UKBouldering.com

Arco / Slovenia in March? (Read 1741 times)

Sarnian

• regular
Arco / Slovenia in March?
February 17, 2018, 12:24:40 pm
I'm looking for somewhere to head for a week in March. I like the idea of either Arco or Slovenia and for both it's described that you can climb there all year around but prime season is Spring/Autumn. I've seen blogs/pictures of people climbing at both in early April but from looking at the weather forecasts I'm pretty dubious that it will actually be warm enough. Has anyone been to either in winter?

Also, does Arco have any cheap campsites/bunkhouses or is it possible to wild camp, they all seem expensive.

We'll mostly be interested in 7b-8b routes so any crag recommendations would be good too.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Arco / Slovenia in March?
February 17, 2018, 08:24:49 pm
I've climbed in Arco at New Year, but that was in an exceptionally mild winter and it was only possible to climb on south facing crags while they were directly in the sun. Easter is normally peak season.

I've heard the local polizei are tough on wild camping and frankly quite right too. The layby below the Placce Zebrate (sp?) is a popular roadside bivvy spot, and the amount of human waste you have to avoid en route to the boulders or the crag is shocking. They should lock the dirty cnuts up or throw them  in the fscking lake.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Arco / Slovenia in March?
February 18, 2018, 09:05:21 am
Zoo Camping certainly used to be the cheaper campsite https://campingzoo.it/en/ and is well situated and looks to have chalets on the website. On the same road is the municipal campsite on the edge of town which is more expensive and has chalets which we used on a few family trips. Middle and Upper Masone were the best crags IMO and plenty in your grade range and walking distance from campsite

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal