UKBouldering.com

Connecting Firewire device to Thunderbird 3 Macbook Pro (Read 3687 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I've recently started working with the latest MacBook Pro (an upgrade from my 10 year old model) and am experiencing a bit of a headache in trying to work out how to connect an audio interface to it.

The new Macbook Pros only have Thunderbird 3 inputs and I'm trying to work what adapter (or daisychain solution) would have me in business.

For reference, this is what I'm trying to connect: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/digidesign-digi-002-rack

I've purchased a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter but am not sure whether this needs to go back to the supplier or else form part of a daisychain: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD464ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

Any help is much appreciated!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Thunderbolt 3 is basically USB-C, whereas the old Thunderbolt was minidisplayport. I'd send that back and get a Firewire to USB-C. Or pony up and buy one of the docks that give you all the ports back.

Monolith

• forum hero
I don't think I can find such a cable JB.

Just come across this post though so will have a scan through: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8102936

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
There's a one-piece solution here but it's pricey:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OWC-Port-Thunderbolt-Dock-Space/dp/B01N51P3BB/ref=sr_1_1/261-0169284-2725932?ie=UTF8&qid=1516116123&sr=8-1&keywords=owc+thunderbolt+3+dock

Bonus is it should solve any other connectivity problems too. I heard a rumour Mac were going this route so made sure I got one of the last laptops with a full array of ports.

Or use the existing adaptor plus a Thunderbolt 2 - Thunderbolt 3.

Monolith

• forum hero
Thanks JB. Looks like keeping the one I bought and getting a Thunderbolt 2 - Thunderbolt 3 adaptor is the way to go. Even though it says 'Thunderbolt' on the packaging, will that be compatible do you think? Minefield!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
It should do- any FireWire device is going to be operating below the limits of Thunderbolt 1, let alone 3, so all a 2 to 3 adapter is doing is making the connecter the right shape.

A bigger question is whether your 14 year old interface is going to be compatible with the OS on your Mac.

Monolith

• forum hero
It should do- any FireWire device is going to be operating below the limits of Thunderbolt 1, let alone 3, so all a 2 to 3 adapter is doing is making the connecter the right shape.

A bigger question is whether your 14 year old interface is going to be compatible with the OS on your Mac.

Thanks cheque. I acquired the interface through a friend who is an experienced producer. He seems to think it will be fine, it's just that the software for it is now unsupported. Will soon find out I guess!

Monolith

• forum hero
An update; the daisychain solution worked. Plugged everything together this morning, downloaded the drivers for the 003 Rack (002 unsupported) and was straight in business. Worth knowing for anybody else trying to use old firewire devices with a new Macbook Pro.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 :2thumbsup: Good to know that you can get something that on the surface is obsolete working with a current computer. One of these Digi002s on eBay for £60 posted at the moment- absolute bargain and probably less than you’ve had to pay for the adapters!

Monolith

• forum hero
A couple of adapters for less than a tonne and we're in business with 8 ins, 8 outs. Made up! Would cost a fair whack to buy a new one. Set it up with Ableton Live 9 tonight and working very nicely.  :strongbench:

Thanks for the advice all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal