UKBouldering.com

Optimum weather for Pill Box wall?? (Read 2089 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Optimum weather for Pill Box wall??
May 26, 2019, 08:52:20 am
Yeah I know, dew point, rising temp, falling cloud, condensation coefficients, inverse moisture linearity etc etc.

But as a rough guide, what forecast should I be looking for to get best connies on that area of Marine Drive??

I'm guessing a N / NE-erly that's fairly cool, and low humidity, preferably with evening sun? I was there with a NWerly and medium humidity and the temps were good and although it wasn't condensed it was a bit greasier than idea.

Cheers pete ;)

petejh

• forum hero
Low tourist-turd level, low gravity, strong northerly finger strength, high pain threshold and low aesthetic taste.

(it should be good this afternoon - - if you want to get geeky you can but bit of wind and low humidity is about it really, dont want it too cold obvs as its an exposed part of the orme.)

edit - and yes I suppose the more easterly the wind the less moisture there will be in the air. But wind direction isn't essential for pillbox ime, just low humidity. Doylo probably has an in-built conditions antennae for the 'box.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:23:00 am by petejh »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Cheers boss. There was quite a hazy horizon later on in the day, could see the greyness over the wind farm, so I assume that was somewhat detrimental.

BTW, I might have said it before, but thanks and well done on the guidebook, now I'm back out there using it, it's genuinely good and inspiring. Even though you're quite stingy with the stars on Marine Drive....I was doing no star routes that would be 2 stars on Peak Lime! Still, that means there's more to do there I guess....

petejh

• forum hero
Two stars on peak lime is hardly an aspirational benchmark though.. (and all the bolts are in the wrong places, says Shark)   :ras:

Lots of people mention the star system.. a lot of folk think it’s good and many think it’s too stingy. I think as long as you read and absorb the criteria in the intro it works well - exceptional route in:
National area,
North Wales area,
Guidebook area.

When we redo the guide it might change to:
North wales area
Guidebook area
Crag area

But seeing as ‘North Wales area’ three star is probably about the same as saying ‘national area’ three star I can’t see it making that much difference. People want easy stimulation and things dumbed down (not you Matt), not my style sorry.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:02:44 am by petejh »

petejh

• forum hero
..though we definitely messed up giving Bransby’s route ‘Beauty’ on the Diamond only one star! Probably should be three like most routes there.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
It's all good. I get that you're trying to spread the load too.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I think stingy is best with stars. I've seen newer guidebooks increase stars on routes compared to the last edition and I think it's a bad trend. I always thought 3 stars was a nationally outstanding route compared with all other routes in the country. The Wye Valley is a really good example of this. It's a mediocre area at best and routes get loads of stars and they just aren't that good compared with climbing in the rest of the country.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal