UKBouldering.com

Air conditioner for board. Useful? (Read 1693 times)

yetix

• forum abuser
Air conditioner for board. Useful?
July 19, 2021, 10:46:29 am
Wondering how useful getting an air conditioning unit would ld be for a board?  How well is one likely to manage the heat is a not super well insulated house? I can probably also use it in my home office, but considering one as a long term investment for. The board to get the most out of it in the summers.

Does anyone have any recommendations if so?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Get it.
Makes the difference, even just for hands and skin and waking you up before a go.
I used to set mine on a few hours before the session, but I don't think that you'll be dealing with central Italy summer temps.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
No experience and also interested to hear what people have tried. A portable unit seems self defeating as you have to vent it through a window. A wall mounted split unit vented outside would be good but then it couldn't be doubled up for your office. A cheaper option is a decent portable fan could be used for both rooms as well as bouldering outside so probably worth seeing if that fits the bill first. 

Which article here: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/air-conditioners/article/how-to-buy-an-air-conditioner-a1Qpf0t4HdUi

yetix

• forum abuser
Fans for me just circulate warm air, fine for my sweaty skin in the summer but not so great in a boiling board room.

I was planning to jsut have the other end of the unit going out of the window like you mentioned, however I guess this would also allow hot air to get in? Nibble what do you do for this?

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
They make window sealing kits for this purpose. A few offices in my work use them. They do them for all different types of window opening (sliding, top-pivot, velux, etc), just do a search for air conditioning window seal.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
I was planning to jsut have the other end of the unit going out of the window like you mentioned, however I guess this would also allow hot air to get in? Nibble what do you do for this?
Well, as suggested a specific hole in the glass is the best option. The same as the ones used in bathrooms to let steam out.
Personally, since the window sits behind the board, I bought three meters of flexible aluminium duct, I modified the unit's vent mouth to fit the duct and I run it outside the door in the middle of the living room, leaving opposite windows open.
It works.
Of course, nothing will work as well as a proper wall mounted unit the expels hot air ouside via specific ducts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal