UKBouldering.com

Cowperstone graffiti (Read 19781 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 01:11:37 pm
Some of you will have noticed the recent graffiti on top of the Cowperstone.

Initial attempts to remove it with water, wire brush and conservation volunteers were not successful. Tom the ranger has now got hold of some paint remover but needs a few climber-types to help with removal.

Any volunteers?

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 01:26:25 pm
Im away until 27th November but would be happy to lend a hand after that. I'll drop you a PM with my contact details in a sec.

Nigel

• forum hero
#2 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 01:28:38 pm
Yep, I'll volunteer, been annoying me for ages. Get in touch direct word.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 02:56:27 pm
I'll lend a hand Adam.

danm

• junky
#4 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 06:13:07 pm
Me too squire

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 15, 2017, 07:10:15 pm
Sounds like you have enough volunteers but assuming a good method is found I'd definitely be up for helping removing graffiti from other grit crags with the same problem.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#6 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 16, 2017, 12:14:00 pm
I'd be happy to help too, if needed.

stone

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 16, 2017, 03:45:20 pm
Apparently this is the only stuff that can be used on the sandstone in central Edinbrugh http://www.graffitiremovalltd.co.uk/our-products/heritage-graffiti-remover

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 18, 2017, 10:31:12 pm
Headed up to the Cowperstone this afternoon and had a reasonably productive test session.

I took stuff for a few different methods. I was hoping in parts where the paint was thick and on dirty rock it might peel off easily but unfortunately very little of it was thick enough. A metal paint scraper was effective for the thicker parts. A wire brush was most effective, the rock appears to be reasonably robust and the scraper take off the paint and some lichen but doesn't do too much damage to the rock. I resorted to some thick gel paint remover, working it in to the texture with a scrubbing brush. After a few minutes the wire brush is now much more effective. I tried to collect as much residue as possible, it was pretty windy when I was up there so some of the flakes blew around. A softer brush/broom would be useful to tidy up. Due to the think type of paint, I doubt 'graffiti remover' type stuff, designed for spray paints would be very effective.

I concentrated on the right hand 'V', I was reasonably pleased with the results despite the shots not looking great, it obviously needs some more work. I took the 'after' shots after I'd rinsed it down with some water, so the surrounding rock was darker and the flash picked out the residue paint.

Before

After

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#9 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 19, 2017, 08:17:49 am
What a fucking eyesore. Would wad but on phone and the IOs aren't down with that.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 19, 2017, 09:45:51 pm
Top effort Toby. This week looks warmer and wetter so could be ideal for more.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 07:51:21 am
Looks grim, well done for making the efforrt. Wadded.

SamT

• forum hero
#12 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 02:07:12 pm
Would a small generator, pressure washer, and several buckets of water (refilled from stream?) be effective??

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#13 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 03:48:32 pm
 :(

Great effort. Wadded.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 06:30:03 pm
Would a small generator, pressure washer, and several buckets of water (refilled from stream?) be effective??
I did consider this Sam, as I have a small genny and pressure washer. However they need a surprising amount of watts. My genny is 800w max and only really good for 500w continuously. Even a small PW needs over 1kw so at least a 2kw genny which is pretty big. Then you need a solid walled hose if your drawing water from a bucket, plus a filter if the waters dirty. A petrol powered PW would be ideal but hiring one is expensive and you'd need a load of water.

I know someone with a battery powered washer designed for bikes but I doubt they are very powerful. We could probably borrow it to test.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 06:41:21 pm
Something like this would be ideal but besides the cost it would be a mission to get it up the track. https://www.hss.com/hire/p/compact-pressure-washer-bowser

Nigel

• forum hero
#16 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 20, 2017, 07:03:43 pm
Pressure washer is a good idea but as Obi says water supply is the main issue here. Obi that hire thing looks great but weighs 78kg! That's not going to the cowperstone unless it gets a ride on a quad with trailer or similar. Looking at a lot of logistics. Alternatively you could ferry in water in shuttles and use it to fill an empty bowser which can all be done with manpower. Then you'd have to overcome genny issue. Big gennies are heavy, very heavy. Overall I would say this would be a last resort after trying mechanical and "light touch" chemical means. However if a small scale pressure washing alternative can be found to test it could be useful.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 07:56:48 am
I wonder how CAN got the sand blasting kit into Froggatt. Neil should be there on Weds.

Nigel

• forum hero
#18 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 08:26:14 am
You could probably pull a pneumatic wheeled trolley along the Froggatt track and leave the kit on top for the work. Not convinced the ground on the way to Cowperstone is suitable for that. You might be able to use a powered tracked wheelbarrow thing though. Or you could just get something strapped to a stretcher and manhandle it but it'd need a lot of hands. Neil could have some good info on the whole process though, its the sort of job that's similar to ones they probably do lots of on the railways.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 09:05:04 am
I have a petrol powered pressure washer (Aldi special) that works well, problem is water supply (the PW does have a pump that can suck water out of a stream but need to buy all the attachments for that

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 10:44:40 am
The stream isn't too far away (50yds?) to ferry water and an empty container wouldn't weigh much. From memory pressure washers don't use as much water as you might think. Question is if it'll shift the paint.

lurcher

• regular
#21 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 10:52:11 am
I wonder how CAN got the sand blasting kit into Froggatt. Neil should be there on Weds.

Kit was taken in on top track with a land-rover i think.  Don't think Cowperstone path wide enough? Portable sandblaster/small compressor would get the best results for sure but be a right pain to get in there unless can do with a 4wd.

CAN did the Froggatt job as a freebie iirc...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#22 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 11:24:31 am
The stream isn't too far away (50yds?) to ferry water and an empty container wouldn't weigh much. From memory pressure washers don't use as much water as you might think. Question is if it'll shift the paint.
It would do in combination with some paint remover. I found a water source next to the main path, is that the one you mean or is there one closer?

A decent pressure washer will clean the rock too much initially, but it should darken down again after a couple of seasons. We can always rub some soil into it to darken it if necessary.

SamT

• forum hero
#23 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 11:44:50 am
We've carried many a generator across fields etc in my caving days. We had one (not sure if we've still got it) that had 'loops' welded to the frame so you could slide two scaff poles in and carry it like a stretcher.

4 people can carry a 8kVa genny to the cowper stone easy.  Not even sure you'd need one that powerful anyway.

That said, Jims petrol pressure washer kills both those stones in one bird.  If it'll suck water (rather than relying on mains pressure) then even better, just a couple of large 'trugs' filled with water from the stream.  And yes, pressure washers use very little water compared with say a garden hose.

Be up for helping subject to being free from kids etc.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Cowperstone graffiti
November 21, 2017, 02:48:48 pm
I found a water source next to the main path, is that the one you mean or is there one closer?

Yeah, the stream to the E comes closer than the path, and has more water. Have a look on the satellite view on google maps: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Burbage+Bridge/@53.3447955,-1.6194886,243m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x61663ebf93d60953!8m2!3d53.3431402!4d-1.6086227

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal