UKBouldering.com

Wobbly holds: which glue? (Read 2595 times)

Danny

• junky
Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 25, 2018, 08:06:37 pm
Can anyone link me to the best sika type product for fixing a wobbly flake? There are many kinds, and I don't want to make a punty mess on my first effort.

Cheers.

D

Danny

• junky
#1 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 07:36:59 pm
I have it on good word that this is the stuff to use:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DKIIDS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That or two part resin. However, the hold is a vertical flake in a roof crack, so I think the resin option might result in a mess.

danm

• junky
#2 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 08:14:46 pm
What you've linked is a two part polyester resin with some mortar added to make a hybrid. Out of the 3 basic resin systems, it's the cheapest, weakest and least resistant to damp and chemical attack. For these reasons, we don't recommend it for bolting, but it's probably OK for hold repair*, although for strength and longevity you might want to look at either a vinylester or epoxy based resin instead. The downside of those is that you'll need a more expensive dispenser for them if you don't have one already.

*hopefully someone with some experience of hold repair can pipe up and give some better beta

Danny

• junky
#3 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 08:27:53 pm
Ok, that's the kind of info I need. Will hold off buying anything for the mo.

Danny

• junky

kc

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 09:34:20 pm
Get yourself down to screwfix/toolstation. I never spend more than a tenner on resin for holds. If you get a tube that is around 175ml not 300ml then you can use a standard silicone applicator as long as it is heavy duty as the handle will just buckle under the strain. You can use the mixer nozzle or just squeeze some out onto some card or a plastic tub and mix with an old knife or something. Work quick as it goes off fast. Happy to share more trade secrets.

Danny

• junky
#6 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 09:40:59 pm
Share away. "Resin" being: < insert your screwfix link here>. There's a screwfix 5 mins from my house.

Cheers for the help!

kc

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 10:16:27 pm
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-ker-vsf-175w-ef-vinylester-resin-fast-curing-175ml/9686j

I have not used this particular brand before but looks ok.
 Ignore the poor review as they misunderstood the difference between gel and cure times. It goes hard and is unworkable long before it is ready to load.
The most important advice I can give is to make both surfaces immaculately clean before the resin is applied and be prepared to hold the hold still in place for a few long minutes until the glue starts to harden.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 10:22:30 pm
In my experience vinylester feels quite oily for a while but in time the chalk will soak it up.

Danny

• junky
#9 Re: Wobbly holds: which glue?
February 26, 2018, 10:26:27 pm
That's perfect. Thanks for all your help.

D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal