UKBouldering.com

California in June (Read 2258 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
California in June
March 19, 2018, 10:34:11 am
Hi all,
I'll be heading to CA in June and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any recommendations for good bouldering (and maybe sport) around this time? I'm guessing a lot of places might be too hot but I figured it's worth an ask.
Thanks,
Alex

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: California in June
March 19, 2018, 11:06:15 am
Go high!

You can actually get some good sessions if you get out of bed early enough. Buttermilks would probably be OK first thing, as would some of the stuff around Tahoe maybe?

I was in Bishop just before Mule Days Celebrations (end of May) and was usually dossing in van at Buttermilks to get on rocks at first light, was not too bad esp if there was a bit of a wind. Could be OK really late in the day too.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#2 Re: California in June
March 19, 2018, 11:12:52 am
Tramway and Black Mountain are the two main summer venues in CA, as featured in Rampage, not been to either personally but plenty of info out there.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#3 Re: California in June
March 19, 2018, 05:33:24 pm
Tahoe and Tuolumne.  Both amazing and seriously underrated. 

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: California in June
March 19, 2018, 06:56:09 pm
Tuolumne is beautiful, cool and relatively quiet. The climbing (mostly trad.) and bouldering are great. One slight issue might be the opening of the Tioga pass, typically late May but can stretch to late June. It's been a dry season so you should be fine but big dumps in late March or April could affect this.

I don't know anything about Tahoe bouldering but the setting will be lovely.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: California in June
March 21, 2018, 01:38:41 pm
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll definitely check these places out.

stokesy

• regular
#6 Re: California in June
March 21, 2018, 04:19:30 pm
Whilst I can't vouch for temperatures at Tahoe in June (was there early November), the one area I climbed at (Middle Bliss) had some good problems on nice rock. Definitely worth a visit. I've got a North California bouldering guide, message us if you want to borrow it. South Lake Tahoe has good drinking potential too...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal