UKBouldering.com

Supraspinatus tear (Read 4841 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 08:46:10 am
I had an Utrasound scan on my left shoulder last week and it would seem I have quite a bad tear on my Supraspinatus tendon. I have been referred to a surgeon to see if it’s repairabele.
Anyone had a repair and how did it go.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 11:24:15 am
No personal experience of rotator cuff sugery. Had SLAP lesion surgery and unshure it it helped.

The likelihood of finding a severe rotator cuff tears increases with age irrespecitve of whether your shoulder hurts or not. Rotator cuff tears are commonly found in people whose shoulders are completely pain-free: measured by ultrasound, the total tear rate in asymptomatic was 38.9% and symptomatic 41.4%.

I expect you have, but do be sure you completely exhaust the non-surgical options, including 'wait and see'.

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 01:25:37 pm
Unfortunately I’m old as well as broken. My physio reckoned if I was less active at my age, the non surgical option might be ok i.e. exercises and injections. However with climbing its only likely to get worse before it goes completely.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 02:05:26 pm
For what it's worth I've been diagnosed with this in the last week or so webbo. Amusingly I think I did it while mucking about in the swimming pool with my kids over Xmas.

Not sure if I qualify as old but I'm 40 this year, been climbing for c.25 years, but my physio is going down the route of reduce inflammation (as I think it's causing impingement / other aggro), a bit of light manipulation and then later on it'll be exercises and stretches.

He did mention an injection if it's really bad after the inflammation is down, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 03:12:00 pm
I forgot to mention I also have an old upper bicep tendon rupture. Which I’m led to believe makes my shoulder very unstable with the other tear.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 03:12:45 pm
I think i damaged mine getting "washing machined" when i ducked into a wave that closed out. I didn't have surgery, just a lot of rehab exercises / stabilisation etc. This was about 4-5 years ago (mid 40s) and it's been OK since. I still do weights / theraband etc to stabilise it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 05:41:44 pm
Unfortunately I’m old as well as broken. My physio reckoned if I was less active at my age, the non surgical option might be ok i.e. exercises and injections. However with climbing its only likely to get worse before it goes completely.

I suppose there must be something different about yours.
I did mine in 2014, at 43 years old and had exactly the opposite advice.
Tore mine trying to do an Iron Cross on the rings (actually falling out of a shitty attempt). It took nearly two years before it was strong enough to try again and still gives me trouble (I’m told it always will).
As I understand, it won’t “heal” and my physio was based on building the strength around it to compensate.
I’m pretty strong, shoulder wise, and have to keep it that way to avoid issues.
I was told the risk of surgery and recovery time/prospects were much worse than the physio option.
Ask for a second opinion?
Sounds like it’s a common complaint, and if many are asymptomatic; surely surgery should be a last resort?

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: Supraspinatus tear
January 23, 2018, 06:04:09 pm
I’m 62 so that’s part of the problem. Also the biceps tear has already effected the stability of my shoulder. When I had the ultra sound scan, the Consultant Radiologist who did it stated that it was quite a bad tear and I needed to speak to a surgeon.
However the Physio is not that sure it’s repairable.
Obviously if I can get away without surgery that’s the way to go but I was just seeing if anyone else had had it repaired.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Supraspinatus tear
March 09, 2018, 10:30:52 am
I had my shoulder operated on yesterday. The plan was repair the 21mm tear in my Supraspinatus tendon and remove some bone spurs. However the tear was much larger and also if I have got this right. I had a small tear in the Infraspinatus muscle/tendon and the Subscapularis muscle/ tendon was completely detached. I might have got some of this wrong as I was still a bit groggy from the anaesthetic.
Now in a sling for 6 weeks and will need a longer rehab programme. I did however manage to shower and dress my self this morning but I am unable to perform my domestic duties of cleaning the bathroom.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#9 Re: Supraspinatus tear
June 04, 2018, 09:17:42 pm
Hey Webbo, how you doing? I was diagnosed today with a ‘partial thickness bursal tear of the superspinatus’ of approx 5mm so not as severe as yours but the surgeon wants to get his tools out.

What did they tell you in terms of long term prognosis? I am a tad younger at 49 but still bricking it in terms of recovery and being strong again. Can’t bear the thought of not being able to climb anymore.

Any insights would be most welcome

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Supraspinatus tear
June 04, 2018, 09:38:49 pm
I’m now 12 weeks post op and have about 90% of my previous range of movement back. My physio is really pleased with my progress and believes I should be able to get back to where I was pre injury. I am back on the bike and have ridden up to 70 miles, I can sprint and climb out of the saddle but I am lacking in core strength.
Most of my rehab is stretching, I use a pulley to stretch my injured arm however I’m now doing press-ups against my weights bench and I am doing bench press very light weights. Also doing dumbbell shrugs, bent over rows, triceps press and curls.
I have been doing some deadhangs on the large slots on the BM 10 secs. I did some with AA batteries in the slots 6 secs.
I see the consultant on Friday for my 3 month follow up and he was of the opinion when I saw him 6 weeks ago it would 3 months before I would be ready for any strength work. So it would seem I’m doing well.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#11 Re: Supraspinatus tear
June 05, 2018, 09:12:50 am
Great to hear that Webbo.  :thumbsup:

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Supraspinatus tear
June 05, 2018, 09:38:47 am
The worse thing is when I look in the mirror and one shoulder appears to belong to someone else.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#13 Re: Supraspinatus tear
August 16, 2018, 11:11:55 am
Hey Webbo, how you doing now? I have anothe question for you.

I am now 4 weeks post op, spring clean and tidy up as the surgeon said. Trimming some tendon and chipping away at the acromium.

I have just had a few frustrating weeks watching my wife and mates climbing in Frankenjura.

My range of movement is nearly full apart from the arm up the back which has been challenged for a few years now anyway. My question is how long did you have pain in your shoulder? Mine has been almost constant which I have noticed more since trying to cut the ibuprofen dose in half (after taking it every morning for the last 18 months I am fairly keen to detox myself). The pain is not super intense just constant.......

webbo

• forum hero
#14 Re: Supraspinatus tear
August 16, 2018, 01:07:49 pm
I didn’t have that much pain as I was in a sling for 6 weeks and only took it off to do some basic physio ex’s, when I had a shower, got dressed and when I had physio.
5 months on I still have some movement restrictions, when trying to reach as far as I can above my head. I can fully extend extend my arm if I walk my fingers up a wall. However I get some discomfort when stretching but I never did have much flexibility.
I was doing some light weights and deadhangs but then I had a setback in early July after doing some pick and shovelling in the garden. I saw the physio who just advised resting for a couple of weeks and then to pick things up again.
I’m back doing weights and deadhangs and last Thursday I climbed for the first time in 5 months. Since then I’ve another two sessions on the board which have gone ok apart from being incredibly weak.
Given the surgeon said it would be six months before I was climbing again I pretty pleased how things are progressing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal