UKBouldering.com

Climbing Photos on Flickr (Read 2526 times)

jamesturnbull97

• addict
Climbing Photos on Flickr
March 14, 2018, 10:05:40 am
I've just upload a section of my favourite shots for the past couple of years on to Flickr. Any feedback or critique would be much appreciated as there's always something you can improve on.
Thanks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesaturnbull/

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Climbing Photos on Flickr
March 14, 2018, 11:25:00 am
A lot of your pictures are great shots spoilt by a bit of a gloomy look James. Do you edit on a monitor that's set very bright?

Durbs

• forum hero
#2 Re: Climbing Photos on Flickr
March 14, 2018, 11:51:08 am
Echoing what Cheque says - quite a few look underexposed by at least a stop (except the Sandvik beach one).

Looking at your EXIF data, your first three shots are underexposed by 1.3 stops (-4/3), a couple of others are -1/3.

I'd guess you're trying not to blow out your highlights, but you've been slightly over-cautious. Trust the camera to get more detail than you think, especially if you shoot raw, you'd be surprised how far you can overexpose before you blow your highlights.
Personally I've also stopped worrying about blowing highlights anyway (depending on the shot) as more often than not it's clouds/sky which aren't the focus of the image (different for landscapes).

It may just have been you forgot to check the exposure compensation and it was on -1.3 from a previous shot, we've all done that! I'd get into the habit of taking a test shot and checking the histogram to ensure you haven't got too much space on the right, i.e. you can increase the exposure.
Other people take this further using "expose to the right" (ETTR) where they deliberately over-expose the shot (without blowing the highlights) so they get as much detail in the shot as possible and bring it back down in PP - more faff than required IMO.

A couple of your shots are taken in Auto mode, which is fine but removes the control from you (except the exposure compensation). Try and stick to either Shutter or Aperture modes (Tv / Av in Canon-speak) so you're deciding what's important - length of exposure or depth of field. I'd leave ISO on auto as except for extremes, most people won't notice any noise from high-ISO shots.

Having said all this, you've got a good eye and some good compositions - just need to work on the technical bits which are far easier to learn than the "eye" part!

Also, who is Adam Wynne? I'd guess the camera's previous owner? Might want to check the camera setting as it's writing his name into the copyright of all your shots... :D

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Climbing Photos on Flickr
March 14, 2018, 02:21:39 pm
Be wary of the effect of wide angle lenses on nearby limbs.

I'll echo what others have said re: exposure. Johnny Brown suggested I turned the brightness down on my camera screen when I had the same issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal