UKBouldering.com

Vegan diet and training (Read 821 times)

weakdave

more Offline
  • forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 12:23:59 pm
Anybody tried going vegan and still training? I have read a few things and people seem to really do well from it but never actually met or some too any of these people.

I am doing it from a health point of view rather than feeling sorry for delicious animals so if it doesn't work it's no big deal but I am keen to try, unless anyone has horror stories about it?

jwi

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • uhm... huh?
    • On Steep Ground
#1 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 04:53:38 pm
It makes no difference to climbing. None.

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 06:03:23 pm
I've been vegan for close to thirty years now and managed to climb at a reasonably high standard ... but have never been much of a trainer so probably don't have any particularly good advice. However, there are plenty of vegan elite athletes across a range of disciplines so I don't see it being much of a problem.

battery

more Offline
  • player
#3 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 06:14:42 pm
https://www.rebeccadent.co.uk/nutrition-articles/

No specific article about vegan but some good advice that may contribute. She does Facebook live broadcasts every now and again answering questions so might be worth keeping your eye out for that, or drop her a message, I think she's open to questions/suggestions for articles.

weakdave

more Offline
  • forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
#4 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 08:33:25 pm
Thanks guys

tim palmer

more Offline
  • forum abuser
#5 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 08:47:25 pm
It makes no difference to climbing. None.
Care to expand upon this at all?

Fultonius

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#6 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 01, 2018, 10:20:02 pm
Anybody tried going vegan and still training? I have read a few things and people seem to really do well from it but never actually met or some too any of these people.

I am doing it from a health point of view rather than feeling sorry for delicious animals so if it doesn't work it's no big deal but I am keen to try, unless anyone has horror stories about it?

If you are strict and well planned you should be able to maintain adequate levels of protein and shouldn't necessarily lose out performance wise compared to a meat based diet.

I can't see any way it could improve your performance though. I think the jury is very much out over any purported health benefits. It's very easy to be an unhealthy vegan! 

Good for the environment, but don't expect any grade boost!

andy popp

more Offline
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 02, 2018, 07:01:09 am
I can't see any way it could improve your performance though. I think the jury is very much out over any purported health benefits. It's very easy to be an unhealthy vegan! 

True, but its also not that difficult to be a healthy one.

Mallcock1

more Offline
#8 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 02, 2018, 08:28:46 am
I've been vegan for a few years. Trained a bit before that as an omnivore. I found no significant difference to training after changing my diet because the macro-nutrient ratio I am eating is about the same as it was before.

I get injured less frequently now, but that's probably because I've started weight-training, rather than due to a change in diet.

Monolith

more Offline
  • forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#9 Re: Vegan diet and training
January 02, 2018, 11:23:50 am
Around 4 months in now but it's not that much of a shock for me since I didn't eat meat for 21 years since I was born.

It's incredibly easy to get protein sources and you'll also see your shopping bills come down insanely. Mixed beans, pulses etc. cost pennies.

Be sure to get adequate sources of B12 as any dietitian will tell you. Personally I love nutritional yeast flakes and a heaped spoon a day on a meal has that base covered.

I've found the Vegan Society to be incredibly helpful and was connected with Peter Antonio at Birmingham University who was similarly helpful: https://www.sportandfitness.bham.ac.uk/experts/peter-antonio/

Happy training.