UKBouldering.com

How to build a woodie (Read 430957 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#550 Re: How to build a woodie
June 07, 2017, 03:59:02 pm
Remember you are effectively building a big plywood sail!

This.

Consider the fact that hoarding around construction sites are subject to temporary works designs for this very reason.

Cac03

#551 Re: How to build a woodie
June 07, 2017, 04:57:58 pm

What posts are you concreting into the ground? Steels?

Not done the calculations but off top of my head 500 mm sounds pretty shallow - I'd be looking at double that for 3.6 m. Sounds overkill for a light weight timber structure but you'd be surprised with the wind loading. Remember you are effectively building a big plywood sail!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Thanks , yeah Timber 4x4s for 2xfront posts, 2x4s for 4xback posts. 
Wood order won't allow for 1metre depth as bought and paid for (and too short to give 1metre)... but thinking attached post supports/anchors could buy me another 500mm for front posts. 

changement

#552 Re: How to build a woodie
June 07, 2017, 05:33:19 pm

[/quote]
Thanks , yeah Timber 4x4s for 2xfront posts, 2x4s for 4xback posts. 
Wood order won't allow for 1metre depth as bought and paid for (and too short to give 1metre)... but thinking attached post supports/anchors could buy me another 500mm for front posts.
[/quote]

No worries, that sounds a good solution. Just remember to get exterior grade wood for posts and consider coating the concreted section with something.

(Apologies if you've already thought of this)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#553 Re: How to build a woodie
June 12, 2017, 03:24:57 pm
Just came across this on Instagram, now that's a Woodie:

Fadanoid

• addict
#554 Re: How to build a woodie
June 17, 2017, 10:50:54 am
Hi Cac03,

Looking at your side view plan you might want to consider putting a horizontal timber in at least midway up.

I don't think you have any torsional resistance apart from the kickboard that is fixed into the ground.
If you pm me your email I can send you some images of how I've built mine?

Cac03

#555 Re: How to build a woodie
June 26, 2017, 11:26:27 am
Thanks! Kind of figured that out, so attached horizonatal struts between the diagonal uprights and also top horizontal bar, had some plywood left over and also attached this at the back. 
Concrete has to go in, but other than that, she seems pretty stable!

20170625_211431 by cac03 mac, on Flickr

Moffatt Board by cac03 mac, on Flickr

Durbs

• forum hero
#556 Re: How to build a woodie
June 26, 2017, 12:25:04 pm
Wicked board - pretty much what I was going for with mine.

One question though - why is the logo not central?!

Cac03

#557 Re: How to build a woodie
June 26, 2017, 12:37:30 pm
I had to freehand the lettering, fecked up a few letters, had to redo the sizing, so re-drew the circle rather than redo the lettering....figured it'll be trashed in a few weeks anyway with scuff marks....but had intended not to centre it perfectly anyway, to give space for Numbers up the left side...so wasn't aiming for centre (but wasn't aiming for so far right either.)

Kids a major Moffatt fan, but the logo ain't gonna help her climb 8c's!

Could've spent more time doing it perfectly, but would rather have the time climbing it!  There's always compromises.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#558 Re: How to build a woodie
July 18, 2017, 01:39:50 pm
Do any of the external board builders have recommendations for paint? I'm looking at Coo-var sure grip - any experiences out there? If so, what primer did you use with it? And how many coats did you need?

Cac03

#559 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 09:04:42 am
Do any of the external board builders have recommendations for paint? I'm looking at Coo-var sure grip - any experiences out there? If so, what primer did you use with it? And how many coats did you need?
[/I went a tad OTT on the primer possibly, with 4 coats of cuprinol, but I had rough sawn , not treated. I then did three coats of outdoor satin on the boards themselves, not grip paint.  I did contemplate it, but decided against it.  Figure it's a small board and I could do with focusing on good intentional foot placements, grippy paint would let me away with sins. I will obviously live to regret this decision. 

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#560 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 09:57:23 am
Thanks, I've used treated wood for the frame and treated the sawn edges with Ensele, so that should be good. I've a tin of exterior primer I'm planning to put a couple of coats of on the boards and then a couple of coats of whatever I decide on as the top coat.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#561 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 10:46:06 am
Reading this with interest... on a climbing tower I  built years ago for an outdoor centre we used ready mixed resin and squegeed a layer on both sides and ends of the ply... its lasted for over ten years now. With all the painting you've planned it could possibly be cheaper and a lot quicker to do this?!

Cac03

#562 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 11:13:03 am
Thanks, I've used treated wood for the frame and treated the sawn edges with Ensele, so that should be good. I've a tin of exterior primer I'm planning to put a couple of coats of on the boards and then a couple of coats of whatever I decide on as the top coat.

Should prob also mention the back and front of the board have monarflex sheeting as well to weatherproof....possibly plastic corrugate at a later stage.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#563 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 12:52:40 pm
Reading this with interest... on a climbing tower I  built years ago for an outdoor centre we used ready mixed resin and squegeed a layer on both sides and ends of the ply... its lasted for over ten years now. With all the painting you've planned it could possibly be cheaper and a lot quicker to do this?!

Interesting. What sort of resin are you talking about? I'm open to ideas if they'll save time/money. Thanks.

Durbs

• forum hero
#564 Re: How to build a woodie
July 20, 2017, 05:16:39 pm
I also came across decking varnish/paint which has grippy-stuff built into it, possibly good for vert/slabs but less so overhangs?

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#565 Re: How to build a woodie
July 21, 2017, 12:59:30 pm
Thanks for all the input. Think I'll sack-off the grippy paint idea then as my walls is at 45 degrees (bar the kick board). Leaning towards some Zinsser All Coat Exterior so I can paint it in an afternoon (1 hour re-coat time).

gme

• forum hero
#566 Re: How to build a woodie
July 21, 2017, 01:34:06 pm
Dont use texture paint. They have at the local wall i use and as well as not adding anything to the use of the board it trashes your skin. Every time you grab a hold your effectively sandpapering the top of your fingers.

I have not got an outside wall but do have a miniramp. I first made it with marine ply and no matter what it was seal with it rotted so i used Phenol faced ply and have had no issues for 6 years. As someone above stated you really need to concentrate on the edges of the panels. For every coat you put on the flat put 3 on the edges. Personally i would mastic all the joints to stop any water getting in them, i do this most years on the ramp and if you dont the edges start to delaminate. The ramp is obviously worse as its a flat surface so water sits on it.

I am thinking of building a campus board outside and will use phenol faced ply for it but with the treated face on the back. No need to use any water proofing then. The treated timber supports will last a long time.

One more thing make sure your noggins on the back of the board have a gap at the back so water cant sit in it if they are not covered.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#567 Re: How to build a woodie
July 21, 2017, 02:57:46 pm
Thanks. The back is all covered so will be OK in that regard. Thanks for the heads-up on the edges of the panels - good call on mastic for the joints.

Bencil

#568 Re: How to build a woodie
July 21, 2017, 05:41:27 pm
How do people feel about having the timber uprights behind them when they are climbing? Any chance of knocking into them?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#569 Re: How to build a woodie
November 09, 2017, 04:19:23 pm
Following on from Bencil's comment above, I think it's time I considered building a woodie in the garden, I can't carry on spending £9 a go at the wall and the wall down the road has closed down, seems a good time  to build one. I'd rather not have to dig up the garden at the moment as we're probably going get the whole garden re-arranged and done out next summer so a free standing board would be ideal for now.

To echo Bensils question, do the beams get in the way?

How much would it cost for all the wood roughly including something to keep the rain off the back?

Also, if anyone knows any one who has or where I can find cheap holds that would be great.

Cheers

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#570 Re: How to build a woodie
November 09, 2017, 04:48:03 pm
Mines free standing and has beams and post on the floor. I don't find them a problem but I don't put holds right up to the edge of the board.

I think my board cost about £300 for the wood.

If i where building one outside I'd want it in a nice purpose built shed that would make it a nice (as possible given situation) place to train on dark cold winter evenings.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#571 Re: How to build a woodie
November 09, 2017, 07:55:15 pm
Mines free standing and has beams and post on the floor. I don't find them a problem but I don't put holds right up to the edge of the board.

If i where building one outside I'd want it in a nice purpose built shed that would make it a nice (as possible given situation) place to train on dark cold winter evenings.

Cheers, how do you find using it in the winter, a bit too grim? What do you use to light it up, floodlights?

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#572 Re: How to build a woodie
November 09, 2017, 09:15:14 pm
I use a rechargeable site light to illuminate mine. This is the first year I've had my board in the garden so I'll see how it goes over winter. I have used it in the rain a few times already though as it's steep enough (45 degrees) to stay dry.

I find the 'uprights' supporting the board (mine are at 15 degrees) only interfere if you have problems that finish towards either edge.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#573 Re: How to build a woodie
November 09, 2017, 09:54:16 pm
I find the 'uprights' supporting the board (mine are at 15 degrees) only interfere if you have problems that finish towards either edge.

I have a narrow free-standing board (indoors though).  I find that the uprights can interfere but only on certain types of problem - those where you latch a hold at the edge of the board, and then let go from a hold at the opposite side - and then barn-door into an upright.  Annoying but not a massive limitation - worth putting up with if it's the only  / far the easier option for construction.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#574 Re: How to build a woodie
November 10, 2017, 09:00:57 am

Cheers, how do you find using it in the winter, a bit too grim? What do you use to light it up, floodlights?

Ah sorry I wasn't clear. Mine is in the house - it's lovely in winter  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal