UKBouldering.com

The Power Of Climbing (Read 32662 times)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#25 The Power Of Climbing
February 21, 2005, 11:19:13 am
a straighter nose and nice teeth having taken advantage of the old 'nip 'n tuck'

:lol:
I saw him in the Kashmir when he was over but did not notice the nose job :lol:
thats fucking top

clm

• forum hero
#26 The Power Of Climbing
February 21, 2005, 07:22:14 pm
Cause the same thing's sort of happened to me over the past few months, climbing just isn't a big priority like it used to (no matter how much i would like it to be) and it's sad but that's life i guess.

tired old burnt out husk of  a boulder....at 17!!! pul yersel together man.  dense still bears down and hes forty or sumthin

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#27 The Power Of Climbing
February 21, 2005, 08:16:14 pm
Dont think Dense is forty................just acts  and looks like it, I thank you

clm

• forum hero
#28 The Power Of Climbing
February 21, 2005, 08:22:41 pm
1.  is there any truth in the rumour that pollit went to oz to get into p o r n.
2.  wouldnt an "after they were famous" photo thread be pretty good.  aka look at the belly on that!!

tc

• junky
#29 The Power Of Climbing
February 21, 2005, 08:27:18 pm
Quote from: "fatboySlimfast"
Dont think Dense is forty................just acts  and looks like it, I thank you

Oh, yeah? And how do you define acting forty, you ageist young pup  :lol:  (sips Horlicks, dribbles, adjusts blanket, turns up hearing aid...)

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#30 The Power Of Climbing
February 22, 2005, 09:22:10 am
Its a bit rich me saying anything about age cos its only 2 years for my big 40!!!!

webbo

• forum hero
#31 The Power Of Climbing
February 23, 2005, 01:54:19 pm
Quote from: "tc"

Oh, yeah? And how do you define acting forty, you ageist young pup  :lol:  (sips Horlicks, dribbles, adjusts blanket, turns up hearing aid...)

going to a mobile disco and enjoying it.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#32 The Power Of Climbing
February 23, 2005, 04:40:56 pm
heres a good one Malc taylor
went for a job interview in Cheltnham to do with 'Language translation' early 90's......got the job and was never seen again.The word on the scene at the time was that it was GCHQ(which is in cheltnham cos ive worked on it!) and that he essentially became a spy....laughable but he did dissapear at the time

There's more than a few climbers at GCHQ and when doing some Home Office research I bumped into someone in London who looked a little shocked and embarrassed to be recognised, he gave the game away by starting the 'what you too' line of conversation before I informed him of the reason for my presence in the office.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#33 The Power Of Climbing
February 23, 2005, 06:14:11 pm
heres a good one Malc taylor
went for a job interview in Cheltnham to do with 'Language translation' early 90's......got the job and was never seen again.The word on the scene at the time was that it was GCHQ(which is in cheltnham cos ive worked on it!) and that he essentially became a spy....laughable but he did dissapear at the time

You sure this isn't him? Then again, whose seen Big Ron around recently?? [web]http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~mjt/[/web]

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#34 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 01:40:15 am
Jasper Sharpe - thought he'd given it all up to become a smack-head myself - was often seen caned in the Broadie and went out with that insane Ruth lass who we used to know.

Ha ha ha! I was searching for stuff about TPOC and found this. Made me think a bit.....

Cheers Bubbs. I can see why the asumption may have been made but I was always a recreational drugs man. No downers.  :dance1:

Ruth? Yes she was insane. I'd been dealing with much worse before her though so to me she was ok at the time........

4 more years of mentalism and then I rejoined the human race. It's boring in some ways (taking responsibility for ones actions, sleeping between friday and monday, giving a fuck in general) but in others (my son, climbing again, fantastic wife, nice house etc) it's fucking great.

Party wise I've done it, all of it and then some and it's behind me now.

Look ing back at when I stopped climbing I think if you look at the boys from my generation who were supremely talented and should have gone on to push standards forward it's interesting that NOBODY did. There were four. Stuart, Malcolm, Ian and Me. Malcolm made his mark with doing Hubble when he did (and obviously bouldering hard) but we felt then that that was just the start. I'd done all the moves on Hubble in one session and got decent links on it as had Stuart. We knew that with training 8c+ was not that hard and that we could push things forward based on power rather than wank stamina routes.

So why didn't it work out like that?

In a word I reckon. Money.

Needing it, wanting it or just plain having to go out and earn it has restricted the best climbers of my generation from reaching their potential. Particularly Malcolm and to a certain extent myself.

In a way it is now possible for British climbers to make a living from climbing but it's a hard grind of lectures, coaching (oh god no "this is how you warm up" I could not do it!), competitions and wank show ponying for the sponsors just to scrape a living. Fair play to those who do it but that would never have been for me just so I could call myself a "Pro Climber".

So perhaps we should have been able to just continue. You can't expect something for nothing. Appreciate the fact that you can't make a living from JUST being good at a minority sport. But the fact is that we all thought that the money was there to be earned if we just climbed hard enough and at 18 when all you want to do is climb for the rest of your life and you see Jerry driving a Porsche (and you've just burned him off at The Tor) you assume it will come. Life's simple at 18.

For me the difficulty was made worse by my own error of starting a relationship with an evil using witch who almost ruined my life. This obviously didn't contribute positively to my climbing but I still see it as secondary to the lack of support given to young climbers who were obviosly talented when compared to the amount of money at the time that was lavished on fat liars etc.........

I digress and I've already got myself in enough trouble with Mrs Sharpe for being up this late drinking so I'll leave this pissed up diatribe unfinished for your amusement.

:pissed: :pissed: :oops: :guilty: :guilty:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#35 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 02:20:25 am

Cheers Bubbs. I can see why the asumption may have been made but I was always a recreational drugs man. No downers.  :dance1:

Ruth? Yes she was insane. I'd been dealing with much worse before her though so to me she was ok at the time........

Akkk, my own words come back to embarrass me :lol:

The smackhead thing was actually a rumour at the time on a "different forum" and i cheaply recycled it here. Sorry. I think i did see you caned in the Broadie from time to time but i was in no better state myself ;)

Ruth was certainly a bit mad, but i really liked her. I know she had had some very bad things in her life and was dealing with them. The problem with hanging out with her was that once she was pissed she turned a little uncontrollable....i was thinking the other day about what she was up to these days - do you have any idea?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#36 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 03:51:03 am
h u b r i s.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#37 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 09:11:24 am
i was thinking the other day about what she was up to these days - do you have any idea?

living, or was living with Graeme Smith in Holmfirth... I know they've got a daughter.. but haven't spoken to Graeme (or Ruth) in about four years..

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#38 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 09:19:14 am
Good honest reflective post there Jasper.  Me and Gav Ellis were talking the other day about the fact it was good seeing you down at the works and climbing again, with wife and kids etc.

nik at work

• forum hero
#39 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 09:21:56 am
Doug Hall lives on the isle of man. He gave up climbing and started windsurfing but is now climbing again. Has done several new routes at E5+ on the island. Climbed with him a couple of times, really nice guy, still no discernable dress sense though. And thats saying something coming from me.....

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#40 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 16, 2008, 10:49:27 am

Mick Lovatt. Big man in Preston council now, still climbing every weekend with the odd F8.
Chris Gore. Lives in the Lakes, gave up climbing after an elbow op. Concentrates on triathlons now.
John Dunne. Owns a big climbing wall in Manc. Has been spotted at Kilnsey falling in the stream and lapping Comedy.
Tony Mitchell. Successful GP, still out flashing V8.
Claudie Dunne. No longer married to Squawk, lives in Glossop I think.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#41 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 09:23:16 am

Ruth was certainly a bit mad, but i really liked her. I know she had had some very bad things in her life and was dealing with them. The problem with hanging out with her was that once she was pissed she turned a little uncontrollable....i was thinking the other day about what she was up to these days - do you have any idea?

Married with at least one sprog and head of department last I heard. Really sorted I think although I've not spoken to her for ages.

Good honest reflective post there Jasper. 

Just read it back and it wasn't nearly as bad as it might have been considering the amount of wine I'd consumed.  :oops:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#42 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 10:27:27 am
This thread has made me sad. Ive heard a few times about big names "giving up" climbing and I never really understood. Why, and more importantly, how? It just doesn't make any sense. I intend to leave uni, maybe hang round Leeds for a bit. Might try and get a job at the wall or something. Then move to North Wales or Sheffield or The Lakes and get a job in a gear shop. Sorted. Many grades shall be crushed. Almscliff will fall.  :bounce:
This will continue until I die of old age or get hit by a bus or something.

Ha! You old people and your responsibilities.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 10:56:29 am
Read FOAM's posts at the top of page 2, echoing your sentiments. Not sure if he has thrown on the climbing as well, or just posting on here.

Everyone dreams like you at your age, but reality eventually crushes harder.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#44 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 02:01:04 pm
I think what tends to happen nowdays is that you reach your late thirties and hit Malham hard before its too late all the time wondering why you wasted so much time fannying about trad climbing when you could have been getting fitter and stronger.

andy_e

• forum hero
#45 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 04:28:53 pm
Read FOAM's posts at the top of page 2, echoing your sentiments. Not sure if he has thrown on the climbing as well, or just posting on here.

Last I heard he wanted to go to Leeds but didn't make the grades, and was still training more than climbing. That was 2 years ago...

i.munro

• junky
#46 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 04:36:29 pm
. Sorted. Many grades shall be crushed.
This will continue until I die of old age or get hit by a bus or something.

Ha! You old people and your responsibilities.

Ok as (I presume) a yoof. Can you answer a question for me.
Why the UK? If I was young & carefree I'd be off to the Forest  & get a job in a abar or something (I'm pretty tempted now & my remaining climbing lifetime must be measured in months rather than years).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#47 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 04:45:07 pm
If I was young & carefree I'd be off to the Forest  & get a job in a abar or something

I'd second that.  Travel and get to various venues.
Go on Hunt, drop out of Uni and experience a life bouldering and bumming around  :read:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#48 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 04:51:14 pm
Bouldering aint really my thing. Am currently planning an expedition to Mongolia.
Who is FOAM? Everyone seems to know who everyone is in real life on here. Im none the wiser.

i.munro

• junky
#49 Re: The Power Of Climbing
February 18, 2008, 04:59:51 pm
Bouldering aint really my thing. Am currently planning an expedition to Mongolia.

Well ok  (sorry fooled by website name...) but whatever sub-species of climbing you're into
there's lots better elsewhere (usually France)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal