me miss the sounds of the British countryside. My Aussie GF at the time said the opposite - the noise of the Kookaburras and Galahs was special to her. Guess it shows how evocative and important sound is. Gonna have to watch that Herzog movie now haha

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6168 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 21, 2016, 03:57:49 pm
I was really smitten by the carolling of the Australian Magpie, made lying awake in the early hours with jet lag a real treat. Will be taking some recording kit next time...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6169 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 21, 2016, 05:42:32 pm
Nice - strong scenes.

Agreed! I sometimes do that, like in the Bewilderness video etc. I was going to experiment with no music when I go to Font to see if that develops a nice atmosphere i.e. birds and cursing! We'll see!

You got a bit of that on Ammagamma and the others I didn't actually whoop, I don't think.

maybe an external microphone like a zoom or something on a tripod/ground near the climbing

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#6170 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
January 01, 2017, 07:03:54 pm

What a great film, climbing isn't just about the rock jocks.
Happy New Year to everybody.  :2thumbsup:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#6171 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
January 02, 2017, 10:13:47 am

What a great film, climbing isn't just about the rock jocks.
Happy New Year to everybody.  :2thumbsup:
Really really loved that one. Unglaubliche motivation!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6172 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
January 02, 2017, 03:25:45 pm
excellent!

:bow:

monkey boy

• forum hero
#6173 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
January 03, 2017, 08:09:42 am

Last one from our trip down under in the summer. This one goes in here just for the standard of each problem. Flock Hill is immense!

haydn jones

• forum hero
#6174 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
January 03, 2017, 11:12:38 am
Excellent visuals, excellent problems.

But

Its as james said last time I too feel detatched from the climber whilst watching your videos. I almost feel as though I'm  watching a music video rather a climbing video. Best part again was when you were grunting away. I can't  speak for others but i feel the failing to climb a problem is as important a part of the climb as the final success.  And definitely real life audio too. Without it your audio sense is detatched from the visual.

Anyway thats just my thought.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal