UKBouldering.com

Physio for Golfer's Elbow (Read 4492 times)

B0405413

• addict
Physio for Golfer's Elbow
January 26, 2018, 11:16:44 pm
Looking for a physio to help with my golfer's elbow (pronator teres). Based in Manchester but happy to travel anywhere in North of England really (I imagine there's loads who have experience with this in Sheffield?) Has anyone had success with any?

Cheers all.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
January 28, 2018, 07:48:08 pm
I struggle with this a fair bit, not found a magic cure.
Have seen 919 Clinic and HP clinics in Sheff.
Have used Harris and Ross lots for various ailments but not for this as it’s a bit particular to climbing. That said Jeff Ross at H&R Wilmslow (on Total Fitness site) is exceptional, I know more than one Sheff based female superstar who commutes over so you may give him/them a go. You get what you pay for, check the price  before booking...  They have a few clinics in NW.

https://www.harrisandross.co.uk/our-clinics/#Wilmslow

Ged

• junky
#2 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
January 28, 2018, 10:13:18 pm
I had a Skype session with Julian Saunders in Sydney. Mine had been bad for months and his regime sorted them in a few weeks. If it comes back I revert to what he taught me and it pretty much keeps it at bay. Expensive,but was well worth it for me

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
January 28, 2018, 10:50:08 pm
Okay that's interesting. How did you contact him? That might be worth a go.
Thanks!

B0405413

• addict
#4 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 06, 2018, 10:38:03 pm
Brilliant! Thanks very much, really helpful.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 07, 2018, 08:42:28 am
I also skyped Julian Saunders. He's very good with elbows.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#6 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 07, 2018, 09:14:31 am
The PDF linked in this page helped me: http://drjuliansaunders.com/dodgy-elbows/

Also this: https://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/

A combination of these usually sort s me out pretty quickly.

teapot

• regular
#7 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 07, 2018, 11:14:25 am
I had Golfer's Elbow for about 5 years in my right elbow.

I tried everything I could -
Lots of physio - and accupuncture
Standard extension / stick/ weight exercise
Tom Randall's idea (which really buggered my elbow - so take care with that one)

Finally cracked it - watched a video on UKc by someone who recommended standard exercise - stick with weight, but with added in changes to angle of elbow

I did 3 sets of 10 at full extension, 90degree and full contraction

Video recommended quite heavy weights (3kg+), but I never went above 2kg, and built up to that.

Very quickly sorted out my problem, but I am now more careful when working problems not to over do it!

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 07, 2018, 12:09:22 pm
teapot, did you find doing the stick+weight exercise at a particular elbow angle especially painful?  Often you need to play around with the exercise to 'hit the spot'.

Historically, eccentric exercises have been suggested for tendonopathies. Whilst there are reasonable theoretical reasons for doing this in the leg, this doesn't apply so much to arm tendonopathies. Static loading has been recently advocated for tennis elbow. Climbers might want to try this.

Main message is to give a heavy load to the tendon to promote reorganisation and recovery.

Tails

#9 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 09, 2018, 04:15:59 pm
I saw Phil at the Liverpool hangar for tennis elbow. Interestingly, what irritated the injury was gripping and pulling movements. I've found that isometric gripping of ever wider objects has improved the condition along with dead lifting. I only started these again as Phil recommended heavy eccentrics and isometric holds of 30 seconds.
Such a frustrating injury, so niggling and slow to improve.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#10 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 19, 2018, 01:18:21 pm
I saw a physio last year and had great success with a prescribed exercise...

http://themightychickpea.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/a-treatment-for-elbow-tendonitis.html

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 19, 2018, 03:26:53 pm
I get confused... (partly as this is in a golfers elbow thread) but just to clarify...

Tennis elbow is on the inside of the joint (the bit that gets squashed when you do a pull up)
Golfers elbow is on the outside (in the bony notch between two bones (!) )

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#12 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 19, 2018, 03:44:25 pm
Neither. Place your forearms side by side on a table in front of you, palms up. There is a little bony lump (epicondyle) on the inside of each elbow as you look down. These lumps are facing each other as you look down.  Golfer’s elbow is soreness on this point.

This is because (spoiler alert) there is no God. From a tendon angle, it’s because all the flexor tendons in your forearm join at a common point of origin: this lump.

Tennis elbow is the elbow extensors at the back of the elbow, or ‘ the pointy bit of the elbow’ if you want to get medical about it.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#13 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 20, 2018, 01:04:36 pm
I get confused... (partly as this is in a golfers elbow thread) but just to clarify...

Tennis elbow is on the inside of the joint (the bit that gets squashed when you do a pull up)

Delete this post Tom? it is completely wrong.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Physio for Golfer's Elbow
February 20, 2018, 02:32:16 pm

Delete this post Tom? it is completely wrong.

Yes - it was meant as a Q (badly putnsorry) and MrJonathanr has corrected me above. Sorry!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal