UKBouldering.com

Hydration (Read 1655 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Hydration
January 10, 2018, 03:49:57 pm
Just because I was interested. I weighed myself this morning. Naked (sorry for the image) after  breakfast and post dump (see first parentheses) I knew I’d piled it on but had been avoiding actually looking...
84.7kg
Then I strapped on a 30lbs bergan and ran 10km across Dartmoor (over 400 mtrs of steep climb and two river crossings, dog was in heaven).

I drank 1.5 ltrs of water during and two double espresso with 200ml of  hot milk (I guess 400ml total) after and ate a chicken sandwich.
I am going somewhere with this, bear with me.

At no point did I feel thirsty or stressed. Sweaty, yes, despite cold air temps it was sunny and I was down to Under Armour within 200mtrs of the car.

I drove home, stripped (see that first parentheses again) and got on the scales.
81.2kg

O. M. G!

Something I knew intellectually, but had never empirically tested before. Bearing in mind I had eaten/drunk ~ 2.5kg between weighings, I burned through 6kg of water on that run!
Incidentally, I didn’t pee until after the second weighing (back up there, you know where, first parentheses).

Shouldn’t I be dead?

(Also, forgot to start Strava until I was already on top of Saddle Tor, hence the missing 700mtrs and missing elevation gain).

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Hydration
January 10, 2018, 04:05:11 pm
I'm missing the pictures, maybe you didn't upload them properly?

On a less sarcastic note, you burned 1000 calories here right (maybe a bit more with missing data)? Which if its pure glycogen equates to ~250g (I think), adding to that water retention that comes with glycogen means you will have lost 1kg of glycogen water mix (if my maths is right). Add that with sweat etc as well I think its perfectly reasonable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hydration
January 10, 2018, 04:06:42 pm
You may have started over hydrated (e.g. +1kg? or more) and ended up under hydrated... so 6kg difference may not be that crazy...

Maybe the dog ate some of your leg and you didnt notice? ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Re: Hydration
January 10, 2018, 04:26:35 pm
Calorie wise:

Strava gives it 1027 (but it doesn’t allow for the extra weight).

If I calc it out using METs, I make it 1299kcal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal