UKBouldering.com

Jerry's new book (Read 5441 times)

remus

• forum hero
Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 09:12:00 am
http://cafekraft.de/laden/produkte/mastermind-en

Has anyone had a read of this yet? Thoughts? Opinions? Worth splashing the cash? It seems like a potentially very interesting subject, though it feels like it could fall pretty close to the self-help end of the spectrum, whereas Id personally be much more interested in a more analytical approach.

Tommy

• junky
#1 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 09:15:01 am
Remus, Lattice has a copy :-)

It's really good - lots of nice stuff in there, opinion from across the whole range of disciplines (sport, boulder, alpine) and has a pretty practical approach to it all. Sat down with Jerry and chatted about it the other day and it was pretty obvious he's proper psyched on something that's actually useful to people.... not just another book for a the point of it. I don't think I've seen him so fired up about something for ages! Well good.

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 09:34:19 am
Mega! I'll get my Lattice library card out and have a read :)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 10:35:08 am
Disconcertingly read that as 'cakecraft' not 'cafekraft'  until I realised it was this new layout playing tricks with my eyes.

Thought Jerry had taken up a totally new career. Could see it selling well though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 11:47:24 am
There are only 3 people in the world who could bake this cake...

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 12:24:33 pm
Sat down with Jerry and chatted about it the other day and it was pretty obvious he's proper psyched on something that's actually useful to people.... not just another book for a the point of it.

This is good to hear as I thought it may have just been that (like the Cafe Kraft book and all the hype that went with it).

user deactivated

#6 Re: Jerry's new book
October 26, 2017, 01:51:00 pm
Is there a chapter on Chi Monkeys?

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Jerry's new book
December 08, 2017, 01:02:17 pm
There is an excerpt from this book on Rock and Ice. http://rockandice.com/climbing-news/jerry-moffats-mastermind-mental-training-climbers/
Reads a bit like it has been through some germanification in the Cafe Kraft style rather than written by a native english speaker.

"I would like to tell you my personal experience of why I sought to find out and desperately needed to know how my mind was working."

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Jerry's new book
March 20, 2018, 09:29:55 am
TL;DR: Think positively, visualise, quote Bruce Lee. That's £30 please.

I've just read someone else's copy of this. It's attractively put together at considerable cost. It's a lively and easy read. There are lots of good Jerry stories, many familiar from Revelations where they are told rather more fluently. There is an impressive cast of interviewees whose stories illustrate the points being made very well. Visualisation is described in some detail and mentioned by many of the great and good. If I try one new thing as a result of the book it will be this.

The proofreading could be better (I'm cheap, available and good). It says nothing new and the material is quite thin.

remus

• forum hero
#9 Re: Jerry's new book
March 20, 2018, 10:39:10 am
Just finished reading it too, good summary duncan.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of depth. Im sure the ideas are sound, but it felt like none of them are explored with any rigour. The basic formula seems to be 'x is important because of u, v and w. Here's some strong people saying it works for them.' It would have been nice if there was a deeper look at the scientific literature (if there is any?) and some more in depth comparisons with other sports.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Jerry's new book
March 21, 2018, 10:25:55 am
I was a bit surprised none of the margins had any references, especially given the co authors.

However, it was worth the £30 for the best day of skiing in the trees I've ever had. The section about visualising where you want to go (i.e. between the trees) rather than what you don't want to happen (i.e. being impaled on a branch).

I've done the exercises (on post it notes rather than defacing my copy). I still remain a tad sceptical.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Jerry's new book
March 21, 2018, 01:26:08 pm
The section about visualising where you want to go (i.e. between the trees) rather than what you don't want to happen (i.e. being impaled on a branch).

Could have told you that for the price of a pint...

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Jerry's new book
March 21, 2018, 01:33:18 pm
I'd have had to know what  ask; I'm sure most of the other stuff in the book is information available elsewhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal