UKBouldering.com

tegness quarry arete (Read 2391 times)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
tegness quarry arete
March 18, 2005, 06:46:09 pm
notice someone has chopped down the oak tree infront of the arete at tegness quarry - shame about this, especially as the line isn't as good as it looks, and the tree was a lot better

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#2 tegness quarry arete
March 18, 2005, 07:51:45 pm
thats the one

clm

• forum hero
#3 tegness quarry arete
March 19, 2005, 08:48:32 am
unacceptable

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#4 tegness quarry arete
March 19, 2005, 11:48:17 am
What's the rule with trees? Don't you officially have to get permission from the council for tree felling? And how do they decide? Perhaps this is just a personal bias, but I'd always feel a bit sad if an oak tree got chopped down, more than for one of those skinny trees that grow everywhere. (Showing lack of tree-wisdom here).

As a general rule I reckon it's ok to chop vegetation, but trees should be left alone, especially big ole oak trees, unless there's a really good case for chopping em - am I right in thinking tree thinnning can be really helpful not just for climbers but for the trees themselves?

dave

#5 tegness quarry arete
March 19, 2005, 08:54:20 pm
dunno whats worse, cutting down a tree for some shite, or getting photos taken in just about the most unphotogenic outfit ever. Tis a crime.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#6 tegness quarry arete
March 21, 2005, 08:26:08 am
Don't you officially have to get permission from the council for tree felling?

If you want to cut a tree down and its over a certain size you have to go the council and get a council approved tree surgeon to come along and do the job, especially if the tree roots are starting to cause structural damage to footpaths and roads, and then you have to pay the council, apparently.
I suppose in this case you'd have to speak to the land owner first.
To further answer your question tree thinning will help tree because your reducing competition for sunlight, nutrients provided by the soil I should think.
Probably works a bit like shooting deer and stuff, they die quickly instead of starving to death because there's now food.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#7 tegness quarry arete
March 21, 2005, 08:33:29 am
Probably works a bit like shooting deer and stuff, they die quickly instead of starving to death because there's now food.

That should actually read there's no food.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal