UKBouldering.com

Losing weight before starting training plan... a question (Read 6193 times)

k2ted

• player
Not sure if this can answered on here, but appreciate any advice from wads, trainers etc...

I’m 6’3” and weigh approx 87kg. I would like to get to 81kg which means losing muscle.
I’d say I’m 10-15% body fat, so that could be reduced.  Id like to a start a training plan, possibly lattice or something more local. I carry too muscle as had 2 years off and bulked up at the gymn. I mainly boulder, V5 or V6 on a good day, indoors & out.

Am I best to get the weight down first, then start a training plan? Or just crack on with the bulk I have and start training?

V Grateful for any advice.

Paul B

• forum hero
If you're going to loose weight by being on a calorific deficit (either via restricting calories, or increasing your output via exercise) IMO (which mightn't mean much as a skinny waif) you may as well be exercising in a specific manner.

If you go on 'a plan' where you significantly increase volume, I'd expect this may happen somewhat naturally.

Out of interest where has 81kg come from?

k2ted

• player
I was thinking sub 13stone/ 82.5 kg would be a good starting point and target weight. It’s likely 82.5kg more is realistic. I’m not sure how to guess a target weight for dieting and training.

gme

• forum hero
Your about the same weight per inch as i am (82.5KG, 181 cm) so your not that big.

I think that weight loss is the last thing you go for, get the training consistent and climb lots then look to drop weight. I could do with loosing 4-5 kg if i really want to feel strong but pointless until i feel i am doing everything else right.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I was thinking sub 13stone/ 82.5 kg would be a good starting point and target weight. It’s likely 82.5kg more is realistic. I’m not sure how to guess a target weight for dieting and training.

http://racingweight.com/ and https://mattfitzgerald.org/

The 'Quick Start' stuff may be most relevant

gme

• forum hero
According to that I need to loose 14kg. What a crock of shit, I was more than that in my teens.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
That site even recommended that I lose a few kgs, and I am pretty damn emaciated (I did guess my body fat % though).

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 :lol:

I'm amazed that it doesn't ask for your height- surely that's a massive factor?

It was spot on for me which I think may have more to do with being "average height" than anything else.

(I did guess my body fat % though).

If you put more than 8% then you might want to try it again.  ;)

I had to search for one of those images that shows people with different body fat percentages (I won't link to it as I had questions to answer at work when Shark put one in a thread a few years ago) to get an accurate idea.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:20:22 pm by cheque »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Quote from: mrjonathanr link=topic=28628.msg562296#msg562296 date=1516642939
[url=http://racingweight.com/
http://racingweight.com/[/url] and https://mattfitzgerald.org/

Climbing is not an endurance sport.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
To the OP: it's pretty important you realize that climbing - as JB helpfully observes- is not an endurance sport.
It does use the same machine though- your body.

The little counter thing on his racing weight site is clearly just to hook the attention. Only a muppet who thinks you can input a couple of numbers so someone else can do all your hard thinking for you would just take it at face value.

If you want to look more deeply into what might be a good weight Fitzgerald has written some interesting stuff around diet and body weight management which would be worth your time - specifically the quick start book (there are 2 books, Racing Weight and RW: Quick Start) which isn't so focused on keeping a high carbohydrate diet to for endurance training.

Anyway, good luck with your goals.

k2ted

• player
Cheers for all responses, looks best to get a programme and get started. Like everyone I want the best results, as fast as possible without injury, and to enjoy it!

abarro81

• forum hero
According to that I need to loose 14kg.

Sounds about right  :P

Yossarian

• forum hero
Not sure if this can answered on here, but appreciate any advice from wads, trainers etc...

I’m 6’3” and weigh approx 87kg. I would like to get to 81kg which means losing muscle.

V Grateful for any advice.

I am neither a wad nor a trainer. I am also 6ft3 though, and 101kg currently. I am also aiming to get down to the low 80s.
I don’t think I’d have much psyche at all for losing weight / going out for runs in the rain unless I was both training for climbing and doing so with an eye on monitoring improvements.

If you’re worried about overdoing it because you’re too heavy, surely you just need to focus on warming up and being vigilant about not getting carried away / tweaks, strains, etc. I’m way heavier than you and haven’t found it too hard to figure out a sensible balance.

Murph

• forum abuser
If you're going to loose weight by being on a calorific deficit

There is no “if”. This is the only way to lose weight. Trust me.

The lattice boys say that elite level climbers have BMIs at the bottom end of the 20s. If in doubt, aim for that.

http://latticetraining.com/2017/10/04/bmi-in-elite-level-climbers/

Fun fact about BMI - because it uses a squared denominator it isn’t really a good comparison for very tall or very short people. Things don’t tend to scale by the power of 2 but by the power of 3. Cubes and spheres, obviously.

People are different but they aren’t that different. It doesn’t matter all that much as all people are more or less the same size but if you are 6’3” it’s worth a BMI point or two (meaning what scores as 26 might “truly” be 25).

For short people the opposite is true.

T_B

• forum hero
If you're going to loose weight by being on a calorific deficit

My average weight in 2015: 86.6Kg
Average weight in 2016 (year I got into running): 85.6Kg
Average weight in 2017 (more running...): 84.7Kg

I used to be on a constantly restricted diet, now I eat all the time.

I'm 6'3 and bouldered my hardest in 2015 (half a dozen 7C+s, a couple of 8As, 7Cs on the 50 degree board at the School). Whilst I did some of the 7C+s when I was 87Kg, I was 84-85Kg when I did all of the 8As I've done and repeated Basic Ben/Schoolboy.

Train/climb heavy then cut a couple of kilos for your projects.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
train more and eat more. burn your mates off and get fat. best of both worlds

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
I'm in no-way qualified to give advice or draw conclusions, but what TB says about getting into running leading to weight loss makes me think that your own exercise history will have an impact on what works for you.

I used to run loads and have a very active job yomping about the hills doing survey work and my weight never changed.  It was only when I changed to a more sedentary job, cut down on the running and increased the amount of climbing and  training (30 deg board and fingerboarding) I did that I lost some weight and started seeing improvements in my grade.

My totally unsubstantiated theory is that my body was adapted to high levels of C-V endurance type exercise and it was only when I started stressing it in different ways that anything changed.

In TB'c case, did the same thing happen? Despite years of climbing, weight loss only happened when you added a new stressor?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
That website recommended I lose 2 lbs. So I knocked my weight down on the slider 2 pounds and it said I still need to loose 2 pounds. It's a viscous cycle!

I'd be wary of loosing the weight and then training. If you start light and add on any weight you'll notice a dip in performance and end up locked into a cycle of trying to keep the weight down.

Conversely, training heavy is like a free weight vest.

Murph

• forum abuser
My average weight in 2015: 86.6Kg
Average weight in 2016 (year I got into running): 85.6Kg
Average weight in 2017 (more running...): 84.7Kg

This seems like remarkably consistent weight to me. You used to keep it in check deliberately through diet, but now do a lot of running. Makes sense.

You still need a deficit to lose weight, however that is achieved.

My story: I used to be 86kgs as well. At 1.7m and untrained that is not a good look. Grade at that point in time was probably 6A max. I don't know.

A year later I was 70kgs and climbed 7A. I lost the weight by eating less. It is a lot easier to not eat 1,000 calories than to burn off 1,000 calories. I did do more cycling and stuff too but not tens of thousands of calories worth.

A couple of years after, after a bit of inconsistency (think I got back up to 74kgs after breaking a collar bone, becoming a parent and sitting round the house all winter eating crap) - at 63/64kgs I climbed Zippy's Traverse 7B. My heavily pregnant Mrs and my 23 month old were there to watch - best day ever.

If I could put my mind to it I'm sure I could climb harder than I do at my current weight (66/67 or so) but as a former fat b**tard I probably put more emphasis on weight than someone who, like yourself, sounds pretty consistent. What's the saying....if you've only got a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Appreciate for a lot of folks weight loss is just a small  detail, and they are only talking about a couple of kilos. But for me and, surely, others, its a stone or more of unnecessary flab, rather than 7C+ muscle.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

It is a lot easier to not eat 1,000 calories than to burn off 1,000 calories.

I would disagree entirely, but I like food.

Paul B

• forum hero

Apologies, terrible wording in my OP unless you're considering amputation.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Am I best to get the weight down first, then start a training plan? Or just crack on with the bulk I have and start training?

I rather think that you make this more complicated than it is. It will matter more that you loose weight than when you loose it. Start with both immediately. Time and tide...

k2ted

• player
I was 97kg in 2015 then got myself down to 85kg last summer. Also managed my first 7a last summer and put this down to losing weight. I lost most weight when restricting calories and doing very little, mainly finger boarding and climbing outside when the weather was decent.

noticed a few on here are similar height but way lighter. Hadn’t realised there’s a few similar height/ weight and more. Will start a plan soon, hopefully next few weeks...

erm, sam

• forum hero
Also managed my first 7a last summer and put this down to losing weight.

Yeah, it probably had nothing to do with the fingerboarding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal