UKBouldering.com

Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar (Read 13754 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#50 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 08, 2018, 08:54:10 am
I went for a run before reading this! Was quite prepared to walk, but in the end it was ok. Having had a few weeks off and it being only my 3rd run on a hard surface since starting again, everything feels battered except that Achilles... Bizarre.

Far prefer running off-road, but getting there involves a drive, and running by the sea is not exactly unpleasant.

Having said that, I did feel pretty fatigued from a fairly intense session at the wall the previous day, and I subsequently felt not especially fresh at the wall the following day. Hopefully this effect will dissipate with some more running, otherwise I’ll get back on my bike.

Keen to do some rings training and get the one armer training going, but I think it’s probably sensible to save that till I’m a bit lighter. Daughter keeps nagging me about fitting a pull-up bar though - she seems even more syked than I am...

csl

• junky
#51 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 08, 2018, 06:53:41 pm
This week

-3 sessions. 1 moonboard, 2 bouldering
- stretching x2 - fail
- try and sneak a day outside on saturday - snow stopped play

March

- 4 days out
- 2 Greens at The Arch - new goal, 4 Greens at the Arch
- stretching at least 2x a week

this year

7C
hands flat on floor with legs straight + various flexibility benchmarks

Weight: ~ 73.3kg

Monday

Moonboard
1 each from 6B+ to 7B

Thursday

Good session on boulders, did a green in a few goes. Good conditions at 1º

Friday

Did another green quite quickly. Plus tried a few others.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#52 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 10, 2018, 08:09:52 pm
Galapinos & Duncan - great point...Trying really hard is certainly a massively important skill.

Robbie Phillips three days later

Trying hard is a skill in itself

Murph

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 10, 2018, 09:19:36 pm
Good share Duncan. And thanks Robbie. The weakest muscle is in the mind. Been thinking (and acting on it) a fair bit about it since this weeks good discussion.

Also saw this one today from the no more mystery thread, which is a different take on trying hard...

trying hard or the day my knee gave up

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#54 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 10, 2018, 09:40:34 pm
I was going to say, there’s a hair’s breadth between ‘last to try hard’ that Phillips seems to be extolling, and 6 months on no climbing with SLAP tear, ACL rupture/ A1-4 pulley rupture etc etc. Max efforts should be when you’re feeling fresh, and when your performance starts to drop off, or you start getting sloppy, it’s time to can that exercise for the day.

Who cares if you scraped your way up a moon board problem if you take yourself out of the game?

measles23

• stalker
#55 Re: Ka Hui Lehu 418 26th Feb - 4th Mar
March 11, 2018, 08:44:02 pm
Good share Duncan. And thanks Robbie. The weakest muscle is in the mind. Been thinking (and acting on it) a fair bit about it since this weeks good discussion.

Also saw this one today from the no more mystery thread, which is a different take on trying hard...

trying hard or the day my knee gave up

Thoughts on trying:

I think worked bouldering is interesting in that while you’re working a problem you’re trying to find the easiest way of doing something so your mentality is looking for easy, but at some point you have to jack it up to “beast mode” and try hard for the ascent - I used to be quite bad at that, particularly finishing problems off post crux if there was ongoing trickiness (eg AT) so I deliberately worked on it indoors to develop the approach that post crux I was NOT coming off, and now I think I’m pretty good at trying hard, and having the “want” to finish something off.

Certainly when murph and I were working Advanced Training, murph looked so much more static and strong on it than I was, and was lapping the crux I don’t know how many times, while I just needed to slap my way through the crux once, and there was no way I was coming off - I think you’d need something harder than pinkles to train that degree of want though!

Can I be predictable and say there is absolutely no better way of training the desire to compete a difficult movement than a 1RM deadlift  ;)

My DL strategy at the mo is the polar opposite to pinkles/junk mileage - I now only train singles, cycling the height and the number of singles per session..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal