UKBouldering.com

Potential issues at Conies Dale (Read 5024 times)

CBA

• player
  • Gin drinking underachiever
    • Unrepentant man child
Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 20, 2018, 08:52:54 pm
While approaching Conies today on the public footpath,we were accosted in the second field by a farmer demanding that we leave. He claimed we weren't on a public footpath,our dog was not on a lead (she was) and when questioned courteously, claimed we weren't on CROW land... His response was "Are you taking the fucking piss?" We were then told to,and I quote, "Fuck off and get back in your house",which incidentally is the weakest insult I've ever been dealt. Since reasoning with the bloke was futile,we left..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:47:01 pm by shark »

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 03:23:17 pm
Sounds like a right twat...

Thanks for a) behaving responsibly and b) making me laugh :)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 03:46:42 pm
From looking at the approach map, https://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.php?id=238351 it looks like you could stay on the main footpath until you enter the access land and then cut back east? It's a funny little bit of access land https://binged.it/2GCx2zF

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#3 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 04:37:14 pm
From looking at the approach map, https://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.php?id=238351 it looks like you could stay on the main footpath until you enter the access land and then cut back east? It's a funny little bit of access land https://binged.it/2GCx2zF

I made that image.

Doing what you say means crossing walls where no styles exist. I'm pretty sure this led to wall damage in the past (the walls are impressively wonky around there and can easily topple if one crossed them) and is why the farmer enters into any discussion pissed off.

I suspect many who approach don't follow the red line exactly. It's much easier not to. So suspect farmer is right when he was complaining that CBA wasn't on a footpath (not sure whether that therefore counts as trespassing).

CBA wasn't on CRoW land as the second field is not on access land.

It's very easy to make a mistakes here, I've certainly done it, it doesn't surprise me that the farmer is annoyed.

A lot of care is needed here to maintain good relations.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#4 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 04:38:56 pm
From Rob Dyer (BMC) on facebook

We're looking into this with the Access Team from PDNPA at the moment and a site visit by PDNPA is planned for this Wed, then they will follow up with the landowner. BMC/PDNPA can easily fund a stile over the fence if needed, but this would need landowner permission and agreement to a permissive access route first. Putting signs up without permission could well be counterproductive if the farmers are getting annoyed already. I'd advise steering clear for the time being, whilst we try to work out if anything can be done here. Bear in mind that as is often the case with access issues, this might not be an instant fix.

T_B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 05:36:22 pm
There's a stile over the wall, where the public footpath is, but then there's a very short section which includes pegging a fence, which is on private land as far as I can make out.

You could just continue following the public footpath up the hill into the Access land and cut down in an easterly direction to the crag as suggested above.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#6 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 05:39:10 pm

Doing what you say means crossing walls where no styles exist. I'm pretty sure this led to wall damage in the past (the walls are impressively wonky around there and can easily topple if one crossed them) and is why the farmer enters into any discussion pissed off.

Thanks dude; I had naively assumed that the land owner had provided either gates or stiles where the RoW passes the walls, as I believe is their obligation!

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 05:48:41 pm
I've seen cows pushing over the wall in the first field (nearest the road)....

But thats no excuse for anyone to climb over them....

mark20

• junky
#8 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 06:11:59 pm
Regardless of how unreasonable and rude they have been perhaps it's best not to write anything too derogatory about them on a public forum? I vaguely recall that this has caused issues in the past.

From reports on the facebook group, it sounds like the BMC and PDNP are making progress, and advising climbers to stay clear for the time being  :thumbsup:

CBA

• player
  • Gin drinking underachiever
    • Unrepentant man child
#9 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 06:21:32 pm
Shark edited my original post for that very reason... In my defence,it had been a long day,involving a bailout plan of a very sweaty Anstons,and several strong beers when I posted.  :alky:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#10 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 07:26:19 pm
He edited it, but not before it made me laugh. Wadded.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#11 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 08:24:11 pm
There's a stile over the wall, where the public footpath is, but then there's a very short section which includes pegging a fence, which is on private land as far as I can make out.

You could just continue following the public footpath up the hill into the Access land and cut down in an easterly direction to the crag as suggested above.

I did look at this when I made the map but couldn't find a style to allow walls to be crossed to get to the crag. I figured the fence was least bad of the options and knew it was not on the farmers land who could see you walking in. I guess this was fine for a crag not in a guide but a bit insensitive once in the guide because it involves wondering across some private land and jumping a fence. A lesson for guide writers and any one writing some access instructions to a crag.

T_B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 21, 2018, 10:42:00 pm
Just looking at Google Maps in ariel view it looks as though you’d go through one more gate, then is there not a stile over a wall where the footpath is marked on the OS map? You can see a path heading downhill almost parallel to the base of the valley. I can’t see any walls down there other than the fallen down wall right behind the crag.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#13 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 22, 2018, 08:01:14 am
I see what you mean, i think. If by the "fallen down wall" you mean the wall that runs down the valley bottom right by the crag then it's not fallen down. From memory the last time we had problems was because climbers has hopped this wall and damaged it. So hopping this wall is a no no.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#14 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
May 25, 2018, 10:55:50 am
Update from Rob Dyre on fb

A quick update: Negotiations are ongoing through the Peak Park access team to hopefully establish an improved permissive access route to prevent damage to walls/fences which is a concern for the landowners. Please stay away from the crag for the time being whilst this discussion takes place to ensure no incidents jeapordise negotiations.

T_B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
June 22, 2018, 02:48:23 pm
Anyone heard any updates? Nothing on the RAD, which was last updated 4 weeks ago. I expect the crag is bone dry.

I can't see how you aren't able to approach from the Oxlow Dam i.e. from the south? Footpath, then Access land and from what I can work out, no stone walls if you come into the crag from the north eastern end.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:56:55 pm by T_B »

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#16 Re: Potential issues at Conies Dale
June 22, 2018, 03:46:27 pm
From Rob Dyer last week
Still working on it James - likely to be a slow burner I think as it will need some charming of the landowners before they agree to anything

I don't think I can see an obvious route. If i had to force one it'd require parking in the normal spot (road too narrow further up). Walking up oxlow rake and then cutting across the fields - looks like there might be gate near the C of Cummulus.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal