UKBouldering.com

Devon and Cornwall Bouldering (Read 23275 times)

wintermute

• menacing presence
#25 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 15, 2013, 01:50:36 pm
Both Northcott and Hartland are nice beaches. Pebbles rather than sand for the most part, but with excellent rock pooling potential.

Hartland also has a pub, ice cream shop (might be close this time of year) and tat shop.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
#26 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 15, 2013, 09:35:47 pm
On a related note, which (if either) is better for surfing, Hartland or Northcott?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 15, 2013, 10:17:42 pm
Northcott is a known spot, although I've never surfed it, only Sandymouth and Bude . I've never heard of anyone surfing at Hartland (unless it's a well kept secret!).

granticus

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 16, 2013, 05:18:35 pm
You can surf at Hartland, it's not that well kept a secret, there is spot nearby which is much more coveted although still not a well kept secret.  The nearby spot (clue: there's a route there called Pressure Drop) is much more of a local classic and is very rocky.  Hartland (the beach to north of the pub) can be surfed around low tide, there are submerged rocks etc.. to contend with mainly a right hander, sketchy entry and exits are likely and it really isn' t that great..

Northcott low to mid tide if you want to avoid rocks, best in calm winds and can be very good (fast and dumping) at low tide. 

It's all relative and down to your personal tastes but I would say Northcott is better if you get it in the right conditions.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 18, 2013, 10:34:02 pm
Off to Cornish north coast next week for a family holiday staying just near tintagel. ... After some recomendation of good areas  ...

Il Duce?  :whistle:

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#30 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
October 19, 2013, 09:11:44 am
Off to Cornish north coast next week for a family holiday staying just near tintagel. ... After some recomendation of good areas  ...

Il Duce?  :whistle:

Saaaaannnnnndddddddbbbbbbbaaaaaaaggggggggg

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#31 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 04, 2014, 12:08:58 am
I'm adding to this rather than starting afresh.
I'm off to house sit for a friend in Totnes for a week later in the month so will have a chance to project a few things on Dartmoor rather than a day here and there travelling from Somerset. I've been to a lot of places on the moor but would welcome some decent recommendations for things to get stuck into at V6 (I've done a fair few V5's and the odd V7). I do have my eye on things like dancing queen and foals chopper at saddle tor but will see how I'm going before I get going on those.
Recommendations or willing climbing partners in the area gratefully received!

ben

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 10, 2014, 10:12:21 am
The ignominiously (?) named Problem 6 at Saddle Tor is really good, described as eliminate but don't think it is really..
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=169953

Easdon Arete at Easdon is another good tick, you could go for the Easdon triple crown, slab, crack and arete

The Wave @BoneCuvier

If you get over to the west side and go to Combshead then definitely Proof of Concept, Hanging Flake (and the 7a slab to its R) plus there's a couple of good short V6's.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#33 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 10, 2014, 10:05:27 pm
Hey thanks for the recommendations. Never been to Easdon so interested in trying that for sure, I've only ever heard of the atete so would like to try other probs there.. Saddle Tor is on the list too.
Re the others, I've done a lot at Combeshead, although not the slab mentioned and did finally do The Wave after many years of frustration!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:30:36 pm by shurt »

wintermute

• menacing presence
#34 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 14, 2014, 07:57:32 am
Slotted Wall in Bovey woods is mooted as being the best of its grade down that way, though I've not actually tried it.

andyh

• stalker
#35 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 17, 2014, 04:13:46 pm
I'd already started a new thread but this seems like a good place to ask the question...

Does anyone know where I can get a topo for this place or is the ukc logbook the only source of info?

Thanks

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#36 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 17, 2014, 04:45:41 pm
I'd already started a new thread but this seems like a good place to ask the question...

Does anyone know where I can get a topo for this place or is the ukc logbook the only source of info?

Thanks

Seen this?
http://shaptor.wikifoundrymobile.com/m/page/Recent+Problems

andyh

• stalker
#37 Re: Devon and Cornwall Bouldering
April 17, 2014, 05:49:15 pm
Whoops, should have specified I was looking for a topo for Breakwater Beach, Brixham

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal