UKBouldering.com

Lightweight waterproof (Read 5686 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 06:45:50 pm
I'm in the market for a lightweight waterproof that stuffs down very small and can be easily chucked in the top of a bag. My mountain equipment something or other (Lahore?) is great but it's a bit bigger than i would like for walking etc when you don't expect it to rain but want something just in case.

I tried the Rab spark which I liked but my girlfriend has it and isn't overly impressed. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

The other option is a cheap plastic pack away thing from decathlon but thought I'd see if anyone recommends anything first...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 07:04:58 pm
Been using a Montane ultralight waterproof since before they became BMC sponsers  :P Decent bit of kit for occasional use, packs into a net bag about the size of a tennis ball. My cycling one doesn't have a hood but think they do some with hoods. Not sure what the current version is.

kelvin

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 07:17:08 pm
I used the superlight Montane one for a while but it was very sweaty. Friends swear by the superlight Berghaus one, looks great but not so cheap.

fried

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
Don't get anything Event (if it still exists). My Rab Event is the biggest piesce of shit I ever bought. Luckily I don't go out in the rain in it. Good windcheater though.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 08:42:53 pm
I've got a Berghaus one (hand-me-down from a mate) and an Arc'teryx one (£50 off sport pursuit). Neither are properly waterproof but are windproof and will do against a shower. They both pack down small enough to clip to the back of a harness and climb Gogarth E5s etc, or will stuff into one of the back pockets on a cycling shirt.

For a proper waterproof that is fairly light I rate the Marmot precip. Bit heavier than event but not shit. I saw a test recently where it came out better than full weight gore tex.

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 08:54:19 pm
I have got one of those Gore shake dry jackets, which was 30% off in a Millets sale. Not used it yet and I hope that will remain the case.

T_B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 08:59:50 pm
For a sub 200gms reasonably priced fully taped seamed jacket, a lot are made from Pertex Shield. I have had a Rab one for five years (similar to the Spark) and it's had a lot of use the past 2 as my fell running shell. It's OK but not very breathable but then I've never found a hard shell that is. I'll replace it with an OR Helium as they're relatively cheap and nothing that light is that durable or waterproof. The Montane/OMM jackets have nice features, but are designed for skinny runners, so are very fitted and size small. This website has a good range listed by weight:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/shell-jackets-c203

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 21, 2017, 11:33:01 pm
Interested in answers as I’m looking for something similar. Currently have montane eVent superfly. Good design, shit material: never very waterproof and delaminated after disappointingly little use.

Also have a montane ultralight. It’s very light and waterproof. Good to stuff in a day pack in case of unexpected storms on long rock routes. Not recommended for regular use as it’s as breathable as a well-cut bin liner.

Anyone used a neoshell jacket?

DubDom

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 22, 2017, 12:53:47 am
A bit heavier (only a bit - 300g) and a bit left field:-
http://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/mens-outdry-ex-light-shell-1711881.html?cgid=technology-outdryExtreme&dwvar_1711881_variationColor=010#prefn1=activity&prefn2=productClass&prefv1=Trail+Running&prefv2=Jackets&start=0
It looks odd and the hood's a bit crap but it is the first jacket I have had in ages that stays waterproof. I'm quite impressed. It's not too bad on breathability, less breathable than goretex, but it does breathe.
worth a look!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 22, 2017, 11:44:55 am
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. After a brief look around online I'm liking the sound of the Montane, OR Helium and potentially an OMM one.

The others look great also but as the price creeps up I'm struggling to justify it given how much I've spent on trips and kit recently...

The ultralite website it really useful, thanks! Many of the suggestions seem to be on there too which made searching a log easier!

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 22, 2017, 06:20:55 pm
I noticed an arc'teryx jacket for sale on Sportpursuit and found a fairly useful side by side review of similar lightweight offerings by Outdoor Gear Lab. It might have been aimed at runners.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 22, 2017, 07:53:15 pm
I certainly found that review but I think it was a group test that included the Incendo (which is lighter), the one I was looking at.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#12 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 22, 2017, 09:22:19 pm
I've got a OR Helium, found it in TK MAxx which was a total win.

It's my "go-to" piece for chucking in the bag if I'm going out on a long run, on the bike, or climbing. I wouldn't chose to go out in a downpour (i.e. rainy hillwalking) and while it is fairly breathable, it is a single-layer so feels clammy next to the skin.

Packs nicely into it's own stuff pocket. So far it's not showing much sign of wear, which is impressive for something so light.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 09:24:22 am
Alpkit Gravitas? Very lightweight and packable. I've not used one but it's something I've got my eye on.

I've a Marmot Precip that's getting on a bit now but has been fine. Not the lightest or most packable, but not a heavy weight either and was a reasonable price when I bought it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 01:46:13 pm
I certainly found that review but I think it was a group test that included the Incendo (which is lighter), the one I was looking at.

I've got an Incendo Paul. It's as light as the Berghaus one but better designed.

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 01:59:30 pm
Good to note although they've run out of my size with a hood:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/search?s=incendo

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 02:10:56 pm
There were very few items in that sale that had sizes other than a medium. I gambled on a medium Kappa and am slowly accepting it's too big for me.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#17 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 07:56:28 pm

I've got an Incendo Paul. It's as light as the Berghaus one but better designed.

How is it for water resistance? Would I be soaked after a 20 minute walk home from work in the rain?

T_B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 08:45:17 pm
It's not a waterproof jkt, no taped seams and just a dwr treatment. It's sold as a windshell.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#19 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 08:57:07 pm
I think that goes for most of these doesn't it? If you want waterproof you need to go up in bulk and weight to Precip or event.

T_B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Lightweight waterproof
October 23, 2017, 09:40:25 pm
Nope. All of those shells listed as 'waterproof' have taped seams. Anyone racing (fell, mountain marathons etc) have to carry gear with taped seams hence manufacturers/marketing blurb has to be clear. Whether or not a super light 'race' shell that's taped is any more waterproof than a decent windshell after 30 mins of heavy rain is doubtful!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal