UKBouldering.com

How many pulley injuries before its game over (Read 3882 times)

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
  • "If you don't let go, you can't fall off !" Jerry
How many pulley injuries before its game over
November 22, 2017, 08:08:45 pm
Having had a pulley injury at the start of this year, started wondering how many pulley injuries you could have before they become completely shot and beyond repair.

What do people reckon?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
x+2

with x being the number you have already had.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
The answer is, don't think about it.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
Depends on the seriousness of each injury: strain, partial tear (of varying degrees), full rupture?

Could always change the game! Climb cracks, slopers, pockets, anything you don't have to crimp.

skelf

• regular
None, your tendons get stronger and you learn to identify and avoid potentially injurious situations.
The frequency of my pulley tweaks have decreased over the years, despite my climbing slanting more and more towards bouldering and training. (campusing, weighted hangs, repeaters, steep boards etc)

I don't think I've had a tweek in the last 5 years.

ducko

• junky
I have had more finger issues than a p0rn stars had throbbing shafts, mine have all healed up every time some take a month others take best part of a year. My ring fingers used to tweak all the time but I have not tweaked either in a year (touch wood) it's my middle fingers that go now..
Unless you full rupture your body will heal it's just how well you deal with the he stress/annoyance of being out injured, I find this part the hardest and has almost convinced me to quit a few times.
Careful use of holds is good advice as well as being aware of your body I.e if you're tired, not warmed up etc
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:45:44 pm by ducko »

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
I have had more finger issues than a p0rn stars had throbbing shafts, mine have all healed up every time some take a month others take best part of a year. My ring fingers used to tweak all the time but I have not tweaked either in a year (touch wood) it's my middle fingers that go now..
Unless you full rupture your body will heal it's just how well you deal with the he stress/annoyance of being out injured, I find this part the hardest and has almost convinced me to quit a few times.
Careful use of holds is good advice as well as being aware of your body I.e if you're tired, not warmed up etc

Not entirely sure that climbing on my board on tiny crimps when not fully warmed up, did me much good! Spend about half my session time warming up now!

ducko

• junky
When I'm healed up I'll be avoiding ratty holds and focusing on harder moves on bigger holds as recommended by a friend of mine who happens to be strong as fuck, he switched from small holds to hard moves on bigger holds because if finger issues and he's got so much stronger

ducko

• junky
Obviously you'll want to re introduce small holds at some point ;)

Alex Smurthwaite

• addict
Obviously you'll want to re introduce small holds at some point ;)

Starting using small crimps again but anything that looks remotely tweaky i try and stay away from. Mainly weird pockets and monos. Although used a mono outdoors a few days ago and was pleasantly suprised to see my finger still attached to my hand! ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
None, your tendons get stronger and you learn to identify and avoid potentially injurious situations.
The frequency of my pulley tweaks have decreased over the years, despite my climbing slanting more and more towards bouldering and training. (campusing, weighted hangs, repeaters, steep boards etc)

I don't think I've had a tweek in the last 15 years.

Me neither, touch wood. My elbows or shoulders seem to go long before my fingers do these days. I did loads in my early years though, so much scar tissue on knuckles my fingers barely touch...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal