UKBouldering.com

Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ? (Read 8028 times)

MrF

• regular
Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 21, 2010, 01:06:14 pm
I've read it is important to get some high G.I carbohydrate into your system (as well as protein) straight after a session to aid recovery. Apparently Dextrose is the best form of carbs to use. Has anyone experimented with this?

Until now I just always enjoyed a few pieces of dark choc after a session   :please:

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 21, 2010, 01:19:54 pm
Its one of the main ingredients contained in most post workout shakes... so yes lots of people have. The ins and outs of this kind of nutrition and its relevance to climbing have been battled out a million times on this forum.

I hate to say this but I'd recommend a search.

MrF

• regular
#2 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 10:34:14 am
A million times? I think your exaggerating   :P

A quick search for 'Dextrose' reveals only one vaguely relevant thread. Am I looking in the wrong place ?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#3 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 10:37:57 am
Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup is about a Million times better than that dextrose shit.

MrF

• regular
#4 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 05:08:33 pm
I don’t suppose Hydrolyzed rice syrup (or Dextrose) occurs naturally in any food types?

Does good post work out nutrition require a trip to the supplement store or will certain foods suffice?

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 05:11:55 pm
it can be done easily with food, just find a protein and a simple carb and consume swiftly after exercise. Problem is cost and (mainly) convenience.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#6 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 05:57:12 pm
I don’t suppose Hydrolyzed rice syrup (or Dextrose) occurs naturally in any food types?

Does good post work out nutrition require a trip to the supplement store or will certain foods suffice?

Hydrolyzing is basically a form of artificial partial digestion, this improves the substances bio-availability (meaning it gets absorbed by your body a lot quicker) its also pulls water and nutrients into muscle tissue much faster than any other carb on the market right now, hence why it is often used to treat cases of extreme de-hydration, and if you don't know how important proper hydration is to athletic performance.....well you should!
It has a lower molecular weight (or is more osmotic? I think I said that right?) than standard glucose/dextrose/maltodextrin etc, which means it practically bypasses digestion and gets into your blood-stream super fast.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 22, 2010, 07:23:39 pm

Hydrolyzing is basically a form of artificial partial digestion, this improves the substances bio-availability (meaning it gets absorbed by your body a lot quicker) its also pulls water and nutrients into muscle tissue much faster than any other carb on the market right now, hence why it is often used to treat cases of extreme de-hydration, and if you don't know how important proper hydration is to athletic performance.....well you should!
It has a lower molecular weight (or is more osmotic? I think I said that right?) than standard glucose/dextrose/maltodextrin etc, which means it practically bypasses digestion and gets into your blood-stream super fast.
and where do you get this from? google has failed me ( i got tired looking through endless fitness/bodybuilding forums. )

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#8 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 23, 2010, 02:10:19 am
Google: hydrolyzed rice syrup medical studies

Plus i've tried the stuff, flipping awesome HRS > Dextrose all day every day!

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 23, 2010, 12:01:34 pm
I've read about Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup and I'm interested in trying it out to see if it gives improved recovery, but when I google it all I find are a couple of expensive bodybuilder's supplements like 'Omega One' and a couple of others. Anyone know if this stuff's available by itself without the rest of the expensive junk thrown in? Where did you get your HRS from?

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 23, 2010, 12:50:41 pm
one of my mates says the hydrolized stuff tastes really rough?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#11 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
January 23, 2010, 01:33:00 pm
I've read about Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup and I'm interested in trying it out to see if it gives improved recovery, but when I google it all I find are a couple of expensive bodybuilder's supplements like 'Omega One' and a couple of others. Anyone know if this stuff's available by itself without the rest of the expensive junk thrown in? Where did you get your HRS from?

I personally used the Omega One stuff, I tried it in bulk a while back and I think I got it from these guys myprotein.co.uk.
At least thats where I used to get most of my bulk powder stuff, I used to mix up my own supplements sometimes using a cap kit and various raw powders, haven't done that for a long time though!

Hydrolyzed stuff tastes nasty as hell, if you plan on drinking you need a strong or effective flavouring system, it tastes extremely bitter! Hence they normally use fruity flavours to mask its taste.

MrF

• regular
#12 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 12:25:21 am
I can't seem to find Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup anywhere.

I've found Dextrose on myprotein, looks cheap enough. I understand it doesn’t taste great, will flavoured whey protein hide the taste?

On a more important note, how much simple carbohydrate/dextrose/HRS/sugar is recommended post workout?

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#13 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 12:31:18 am
dextrose and unflavoured whey just taste like funky milk, not to bad really.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 12:39:09 am
you could have worded that better...

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#15 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 08:28:56 am
very true

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#16 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 01:37:11 pm
I can't seem to find Hydrolyzed Rice Syrup anywhere.

I've found Dextrose on myprotein, looks cheap enough. I understand it doesn’t taste great, will flavoured whey protein hide the taste?

On a more important note, how much simple carbohydrate/dextrose/HRS/sugar is recommended post workout?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, just read this thread again, it appears HRS has become really difficult to get hold of these days, and Omega One is out of stock in most places, however Omega one, with some bulk Hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, does make for an amazing post-workout drink!
Really light on the stomach but high on protein and important carb content.
Since HRS is hardly available in the UK at the moment (for whatever reason I don't know?), I would recommend Waxy Maize Starch as the next best thing, dextrose really is shit in my opinion and should be avoided at all costs, unless you are a hardcore Ecto-morph (find it difficult to get fat).

Or this stuff is excellent: http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/product.php/697/golden_finish

Alternatively get myprotein to knock you up a custom blend, or wait for this product to hit the UK:

http://www.controlledlabs.com/product_desc.php?id=128

Which looks the dogs bollocks, I used to use Purple Wraath all the time, expensive, but it gave me a ridiculous endurance increase!

Should be with most UK suppliers within 2-4 weeks from what i've heard, IMO a serving of this, and half a serving of Purple Wraath drunk during your climb/workout, and then a decent meal when you get home would pretty much negate the need for a protein shake, as the high quality carbs and essential Amino's taken on during your training should be sufficient to prevent catabolism and enhance recovery/strength increases.
I did this for a while with Purple Wraath, and got some of the best gains of my life in the gym.
Just remember the magic 2:1 (carbs to protein) ratio when making your post-workout/training meal at home, and you'll be helping your recovery big time :)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey

tobym

• menacing presence
#18 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 03:48:24 pm
I have read, in numerous places that milk (chocolate or not) is the ideal post workout drink, in terms of carbohydrates/protein and other macronutrients(?)

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 04, 2010, 04:29:28 pm
just purchased some of myprotein's hydrolysed whey and the waxy starch, tastes like utter puke, when if first used it this morning. gonna change the combination this evening for

25g hydrolysed whey ming.
11.25g waxy starch
10g chocolate nesquick
200ml skimmed milk
rest water,

should give a breakdown of
240Kcal
27g protein
0.7g fat
30.2 carbs

not sure what percentages people normally recommend for climbing in terms of protein verses carbs?

Cheers
Tim

MrF

• regular
#20 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 08, 2010, 10:12:06 am

Thanks for all your responses. Waxy maize starch mixed whey seems to be the cheapest way to go about it.

Is Hydrolysed whey protein really much better than Whey isolate (or just whey protein)? Does is really justify to the inflated price tag?

MrF

• regular
#21 Re: Dextrose - Post climbing nutrition ?
February 08, 2010, 10:36:19 am
Whilst looking into Waxy Maize starch, I stumbled across these articles:

http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-science/holy-spin-doctor-batman-latest-on-wazy-maize/

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/setting-the-record-straight-on-the-waxy-maize-craze/

"white bread appears to be a superior post workout carb source than Waxy Maize Starch if one is looking to spike glucose and insulin levels, which leads to enhanced rates of glycogen storage and anti-catabolism."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal