UKBouldering.com

Download the Petit/Bodet multipitch Bible for free (Read 9590 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The entire Parois de Légende is now available as a pdf from Bodet & Petit's website

https://vagabondsdelaverticale.wordpress.com/books/

Arnaud Petit is writing on his facebook: (loosely translated)
A Christmas gift for those who are looking for the book Parois de légende... People are often asking me how to get hold of it – it is no longer available and there will not be a second print, we offer you access to the content in pdf on our web site. In hope of a calm and beautiful holiday season.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Shame there will be no revised version.  AP was talking about doing one eighteen months ago with new content to replace the Saharan routes. I guess it’s a lot of work and perhaps they feel it’s time for someone else to take it on. There have been a couple of recent efforts along similar lines but both very Eurocentric and fell well short of what could be done. 

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
A good thing about PdL is that, apart from impeccable route choices (in Europe and around the Mediterranean sea at least), the topos and pitch descriptions are spot on  – usually better than the area guide book. I still hope for a future extended version. AP seems still keen to gather info about more multipitch crags around the world.

Paul B

• forum hero
Do you take no second print to mean no future publication?

I was hassling him for an English version via social media less than 18 months ago and he said it was coming.

I was bought "Rock Around the World" for Christmas and despite not having scrutinised it the first flick got me totally psyched.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Did anyone download this, and if so, would you be able to let me have a copy (perhaps via weTransfer, if its a very big file)?

I saw the original post, but was abroad at the time without access to a big dataplan - so couldn't download it.

When I remembered about it today and went to Arnaud and Steph's website to download it, I just found a message saying the publisher has stopped them offering the download (though given that the original offer was made on Xmas day, lots of folk did probably download it before the publisher put a stop to the fun).

Thanks, Neil

sdm

• forum abuser
I've got a copy, I'll send you a Google drive link.

petejh

• forum hero
Also have a copy if you need one. Best free download ever!

galpinos

• forum hero
Could I add my name to the list of people who missed the download offer and would like a copy?

Turboman

• addict

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Thanks for the replies, and particularly to sdm for making his download available to me this morning.

Looking forward to getting inspired....!

Neil

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I have my copy somewhere in my apartment 6h away, and the said pdf on a network drive that I for some reason cannot access anymore. Does anyone still have a copy they could send? The pages with Dévoluy suffices.

nic mullin

• menacing presence
Have PM'd you.

sdm

• forum abuser
Beat me to it. I've also pmed you a link (if pms are working?)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Beat me to it. I've also pmed you a link (if pms are working?)
nic's pm is working, but not yours... very strange? but no sweat, I have the relevant pages!

sdm

• forum abuser

petejh

• forum hero
Would be interested to hear how you find Devoluy jwi. We climbed at the sport crag on Le Gicon a few years ago and remember looking across at that huge main wall and thinking it'd looked ace.

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
Would be interested to hear how you find Devoluy jwi. We climbed at the sport crag on Le Gicon a few years ago and remember looking across at that huge main wall and thinking it'd looked ace.

I've done 4 routes (Lucifer, Dernière, Paix, and the short one) on the west facing main wall and 1 on the north facing wall (Balade). The quality of the climbing and rock isn't exceptional, but I like setting, the accessibility and the fact that a wall this big is located next to the road. And the climbing with the horizontal silica bands is special for sure, and quite pumpy as well.

I hope to be back for more (either Elsa, lMdlM, or Miroir Tectonique) next week. The route we did on the north face was the most adventurous (before the rebolting) of the lot, but the quality of the rock was mostly average. The traversing 14th length of Dernière I'll always remember. Brilliant exposure and at 7a a bit too hard to cruise comfortably for me at the time. Sweet memories of a breaking hold and resulting big lob into the void below ;D.

Bruno Beatrix went back in 2015, 2016 and 2018 and put up three new routes on the west facing wall Patate d'espace, Humeurs Vagabondes and MT. lMdlM by another team on the north face is new as well:

https://sud-ascension.com/nouvelle-escalade-a-la-grande-roche-gillardes-devoluy/
https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/1211350/fr/les-gillardes-petite-roche-miroir-tectonique

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:31:23 pm by HaeMeS »

petejh

• forum hero
Great info!  :thumbsup:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

Me and my better half did this today: https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/54706/fr/les-gillardes-petite-roche-sous-la-griffe-de-lucifer
Apart from the first pitch, the rock was excellent all the way. Most pitches vertical. Pitch 4 to pitch 11 were all very good. Quite far between the bolts: "either be strong or be zen" as we were told. I am way more tired now than I thought I'd be.

petejh

• forum hero
Very envious! I love that area. Stayed in a nice campsite just down the valley on the D937, near  Veynes. Close to Ceuse, Devoluy, Orpierre. Had a great time.

I remember some impressive huge faces on Sommet de Plaine or Raz de Bec.. do you know if there are routes on those?

I need more long adventurous rock climbs in big mountains in my life

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Could someone possibly PM me a drive link? Would love to have a look at this.  :bounce:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

I remember some impressive huge faces on Sommet de Plaine or Raz de Bec.. do you know if there are routes on those?

The most impressive wall around those peaks is surely Pic de Bure (the impressive pillar visible from the motorway approaching Gap/Céüse from the south). René Desmaison put up the classic route that every aspiring climber has done at some point https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/54479/fr/pic-de-bure-pilier-e-ou-voie-desmaison (My wife says its good, but that it involves a lot of hiking in and out making it a long day).

I think it is fair to assume that every steep face in the alps has a route.

RogerG

me too please! would love a download link
thanks

nic mullin

• menacing presence
I've PM'd you both - let me know if they haven't arrived

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal