UKBouldering.com

dissertation resarch (Read 2354 times)

taliadrew

dissertation resarch
April 02, 2018, 12:21:34 pm
Looking for some people to fill in my survey (especially some ladies!)

Requirements are that you have a job and boulder indoors (in a climbing gym).

The survey takes ~10 minutes and is for my psychology masters research project.

The link is: https://surreyfahs.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3IC51v08FXbYWRT

Much appreciated!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: dissertation resarch
April 03, 2018, 05:00:44 pm
Talia, I'm afraid I'm not a woman but, despite this impairment, I have completed the questionnaire. It's quite good as these go and a potentially interesting question. 

A couple of minor comments: I'm surprised there is not more transparency about your institution and an ethical statement at the start, though these online questionnaires rarely seem to include them. In the latter part there are frequent references to "setting". I imagine this is a standard wording but it is ambiguous in the context of a bouldering wall.

taliadrew

#2 Re: dissertation resarch
April 03, 2018, 08:46:04 pm
Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your feedback! The format of the introduction is standard for my University and i was encouraged to use this.  What would you have liked to see more about in terms of ethics? I can certainly pass this forward to the department.

In regard to the 'setting' wording, as a boulderer myself, I am aware of this ambiguous terminology, however was unable to change this as I did not create that particular questionnaire. 

Best wishes,
Talia

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: dissertation resarch
April 04, 2018, 04:14:29 pm
The format of the introduction is standard for my University and i was encouraged to use this.  What would you have liked to see more about in terms of ethics? I can certainly pass this forward to the department.
At my place we are required to mention our affiliation, give contact details for more than one person, a data confidentiality statement (i.e. we'll do our best but no guarantees!), and that the study has had some ethical scrutiny before being released into the wild. This is the other end of the spectrum, understandable given the sensitivity of the data. 

In regard to the 'setting' wording, as a boulderer myself, I am aware of this ambiguous terminology, however was unable to change this as I did not create that particular questionnaire. 
Perhaps a brief explanatory note before this part of the questionnaire?

taliadrew

#4 Re: dissertation resarch
April 05, 2018, 11:28:48 am
I will pass forward your suggestions about the consent / information page to my department as i feel you have raised valid points.

The addition of an explanatory note prior to the questionnaire that discusses 'setting' is also something i will consider adding to my questionnaire.

Thanks for taking the time to both do the questionnaire, and give me constructive feedback. I really appreciate it :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal