UKBouldering.com

Ondra in Israel (Read 5457 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Ondra in Israel
December 05, 2017, 05:33:21 pm
Ondra is copping quite a bit of flak on instagram for his recent trip to Israel: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcSovILleeL/?taken-by=adam.ondra (while there he did a 9a FA and flashed 8c+).

Should he have gone? As an academic, and especially as a journal editor, I face similar questions, albeit on a smaller scale, as there is a long standing call for an academic boycott of Israel. In fact, I have published work by one Israeli author and have not received any backlash. I don't believe in stifling academic debate. But would I go to Israel on a government sponsored lecture tour? Adam's trip was apparently sponsored by the Israeli tourist board. His mistake, in my view, has been to gloss over that in his instagram and then to attempt to portray the trip as completely apolitical. Given the context, that is an impossible claim and one that looks naive or ill-advised. In another bad move he even called the 9a "Climb Free," something that is impossible for Palestinian climbers. If he was going to accept the sponsorship he should, in my view, have insisted on also meeting and climbing with the Palestinian climbing community. That such a request would probably have been denied kind of proves its the importance of making it. I'm not going to start thinking he is evil incarnate, but I think he's made a mistake, at the very least in terms of how the trip has been framed and handled. Views? 

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 05, 2017, 05:56:15 pm
As you say, there's a difference between going on holiday and being brought over by the tourist board as a PR job. How do you know it was the latter? Instagram info is pretty slim, is there something elsewhere spelling this out?

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 05, 2017, 07:12:05 pm
I don't know for sure, which is why I said "apparently." I should probably have said "If its true" before everything that followed. I note he hasn't actually refuted it in the latest post discussing the controversy.

Danny

• junky
#3 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 05, 2017, 07:52:29 pm
It seems that being the best climber in the world doesn't ensure you'll have a good understanding of geopolitics in the areas you visit. Not a shocker. Not a big deal either...in my estimation at least. I think very few have the requisite understanding to unpack all the complexities  associated with conflict in that part of the world, and those that shout the loudest tend to know the least. It could be argued that an outright boycott of Israel and Israelis is an equally-facile position.     

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 05, 2017, 09:15:43 pm
It could be argued that an outright boycott of Israel and Israelis is an equally-facile position.     

It could indeed. Wherefore the relevance?

Andy spoke about being upfront about his sponsors, so this looks like an Aunt Sally.

Quote from: Andy Popp
His mistake, in my view, has been to gloss over that in his instagram and then to attempt to portray the trip as completely apolitical.

Danny

• junky
#5 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 06, 2017, 08:56:35 am
I was referring to the idea (not Andy's) of an academic boycott.

andy popp

• forum hero

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 15, 2017, 10:17:04 pm
To be honest, I hadn't had a chance to do more than skim it when I posted it. I put it up mainly because it seemed to confirm that the trip did have some kind of government sponsorship.

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 15, 2017, 10:34:54 pm
A couple of clarifications: I can't see where the article implies Nezer Cave is in the West Bank. Nor can it see where it asserts that Israel is a creation of Western Imperialism. Rather, it argues Israel emerged in a context heavily shaped by Western Imperialism. I think that is pretty hard to argue with.

Overall, I thought the article was careful and considered. It took the time to explain the historical background, it was balanced (admitted faults on all sides), and explored things like the boycott movement from multiple angles. I thought it stayed pretty calm and reasoned.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 16, 2017, 10:22:27 pm
Overall, I thought the article was careful and considered. It took the time to explain the historical background
I found some of the background made me feel a bit uneasy, for instance the description of the 6 day war as "6-Day War, during which Israel took full control of the West Bank and Gaza" seemed pretty one dimensional.  Although maybe unrealistic for a free online climbing rag I think the whole thing worthy of a more in depth exploration (possibly with separate history and opinion sections) or best left alone (because if you are concerned about ondra giving something more publicity then why generate more click bait about it)

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Ondra in Israel
December 17, 2017, 07:12:40 pm
Given the high feelings that Palestine/Israel discussion generates - both in its contested history and more contemporary events, it seems bonkers for someone like Ondra with his (up to now) unblemished profile to take up the offer and go there.

However you go, whoever you see, however much balance you try to strike - it is near impossible to avoid pissing someone off and generating some controversy in this area/region/issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal